Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Daily Cases Update:  Day 19 of dropping cases and down a fantastic 5.26% to 203.7    Infectivity drops sharply again to 7.3%  Every mainland council with exception of East & North Ayrshire have falls.  Our top spot Midlothian if  parachuted to England would be their best performing council.

The UK is however levelling out. Wales on day 2 of falls.  Northern Ireland still strangely out of control up another 15.70% in 1 day. Belfast appears to be the problem.

In Europe at the top Spain & Netherlands now already on the decline. Only France and Italy from a low start on a substantial upwards path currently.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days from 16th July to 22nd July  were  11,750 now 11,132 down 5.26%.  Positivity was 7.6%  now 7.3%.   Cases per 100k were  215.0  now 203.7

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average 497.1 to 502.1 up 1.03%, England 540.0 to 545.1 up 0.94%, Wales  207.4 to 206.7 down 0.34%, Northern Ireland  401.2 to 464.2 up 15.70%

Really kicking off in Northern Ireland where cases have risen 45% in 3 days.

Latest European figures today. Spain  385.3 to 341.4 , Netherlands  327.6 to 294.0 ,  Portugal  229.1 to 226.4, France 166.3 to 188.8, Greece 180.3 to 179.5, Ireland  171.6 to 170.9, Russia 116.8 to 116.0  No other European nation above 100.    Poland, Rumania, Slovakia, Hungary, Bosnia, Albania, North Macedonia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Czech Rep, Serbia, Latvia, Moldova, Slovenia, Sweden, Croatia, Norway & Austria are all under 30 cases per 100K. Where are their 3rd waves ?

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Midlothian  306.0 to 272.7 Down an astonishing 23.25% in 2 days.

North Lanarkshire   272.0 to 263.8  Expect will be top tomorrow.

East Lothian  270.6 to 246.5 

Glasgow City   251.6 to 243.2

East Renfrewshire  248.8 to 242.6 

City Of Edinburgh   259.5 to 236.7  19th day in a row of dropping. Down excellent 10%

West Dunbartonshire    242.2 to 233.2

Dundee City   243.2 to 231.2  19th day in a row of dropping. Slides down the charts. 

West Lothian  241.5 to 224.7 

Fife 222.6 to 207.9  

Inverclyde 206.3 to 202.4  

Falkirk  209.3 to 199.3

Renfrewshire  203.5 to 195.7

East Dunbartonshire   212.4 to 194.9

South Lanarkshire   199.5 to 194.5

Clackmannanshire   204.7 to 193.0  

East Ayrshire  185.0 to 189.1  4 days of rises in a row. 

Angus  186.5 to 183.0 

Perth & Kinross    196.8 to 182.3  

South Ayrshire    193.5 to 179.2 

Aberdeen City   188.2 to 173.8

Stirling   172.2 to 167.9

Argyll & Bute  166.2 to 165.0

Shetland Islands  148.7 to 157.4

Dumfries & Galloway    178.0 to 168.6

Scottish  Borders   162.3 to 149.7  

Highlands  156.7 to 149.3

Moray  147.3 to 139.0

North Ayrshire   122.2 to 125.9

Aberdeenshire   128.1 to 120.4

Western Isles    113.2 to 117.0

Orkney Islands  35.7 to 35.7

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Daily Cases Update:  Day 19 of dropping cases and down a fantastic 5.26% to 203.7    Infectivity drops sharply again to 7.3%  Every mainland council with exception of East & North Ayrshire have falls.  Our top spot Midlothian if  parachuted to England would be their best performing council.

The UK is however levelling out. Wales on day 2 of falls.  Northern Ireland still strangely out of control up another 15.70% in 1 day. Belfast appears to be the problem.

In Europe at the top Spain & Netherlands now already on the decline. Only France and Italy from a low start on a substantial upwards path currently.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days from 16th July to 22nd July  were  11,750 now 11,132 down 5.26%.  Positivity was 7.6%  now 7.3%.   Cases per 100k were  215.0  now 203.7

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average 497.1 to 502.1 up 1.03%, England 540.0 to 545.1 up 0.94%, Wales  207.4 to 206.7 down 0.34%, Northern Ireland  401.2 to 464.2 up 15.70%

Really kicking off in Northern Ireland where cases have risen 45% in 3 days.

