Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's quite clear in this link too.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/pages/what-you-must-do/

You're making yourself look a bit silly here.

So from that very vague link, can you tell me how long a visit she would be allowed? Is it guaranteed or is it pending having the staffing levels to fulfil the request? What happens if her father’s death is imminent in the middle of the night and the visits are accompanied by serco staff and they cant facilitate it? 
Ive had the issue of having to have someone removed from managed quarantine for an entirely different reason and can attest to the fact it was an absolute cluster to manage. 

Guest TheJTS98
14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So from that very vague link, can you tell me how long a visit she would be allowed? Is it guaranteed or is it pending having the staffing levels to fulfil the request? What happens if her father’s death is imminent in the middle of the night and the visits are accompanied by serco staff and they cant facilitate it? 
Ive had the issue of having to have someone removed from managed quarantine for an entirely different reason and can attest to the fact it was an absolute cluster to manage. 

How would I know?

I know from the experience of friends who have quarantined elsewhere that it always involves a contact number for emergencies, special requests, etc. I'd imagine Scotland is the same and you call that number.

Is that so hard to understand?

The actual details, I don't know. How would I? If they're not spelled out, then I'd imagine they depend on the case.

But what is clear is that the story is definitely not as presented on this thread. Jason Leitch has confirmed in the video above exactly what that 'vague' (?) link says. You can leave to visit a dying relative.

And of course that involves a 'request'. It would be weird if people were just freely strolling out of quarantine.

It's a shite situation, no question. But people on here are acting as if the evil geniuses in charge of public health in Scotland are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of keeping people from their dying relatives. It's moronic bullshit.

Even when presented with clear evidence this is not the case, it carries on with 'ah but ah but ah but'.

It's pathetic.

Edited by TheJTS98

21 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:
24 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

How would I know?

I know from the experience of friends who have quarantined elsewhere that it always involves a contact number for emergencies, special requests, etc. I'd imagine Scotland is the same and you call that number.

Is that so hard to understand?

The actual details, I don't know. How would I? If they're not spelled out, then I'd imagine they depend on the case.

But what is clear is that the story is definitely not as presented on this thread. Jason Leitch has confirmed in the video above exactly what that 'vague' (?) link says. You can leave to visit a dying relative.

so folks are criticising the lassie but no one can actually explain what the process is before passing judgement? Why arent the details spelled out anywhere? Surely that would provide reassurance to such families? Wouldnt take much for them to do it if they had a clear defined process in place, would even disarm arguments such as mine. Jason Leitch did nothing to explain that either. I wouldnt take that gamble based on the way the government have acted around quarantine and the responses from them around this issue in particular so I dont blame the girl. 

24 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

And of course that involves a 'request'. It would be weird if people were just freely strolling out of quarantine.

It's a shite situation, no question. But people on here are acting as if the evil geniuses in charge of public health in Scotland are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of keeping people from their dying relatives. It's moronic bullshit.

Even when presented with clear evidence this is not the case, it carries on with 'ah but ah but ah but'.

It's pathetic.

no one, well certainly not me anyway, is accusing the scottish government of being evil geniuses (or any kind of genius tbh). But this fascination that covid is the be all and end all when there are equally or in many cases bigger problems and issues is infuriating. The governments response to this particular case sounded callous and uncaring, which is particularly distasteful. 

Come on folks, you’re all correct here.

The girl chose to go to Majorca when it was green listed, not for a holiday but so she could stay 10 days and fly back for life as normal with the family. This was her choice - presumably she thought a) her dad wasn’t going anywhere in the next 10 days and b) it was much more appealing/potentially cheaper than 10 days in an airport hotel.

Equally government rules pretty clearly would have allowed her to fly in and visit her dad, albeit with the caveat of having to go back to the airport hotel every time. If she’d done that, she’d be on the verge of being released to normal life by now. Hindsight is great.

Some poor decisions from her, some poor policies from the government. There’s surely ability to be slightly more flexible - the UAE being red-listed in the first place is literally because the UK Border Force is so incompetent it can’t tell where people have travelled from, and Dubai/Abu Dhabi are major hubs. Nothing at all to do with their case rates or protecting against a variant that makes up ~99% of cases in the UK.

To be honest the best thing the girl could’ve done days ago is connect to the UK via Ireland or an amber-list country that would’ve allowed her to ‘isolate’ with the family. Some people even now are obsessed with sticking to the rules precisely and that’s why they’re having problems.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

"Why arent the details spelled out anywhere?"

Probably because it gives them more flexibility. There will be cases where people are dying round the corner, cases where people have to travel long distances, cases where it's sudden, cases where people know it's coming, cases where people have ambiguous symptoms and cases where people have clear symptoms etc. There are lots of variables and the government would equally be criticised if they had a one-size-fits-all approach.

And Leitch is limited in what he can say for the same reason. I don't think he seemed callous at all in the video. He was sympathetic and was quite clear about what the situation was.

Are you really telling me you can't get your head around a system where you contact whoever the contact person is in your quarantine hotel and then take it from there? Really?

It just seems like people want to be angry. The website says you can visit. Leitch says you can visit. You can visit.

4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Pretty simple, really.

And it's telling that pretty much every country in the world that has a good record of handling covid is looking at what the UK is about to do and saying 'fuuuuuuuck'.

You bring the numbers down, you vaccinate, you open up. Pretty straightforward.

The UK's pariah status will be confirmed if it ends up producing a new variant that slows the global emergence from covid. The transport hub point is a big one. Decisions in the UK have consequences.

The UK simply has a government that prizes the economy over all else, despite all the evidence we have that the economy can easily be kept ticking over to a reasonable degree.

Err, this is what we have been doing. Gradually opening up for months now. As you open up, cases rise. Israel done it 'your way' and today reported over a thousand cases for the first time in four months.

Also, people have been flouting 'the rules' for months now into the bargain. Hilarious that people are naive enough to think otherwise.

Are there dead bodies lining the streets of Texas, Florida, South Dakota, Sweden, and others?

Edited by Elixir

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:
2 hours ago, anotherchance said:
Invent good vaccines and jag people with them.
Any chance of you answering mine? 

Do that but try not to reopen everything when the case rate is enormous. That seems a smidgen reckless to me.

So delay re-opening (and crucially, the exit wave) until the schools go back and the weather becomes less favourable?

Not meaning to be a dick, but just saying “delay everything” without thinking a couple of steps ahead is sleepwalking into a disaster.

Genuinely staggering folk want restrictions to last another year.

The idea that the most tested island on the planet is all of a sudden going to sprout a whole new disease (as thats what a "variant" which magically defeats any vaccine would be) overnight and infect the entire planet is wild to me. Theres every chance its burnt itself out in the UK by next Summer if all restrictions are lifted next month.

All the while it'll be allowed to live on, and evolve in hosts, in countries that aren't vaccinating their population.

19 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Some absolutely disgusting takes on here today regarding this woman’s situation. The lack of empathy is absolutely wild and genuinely makes me a mixture of furious and sad at the way this pandemic has made people.

Disgraceful.

I’m so glad you “care more”.  Well done.

28 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Some absolutely disgusting takes on here today regarding this woman’s situation. The lack of empathy is absolutely wild and genuinely makes me a mixture of furious and sad at the way this pandemic has made people.

Disgraceful.

Always the way when a genuine story like this comes up, turns into a tabloid’s wet dream,  and people poo poo it because of their pre-existing narrative they have in their heads.

Similar to the comments on the STV Facebook page when anything about refugees/LGBT comes up.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

18 months in and people still don’t know the difference between “flout” and “flaunt”.

That should be a banning offence tbh.

You are of course correct! 😂