Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

From the anti vaccine rally in London today, this thread is pretty eye opening. It’s made for that meme where you list increasing mad things alongside photos of Vince McMahon.

Katie Hopkins joining in as well, just in case anyone attending had any doubts about the sort of person these events attract. 

Whenever you think they've hit the floor, they find a way of proving you wrong. I think Mark Steele is probably the most unhinged of the lot. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Infections drop 18 days in a row. So in fact they start dropping right after the school holidays start.

Would it be insanity to start betting my mortgage on the wild guess that infections start increasing again from around the middle of August.....just around the point where schools go back again ?

Why the f**k do the government and health authorities not start admitting that the drive in cases is directly connected to kids in school ? 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Katie Hopkins joining in as well, just in case anyone attending had any doubts about the sort of person these events attract. 

Whenever you think they've hit the floor, they find a way of proving you wrong. I think Mark Steele is probably the most unhinged of the lot. 

I just went oh naw, not Mark Steel surely? Wrong Mark..

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Infections drop 18 days in a row. So in fact they start dropping right after the school holidays start.

Would it be insanity to start betting my mortgage on the wild guess that infections start increasing again from around the middle of August.....just around the point where schools go back again ?

Why the f**k do the government and health authorities not start admitting that the drive in cases is directly connected to kids in school ? 

But ma two huvny hud it

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s so nice to see folk out and about having fun again. Beaches here have been busy, fitba games enjoyable sans masks. Folk have well and truly chucked the fear now, apart from the lovejoys who’ll either be left behind or find something else to hide behind the front door about. Good luck to the govts trying to enforce any more “rules” or domestic vaccine status requirements. People know the game is up 

That was all said a year ago. 

If....and I mean IF....the government start introducing restrictions again, there'll be f**k all 'people' can do about it. We'll go back to the same shit that is legally enforcable. Close down restaurants and bars, stop crowds in sporting and leisure events. 

The UK government has back turned on every single decision they've made in the last 17 months. To think 'the game is up' at this point in time is laughably daft. 

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Been at the full spectrum today and can assure all masks are as good as done in Dundee.

Soft play with the wee lass, coffee shop, supermarket, junior game and boozer. Barely a mask in sight.

Are you claiming that people in supermarkets in Dundee aren’t wearing masks?

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If....and I mean IF....the government start introducing restrictions again, there'll be f**k all 'people' can do about it. We'll go back to the same shit that is legally enforcable. Close down restaurants and bars, stop crowds in sporting and leisure events. 

The UK government has back turned on every single decision they've made in the last 17 months. To think 'the game is up' at this point in time is laughably daft. 

It has to be up. As I say repeatedly the elderly/vulnerable are long double dosed. Vaccines were the end game. They cant uturn on that. Either they have faith in the vaccines or they dont. Currently they're simpering on some sort of middle ground. 

20 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

mainly because education and learning of the young (not to mention the safeguarding school brings for vulnerable children) is one of the most important aspects of our society. 

Drawing negative attention, at the risk of creating fear and kids being kept home, only disadvantages the poor even further.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

14 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The overriding point you make here is true.

However, the success of these measures ultimately relied on a large percentage of compliance, due in no small part to fear and a magic furlough money tree.

If the Government, after giving people their lives back, turn round after 16 months of restrictions and an incredible vaccine programme and say "nope, we can't go back to normal yet" I just can't see the public at large sticking to restrictions again.

Those who have been flouting the rules throughout aren't scared, those going to events etc now clearly aren't scared, and if 16 months and a massive vaccine rollout isn't enough, then people will quite rightly not believe that a wee month lockdown later in the year will turn the tide.

Furlough is ending, and there is no appetite for another 6-12 months of lockdown. The game is up for restrictions.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

However, the success of these measures ultimately relied on a large percentage of compliance, due in no small part to fear and a magic furlough money tree.

Unpopular opinion, but I’m looking at how much furlough has cost the government and thinking it’s fucking mental it even happen in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It has to be up. As I say repeatedly the elderly/vulnerable are long double dosed. Vaccines were the end game. They cant uturn on that. Either they have faith in the vaccines or they dont. Currently they're simpering on some sort of middle ground. 

That isn't just the UK government.  All the devolved administrations are making the same decisions albeit at slight different times.  Based on data we are lead to believe (that data can only be polling numbers)!

Edited by strichener

Just now, Abdul_Latif said:

Unpopular opinion, but I’m looking at how much furlough has cost the government and thinking it’s fucking mental it even happen in the first place.

I don't think it was meant to last 18 months tbh. It was originally planned for 3.

But once they started it, they couldn't pull it.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The overriding point you make here is true.

If the Government, after giving people their lives back, turn round after 16 months of restrictions and an incredible vaccine programme and say "nope, we can't go back to normal yet" I just can't see the public at large sticking to restrictions again.

Those who have been flouting the rules throughout aren't scared, those going to events etc now clearly aren't scared, and if 16 months and a massive vaccine rollout isn't enough, then people will quite rightly not believe that a wee month lockdown later in the year will turn the tide.

Furlough is ending, and there is no appetite for another 6-12 months of lockdown. The game is up for restrictions.

That'sthe point that may well drive any future decisions. 

I hope there won't be any future restrictions, but I suspect it's not as black and white as you make out. The government has an established history of U-turns, and the fact is that the mood in country actually supports some kind of lockdown being in place. 

Everything is still in the balance, as far I can see. 

18 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

They aren't, they are in a slow burn lifting which is aimed at appeasing Lovejoys.

If they genuinely believed lifting all legal restrictions would result in the need for a further lockdown (and the associated costs) they wouldn't have done it.