Coronavirus (COVID-19)

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This gets me every time it's brought up. WTF was wrong with driving his wife to the supermarket and staying in the car while she did the shopping? It's the kind of nit picking pseudo moralising shite Starmer would come up with, avoiding speaking about anything meaningful.

P.S. Not in reference to the post above which appeared while I was posting this.

At the time, we were all being told to stay in the hoose as much as possible and only leave for essential reasons. On a personal note, I was being driven stir crazy by being in the hoose for 23.5 hours a day with two autistic kids whose entire routine had been fucked off and a four-month old, and attempting to work from home full-time.

I've said it a few times on this thread, but folk look back at the early scaremongering as if it was hilarious. A lot of folk forget that last March we were seeing footage from other countries of mass graves and the military driving around streets ordering folk back to their homes. Yon GD himself was even predicting something mental like ninety billion people dead within 37 seconds or something like that.

I think folk (myself included) were quite right to question why a grown man couldn't do the shopping himself and had to drive his wife to the shops to do it. There was also the scenario that if something happened to the car (breakdown, accident etc.) there were more people involved than was absolutely necessary.

The absolute pinnacle of the episode was when he took an absolute cream puff and said that people who didn't understand were absolute VLs who had never had their hole.

Wow. I'm pretty flabbergasted by this.

See tweet for the steps taken to admit spectators to matches at an amateur football ground. Details including:

* Intalling temporary changing rooms on an adjacent plot of farmland.
* Building a new pathway to the ground from those temporary changing rooms.
* Putting two thirds of the perimeter of the pitch "out of bounds" to spectators.
* Asking spectators to avoid face-to-face contact, and avoid touching their own faces.
* Face coverings strongly encouraged in all outdoor settings.

In context, the average crowd here at games I've been to must be about 20.

I just can't comprehend the level of detail, expense and effort made here. A complete surfeit of caution.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

At the time, we were all being told to stay in the hoose as much as possible and only leave for essential reasons. On a personal note, I was being driven stir crazy by being in the hoose for 23.5 hours a day with two autistic kids whose entire routine had been fucked off and a four-month old, and attempting to work from home full-time.

I've said it a few times on this thread, but folk look back at the early scaremongering as if it was hilarious. A lot of folk forget that last March we were seeing footage from other countries of mass graves and the military driving around streets ordering folk back to their homes. Yon GD himself was even predicting something mental like ninety billion people dead within 37 seconds or something like that.

I think folk (myself included) were quite right to question why a grown man couldn't do the shopping himself and had to drive his wife to the shops to do it. There was also the scenario that if something happened to the car (breakdown, accident etc.) there were more people involved than was absolutely necessary.

The absolute pinnacle of the episode was when he took an absolute cream puff and said that people who didn't understand were absolute VLs who had never had their hole.

^^^ not getting a vote for ‘poster of the year’ from this guy.  :(

This gets me every time it's brought up. WTF was wrong with driving his wife to the supermarket and staying in the car while she did the shopping? It's the kind of nit picking pseudo moralising shite Starmer would come up with, avoiding speaking about anything meaningful.
P.S. Not in reference to the post above which appeared while I was posting this.
It's also a symptom of twitter /social media message board discussions, which are in no way natural.

Tiny details or faults are jumped on by all and sundry - and a pile on ensues. It's then brought up repeatedly to belittle the poster (or celebrity /writer/politician etc.) for the rest of time.

It's all very unedifying.

Bit of a stushie brewing with the figures being released...seemingly if you have had a positive test before say a year ago  and then test positive again it's not counted in the figures

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd have thought you'd have a bit of sympathy for a woman who wanted a half an hour out of the house shopping and away from Granny, with infinitesimal  risk to anyone else.

It will be interesting to see if our cases suddenly sky rocket now that Golf courses have rakes in the bunkers, flags that can be removed and ball washers and Air machines which can now be used.

Personally I fired right in to the lot of them over this weekend (granted the bunker ones were unwanted) so I'm just hoping that both myself and other crazy risk taking Golfers manage to survive this unscathed.

My guess is that we just might........

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd have thought you'd have a bit of sympathy for a woman who wanted a half an hour out of the house shopping and away from Granny, with infinitesimal  risk to anyone else.

The whole point was that at the time we didn't know it was only an infinitesimal risk.

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's also a symptom of twitter /social media message board discussions, which are in no way natural.

Tiny details or faults are jumped on by all and sundry - and a pile on ensues. It's then brought up repeatedly to belittle the poster (or celebrity /writer/politician etc.) for the rest of time.

It's all very unedifying.

Very good point, could you imagine in real life meeting up with friends in the pub and them saying,

"oh, do you remember the time when you said something which may have been construed by some to be offensive ?".

Yes, if that was the conversation then I'd think that would be a rather boring night out !!!

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The whole point was that at the time we didn't know it was only an infinitesimal risk.

The only added risk was if they were both hospitalised after a car crash on their short journey on the way to or back from the supermarket, and the hospital had plus one to deal with. At the time people were saying, ok, but what if Granny got out of the car to help his wife load the shopping into the boot. We're talking Granny Danger here.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Mrs. Back just told me that people are saying on her whatsapp group chat that the local supermarket looks like a plague of locusts have been through it.

Our Tesco is exactly the same, half of the shelves are empty and they're struggling with deliveries arriving apparently.

Like everything else though, the minute you announce "there's no need to panic buy", then there's only one thing liable to happen.

Human nature.

Guest TheJTS98
2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I suspect that Craig & I would not get along irl, yet he is correct here. If someone wants to increase their chances of catching a potentially life threatening and/or debilitating illness that is their call, no idea why they would choose to go down that path but that is the choice they made. 

I am happy knowing I have the vaccine & as a result will be protected against the worst case scenario, the anti vaxxers have hit the gamble button & that is their decision to live or die with.

This isn't quite accurate.

The unvaccinated are a risk to the wider population. They keep the virus in circulation, which means greater danger for those who cannot be vaccinated, and they increase the chance of variants, possibly resulting in more dangerous or vaccine-resistant strains emerging.

We also know that even among the vaccinated, there is a certain amount of breakthrough serious illness and death. The more people avoid being vaccinated, the more fully vaccinated people that will happen to.

Different views are justifiable in terms of what 'punishment' if any there should be for not being vaccinated, but people who choose not to get vaccinated are stupid, selfish, and dangerous.

It's not as simple as saying 'it's their choice'. It affects the rest of us.

Edited by TheJTS98

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The only added risk was if they were both hospitalised after a car crash on their short journey on the way to or back from the supermarket, and the hospital had plus one to deal with. 

So it was an added un-necessary risk then.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Our Tesco is exactly the same, half of the shelves are empty and they're struggling with deliveries arriving apparently.

Like everything else though, the minute you announce "there's no need to panic buy", then there's only one thing liable to happen.

Human nature.

After watching the news last week I said to her that panic buying would be back by the weekend.  No idea what’s wrong with people.

Can add sneering at a worried business owner to stop being selfish about wanting the easing of restrictions, whilst simultaneously having a business in a sector benefitting from an absolute boom as a result of said restrictions, to Old Man Danger's list of delightful attributes.

Why are folk simping for the hypocritical, brexit-voting auld duffer?

Edited by Todd_is_God