Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

the fact is that the mood in country actually supports some kind of lockdown being in place. 

I think it's impossible to say what the overall mood in the country is tbh. What is reported in various polls is not reflected in what you see in pictures and videos of football stadia / racecourses / London during the Euros etc.

Taking the result of a YouGov poll of around 1,000 people as reflective of the mood is no better than taking this thread as being reflective of the mood. Both are effectively  echo chambers filled with user lists at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Turn off the furlough tap, flood the media with images of gigs / people enjoying their lives again etc and see the overall mood then.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Infections drop 18 days in a row. So in fact they start dropping right after the school holidays start.

Would it be insanity to start betting my mortgage on the wild guess that infections start increasing again from around the middle of August.....just around the point where schools go back again ?

Why the f**k do the government and health authorities not start admitting that the drive in cases is directly connected to kids in school ? 

Why would they rise again?  More jagged and more immune through infection.

You aren’t grasping this herd immunity concept are you?

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Admittedly I've only looked on the BBC news and sky news pages, but absolutely nothing about the protests in Glasgow and London today. I find that strange as they were quick to praise/condemn other marches like BLM, Rangers, Palestine, euro crowds etc 

Nice day out?

Had a quick glance of his twitter,,what a boring melt.
I'm sure his 140 followers hang on his every word.

I don’t understand why so many people are worked up about sports days.

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If it works, brilliant, and if it doesn't I won't blame them for giving it a go, basically I agree with the strategy. But the rest of the world including the WHO are saying it's dangerous for a reason, if you let transmission go rampant, even with the vulnerable protected, the more chance the virus has to mutate into something deadlier and vaccine resistant, and that's not something that would only affect the UK. Wuhan 2.0. Nothing is risk free. All the signs are that it's working though, so fingers crossed.

Guest Bob Mahelp
32 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It's a fact that a huge number of cases are occuring amongst unvaccinated children in schools and colleges. Once these schools go back in, I'll guarantee that case numbers will rise. 

More cases amongst schoolchildren = more parents isolating together with the fact that these cases are reported daily in  news outlets, adding to the perception that this is a disease that is rife amingst the general population = a belief amongst many that continued restrictions are necessary. 

I don't see why that is so hard to grasp. 

31 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Admittedly I've only looked on the BBC news and sky news pages, but absolutely nothing about the protests in Glasgow and London today. I find that strange as they were quick to praise/condemn other marches like BLM, Rangers, Palestine, euro crowds etc 

Why should they give the oxygen of publicity to these fucking nutjobs? 

30 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I don’t understand why so many people are worked up about sports days.

I think I said this before  but the kids I teach all  said they much preferred sports day this year without parents being there.  Probably goes to show that a lot of the complaining about events like nursery graduations, sports day, primary school leavers proms etc. comes from parents who want to plaster it all over the social media for likes and comments.  

Young folk will have been disproportionately shafted long term by all of this, but we don’t discuss that anywhere near as much as you seem to hear complaints about parents being banned from school events.  

Edited by super_carson

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That'sthe point that may well drive any future decisions. 

I hope there won't be any future restrictions, but I suspect it's not as black and white as you make out. The government has an established history of U-turns, and the fact is that the mood in country actually supports some kind of lockdown being in place. 

Everything is still in the balance, as far I can see. 

Not any more it isn't.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it works, brilliant, and if it doesn't I won't blame them for giving it a go, basically I agree with the strategy. But the rest of the world including the WHO are saying it's dangerous for a reason, if you let transmission go rampant, even with the vulnerable protected, the more chance the virus has to mutate into something deadlier and vaccine resistant, and that's not something that would only affect the UK. Wuhan 2.0. Nothing is risk free. All the signs are that it's working though, so fingers crossed.

This is as equally likely a scenario as an entirely new virus emerging which sparks an entirely new pandemic. Not something we obsess daily life over. Bin.