Coronavirus (COVID-19)

32 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

To be fair, I think he's right about Ruth Davidson. For whatever reason she was a leader able to get through to folk and make the Tories seem a bit less Tory-ish. 

With DRoss in charge, watch then slip silently back down the pecking order.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about his political bias, more about the way he misrepresents news stories and provides needlessly vague links instead of direct ones. Anyone clicking his "source" under the one above about Nick Ferguson will find themselves on a twitter feed where he's not mentioned at all, however far you scroll down, and then trying to sift through 3 hours of the Today programme. Not many will bother so they'll take his tweet at face value. There was a particularly bad one the other day that suggested a new variant was raging through Russia, turned out they'd found 5 cases of the Peruvian variant and isolated those involved. The only source given was "Reuters", no link to the actual story.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Deal needs to be done between U.K and E.U., eh? I'm doomed then!

Also, what do you mean by the last sentence? There must be checks surely?

UK expats vaccinated abroad will soon be able to have this recognised by the NHS, so hopefully inward EU tourism isn't far behind...

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If beyond level zero doesnt mean no rules, just advice (at worst) then these c***s have absolutely lost the plot.

Ah, but there may be beyond beyond level zero! Maybe that's when they stop making it up as they go along?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t buy the idea that they’re too busy.  Neither do I accept that the majority have had Covid in the last 28 days or have a genuine medical reason.

^ Deemed a perfectly rational voice by the Wee Bully's and TheJTS98's of the board.

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve seen lots of folk on here arguing that deaths should be the benchmark.

I agree with that.  131 deaths is less than the number of people that die due to inactivity every year.  I would guess a large degree of commonality between the two causes.

Edited by strichener

53 minutes ago, superbigal said:

England  managed 59,786 1st Vaccine doses yesterday compared to Scotland's 2,031

They must be mopping up the young ones better, as purely on population that is about 3 times higher than us.

Quite possibly the threat (and only the threat) of vaccine passports having the desired effect. 

42 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Let's not forget that 1,500 people die in the UK every single day, or the fact that in a bad winter for seasonal influenza (i.e. 2017/18) deaths will peak at 300-400 each day. Daily deaths for the peak of this wave likely won't exceed ~200.

Perspective matters.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/895233/Surveillance_Influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2019_to_2020_FINAL.pdf

Have you? Serious question, since I thought NHS loading has been almost exclusively considered the key figure?

Perhaps this has evolved over time?

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Let's not forget that 1,500 people die in the UK every single day, or the fact that in a bad winter for seasonal influenza (i.e. 2017/18) deaths will peak at 300-400 each day. Daily deaths for the peak of this wave likely won't exceed ~200.

Perspective matters.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/895233/Surveillance_Influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2019_to_2020_FINAL.pdf

F6ABDD18-51CE-4079-BA82-5F2DC6032985.thumb.jpeg.03a1b4756ccfe65c922e9468ee026194.jpeg

9 minutes ago, The Master said:

Quite possibly the threat (and only the threat) of vaccine passports having the desired effect. 

That’s probably true but won’t be liked by certain posters on here.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Have you? Serious question, since I thought NHS loading has been almost exclusively considered the key figure?

Perhaps this has evolved over time?

For me it has always been about hospitalisations and deaths.  These tracked cases (so cases were important) until this current wave where they are now massively disconnected. 

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

F6ABDD18-51CE-4079-BA82-5F2DC6032985.thumb.jpeg.03a1b4756ccfe65c922e9468ee026194.jpeg

Covid deaths in this exit wave now running at about half that of a bad seasonal influenza. A real dull yin for the sanctimonious bores who never used to give a f**k about old duffers snuffing it in the winter because there was next to no political capital at stake in doing so.

1 minute ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone notice what JL said today.

"Some kind of winter wave expected, we just don't know the scale of it" plus said some restrictions may have to return. 

Talking out his arse as usual. No real surprise. The only restriction should be The Dentist restricted from the limelight.

8 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone notice what JL said today.

"Some kind of winter wave expected, we just don't know the scale of it" plus said some restrictions may have to return. 

A respiratory virus making an appearance in the winter, consider me shocked! It's like winter waves of cold and flu never happened pre March 2020. As for restrictions coming back, get that idea to fck. Boosters will be on the go as well as the flu vaccine. JL theres no need to shit the bed 

Edited by Thereisalight..

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d agree with that with probably the first group you mention being the largest.  

It's definitely the biggest group. It's no coincidence that it's the age group with the lowest rate of GP and dentist registration too.

Aye nae bother, Jason.

Posted at 15:14

Prof Sian Griffiths: Latest data 'very reassuring'

Copyright: BBC

Prof Sian Griffiths, of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, tells BBC Scotland's Coronavirus Update programme that if 90% of the population are protected via the vaccination programme then it will stop the transmission of the virus.

Overall, she highlights the positive impact of the school holidays, warmer weather and the increasing uptake of vaccinations.

She says: "Within England, when they relaxed the rules it was not the 'Freedom Day' concept.

"By the time the day came everybody was talking in much more cautious language".

She adds: "The data today was very reassuring as you look to move beyond level zero."

As a side-note, what is this waffle from Sturgeon?

15:18

'Everything is going in the right direction and we should be really positive'

The first minister wraps up today's briefing by reiterating that she believes great strides continue to be made in dealing with the pandemic.

"The news today is good. Everything is going in the right direct and we should be really positive about that. But it doesn't happen by accident - it's the care and caution and continued forbearance around mitigations and vaccinations that is getting us to this stronger position. And therefore some of that is going to be needed for a period longer to keep us in that position.

Nicola Sturgeon
First Minister

There is precisely zero justification for a single restriction remaining in place post August 9.

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Aye nae bother, Jason.

As a side-note, what is this waffle from Sturgeon?

There is precisely zero justification for a single restriction remaining in place post August 9.

I suspect she’s referring to things like face masks. Imo she’ll take the Welsh approach of dropping them in hospitality but keeping them in shops and public transport.

I’ll be very surprised if there isn’t also some sort of testing requirement for nightclubs.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I suspect she’s referring to things like face masks. Imo she’ll take the Welsh approach of dropping them in hospitality but keeping them in shops and public transport.

I’ll be very surprised if there isn’t also some sort of testing requirement for nightclubs.

But how long will they remain? Will we get a criteria for dropping all mandatory mask laws?

38 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

But how long will they remain? Will we get a criteria for dropping all mandatory mask laws?

Of course we won’t. 

”For some time yet” will be as good as we get.

Non committal pish. Probably has never been a single comment to come from a government that has infuriated me so much.