Latest European figures today. Spain  385.3 to 341.4 , Netherlands  327.6 to 294.0 ,  Portugal  229.1 to 226.4, France 166.3 to 188.8, Greece 180.3 to 179.5, Ireland  171.6 to 170.9, Russia 116.8 to 116.0  No other European nation above 100.    Poland, Rumania, Slovakia, Hungary, Bosnia, Albania, North Macedonia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Czech Rep, Serbia, Latvia, Moldova, Slovenia, Sweden, Croatia, Norway & Austria are all under 30 cases per 100K. Where are their 3rd waves ?

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Midlothian  306.0 to 272.7 Down an astonishing 23.25% in 2 days.

North Lanarkshire   272.0 to 263.8  Expect will be top tomorrow.

East Lothian  270.6 to 246.5 

Glasgow City   251.6 to 243.2

East Renfrewshire  248.8 to 242.6 

City Of Edinburgh   259.5 to 236.7  19th day in a row of dropping. Down excellent 10%

West Dunbartonshire    242.2 to 233.2

Dundee City   243.2 to 231.2  19th day in a row of dropping. Slides down the charts. 

West Lothian  241.5 to 224.7 

Fife 222.6 to 207.9  

Inverclyde 206.3 to 202.4  

Falkirk  209.3 to 199.3

Renfrewshire  203.5 to 195.7

East Dunbartonshire   212.4 to 194.9

South Lanarkshire   199.5 to 194.5

Clackmannanshire   204.7 to 193.0  

East Ayrshire  185.0 to 189.1  4 days of rises in a row. 

Angus  186.5 to 183.0 

Perth & Kinross    196.8 to 182.3  

South Ayrshire    193.5 to 179.2 

Aberdeen City   188.2 to 173.8

Stirling   172.2 to 167.9

Argyll & Bute  166.2 to 165.0

Shetland Islands  148.7 to 157.4

Dumfries & Galloway    178.0 to 168.6

Scottish  Borders   162.3 to 149.7  

Highlands  156.7 to 149.3

Moray  147.3 to 139.0

North Ayrshire   122.2 to 125.9

Aberdeenshire   128.1 to 120.4

Western Isles    113.2 to 117.0

Orkney Islands  35.7 to 35.7

Summer time and school holidays all over Europe will obviously see a drop in cases. 

As to the countries you've named that are all under 30 cases per 100k, the only one's I would trust to report accurately are Sweden, Norway and Austria. 

44 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Not quite the truth as she was in mandatory quarantine but had her visa cancelled for being a stupid c**t and deported.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-19/katie-hopkins-visa-cancelled-deported-channel-seven/100303648

Seems though she comes out of it ok as 

Endemol Shine, the production company behind Big Brother, has reportedly paid the Brit $200,000 as a result of a "pay or play" provision, which requires actors to be paid their full sum, even if their job is cancelled early.

Channel 7 is also obligated to pay out almost $60,000 for travel expenses, which included business class airfares for the polarising star.

Hope they find a way out of paying her, like causing reputational damage or something, but delicious that she got deported on the last day of her quarantine.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Among the news feed I found this gem -

https://www.businessinsider.com/london-anti-vaxxer-says-healthcare-workers-face-nuremberg-style-trials-2021-7?r=US&IR=T

Anti-vaxx conspiracy theorist tells rally that healthcare workers fighting COVID could face Nuremberg-style trialsKate Shemirani speaks to thousands of protesters during the demonstration.

Mass anti-vaxx protests occurred in London last night, with one conspiracy theorist causing outrage for telling doctors and nurses that they could be tried and hung in Nuremberg-style trials. 

Speaking at the protests were several renowned right-wing conspiracy theorists, including David Icke, Katie Hopkins - who just got refused entry to Australia for refusing to produce COVID-19 documentation - and Gillian McKeith. 

The protest, dubbed a "worldwide rally for freedom," in London's Trafalgar Square was held five days after England lifted most of its COVID restrictions. 

Kate Shemirani, a former nurse who was struck off the Nursing and Midwifery Council in June 2021 for spreading COVID misinformation, addressed the crowd.

She told them: "Get their names [of doctors and nurses]. Email them to me. With a group of lawyers, we are collecting all that. At the Nuremberg Trials, the doctors and nurses stood trial, and they hung. If you are a doctor or a nurse, now is the time to get off that bus... and stand with us, the people," reported The Independent.

Shemirani's comments have caused a major uproar - not just for endangering and undermining the efforts of healthcare workers in the pandemic - but also for their antisemitic overtones. 

The Nuremberg Trials were a series of military tribunals held after World War II to convict Nazis of their war crimes, including six million Jews and other minorities for medical trials. 

The documentation from the Nursing and Midwifery council's case against Shemirani shows the scale of her conspiratorial beliefs - including stating that "you can't catch a virus," describing the "genocidal" NHS as "murdering patients," and claiming that vaccines have been "rushed through" because "they want to kill you."

Joining Shemirani was David Icke, an infamous conspiracy theorist who told crowds, "staggering numbers of people worldwide will die from the fake vaccination." He added: "It's the pandemic of the fake vaccinated."

Piers Corbyn - brother of the former Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn - also spoke, saying, "you're much more likely to die or get ill from the jab that you are from COVID."  

The UK has one of the highest vaccination rates globally, with 80% of adults have received at least one dose and 55.4% both. These rates are linking to low hospitalization in the UK. 

Following on from this, found an interesting thread on Twitter relating to sound bites of the conspiracy theorists mentioned above along with a few more besides. Genuinely don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

The latest chat is that Spain, Greece and Portugal are being put on the UK's "amber+" list which just seems completely bizarre / wrong when they are all much less than the UK and are all reducing by the day, unlike the UK.

Surely the aviation industry, media and general public should start to make a stand here as it's tantamount to keeping people imprisoned in the country so as they will spend their money here as opposed to elsewhere.

As for the compulsory testing even for the double jagged, again, it's just pure profiteering and another way of keeping people here by making it so difficult and expensive to even attempt a holiday abroad.

Utter nonsense, the lot of it !!!

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You can dress it up any way you want, but you are arguing here for a segregated society and/or forced medical treatment. I don't like the fact that some people have chosen not to be vaccinated, but ultimately they have autonomy over their own body and should have the right to do so without being excluded from society as a result.

I don't accept that your rights to be in a public place outweigh any other person's rights, regardless of medical status. It absolutely is a step towards authoritarianism to restrict access to places to completely healthy people based on the possibility that they might have a virus. I have kept myself out of harm's way by getting vaccinated and thus vastly reducing my (probably already low) chances of serious illness, and I am content that that is sufficient protection for me without advocating for shutting other people out of places where I will be going.

All of that is even before we consider the potential for indirect discrimination here, given that many minorities and marginalised groups are more likely to be vaccine hesitant based on historical medical abuse of their communities.

craigkillie - the anti-vaxers’ friend.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Another day, another utterly shite post from old man Danger.

Do you really have so little to contribute?

That’s ironic.

ETA If we were to go back to the dark days of the first lockdown and there had been any suggestion of an effective vaccine I don’t not think anyone would be sticking up for folk who refused to get vaccinated unless it was for a very good reason.

Edited by Granny Danger

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

If we don't have vaccine passports then we'll have an equally segregated society, only it's the diseased people who'll have all the freedoms while the rest of us are forced out. That's the wrong way round.

It's been said already by multiple but actually advocating for this Tory government to segregate people on any basis is proper minging stuff. You should be ashamed of yourself.

57 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Summer time and school holidays all over Europe will obviously see a drop in cases. 

As to the countries you've named that are all under 30 cases per 100k, the only one's I would trust to report accurately are Sweden, Norway and Austria. 

I kind of hope cases absolutely go through the roof in Scotland and UK. I think the only way out of restrictions (including masks and vaccine passports) is showing that the link between hospitalisations and cases has been completely destroyed.. 

That’s ironic.
ETA If we were to go back to the dark days of the first lockdown and there had been any suggestion of an effective vaccine I don’t not think anyone would be sticking up for folk who refused to get vaccinated unless it was for a very good reason.
No one is sticking up for anyone who decides not to get vaccinated. These people seem to be pretty universally held in disdain on the thread.

People are sticking up for the right to choose. As with many things in life, people have a right to make choices that a good number of us might find anything from a bit unsavoury to utterly horrifying, yet the decent among us would defend their right to the choice.

I suspect that Craig & I would not get along irl, yet he is correct here. If someone wants to increase their chances of catching a potentially life threatening and/or debilitating illness that is their call, no idea why they would choose to go down that path but that is the choice they made. 

I am happy knowing I have the vaccine & as a result will be protected against the worst case scenario, the anti vaxxers have hit the gamble button & that is their decision to live or die with.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

No one is sticking up for anyone who decides not to get vaccinated. These people seem to be pretty universally held in disdain on the thread.

People are sticking up for the right to choose. As with many things in life, people have a right to make choices that a good number of us might find anything from a bit unsavoury to utterly horrifying, yet the decent among us would defend their right to the choice.

They have the right to chose.  I’m not arguing for them to be held down and vaccinated against their will.  I am arguing that stopping them from participating in certain activities is certainly valid.  I’m not arguing this through malice but rather it will minimise the spread of Covid which in turn will lead to a return to normality.

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's been said already by multiple but actually advocating for this Tory government to segregate people on any basis is proper minging stuff. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If it was a left wing Labour Government mandating it for the common good, and to allow those who for health reasons can't take the jag, to get out and about, would you reconsider?

6 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I suspect that Craig & I would not get along irl, yet he is correct here. If someone wants to increase their chances of catching a potentially life threatening and/or debilitating illness that is their call, no idea why they would choose to go down that path but that is the choice they made. 

I am happy knowing I have the vaccine & as a result will be protected against the worst case scenario, the anti vaxxers have hit the gamble button & that is their decision to live or die with.

It's not true though is it? Anti-vaxxers aren't just affecting themselves.

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

That reminds me of a discussion very early on in this thread.  If such folk were only a risk to themselves I really couldn’t care less but a virus doesn’t work like that.

That reminds me of a discussion very early on in this thread.  If such folk were only a risk to themselves I really couldn’t care less but a virus doesn’t work like that.
The vaccines dont work like that either.

The virus is, in the case of at least one of them, considered more a threat to the younger cohort than the virus.

They can still catch, they can still spread. So can you.

There is absolutely no case for setting the precedent that folk have to prove their medical history to get by a door.

Some folk still seem to think shrieking that THIS IS NOT THE FLU is some sort of moral high ground, but it is actually now very similar to the flu. We have never mandated flu vaccines. No one has ever tried, and its never been a mainstream point of discussion.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I get that, but my risk of being infected to a serious degree is limited by being vaccinated, if they want to take the risk then they can batter in but I will not be shedding a tear if they come to a sticky end. It is their choice & I personally choose to be as protected as I can possibly be while still getting on with my life.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it was a left wing Labour Government mandating it for the common good, and to allow those who for health reasons can't take the jag, to get out and about, would you reconsider?

No.

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's not true though is it? Anti-vaxxers aren't just affecting themselves.

The vaccinated are very well protected against the virus. It won't prevent all infections and some people will unfortunately still suffer serious illness, but the level of pretection from the vaccines is very high. The risk of facing a person with covid isn't the same as it was 7 or 8 months ago. 

Measles is a highly infectious disease, yet we aren't asking for proof of MMR vaccine status. The case numbers in the UK are thankfully small, but are undoubtedly a lot higher than they should be thanks to the junk Andrew Wakefield published. 

Similarly, a not insignificant amount of people die of flu every year and we aren't restricting access based on who has/hasn't had their flu jag. I know Covid isn't the flu, but if we're not taking the risk with Covid and demand proof of vaccine then you might want to ask why the risk of other illnesses seemingly is tolerable.