Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It absolutely is a failure of the government to not combat the misinformation and brain dead pish about 5g and all the rest.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone seriously talk about that kind of thing in the real world. It seems to be a very vocal minority of loons on social media.

No but i know a few doctors with asthma who manage no worries in warm operating theatres for hours on end. 
Regardless the people im referring to with the fags hanging out the mouth chain smoking saying they cant wear one because ‘asthma’ are the issue. Especially when they’ve never even had an inhaler for years. 
Every friend I know with asthma and my younger brother who had severe childhood asthma and still uses an inhaler as an adult all manage fine. 

Aye, me and my dad are both asthmatic but not bad. I’ll wear a face mask in a shop or that.
Will I bin it when it moves to advisory? Probably , I’ll likely carry it with me in case I’m asked to put one on for getting in a taxi or something but I won’t go out my way to wear one more than I have to.

20 minutes ago, Johnny van Axeldongen said:

I don't recall ever hearing anyone seriously talk about that kind of thing in the real world. It seems to be a very vocal minority of loons on social media.

Unfortunately ive encountered quite a bit. As well as heard the mrs talk about conversations shes had with patients reassuring them about it too. 
In real terms its not even the hysterical stuff like 5g etc, the media whipping up stuff about blood clots when the contraceptive pill has a significantly higher instance etc has done considerable damage too. 

The business that asked me when I’d had my vaccine is a sports injury clinic. They’ve also required me to sign a document advising that I accept the risk of getting Covid at my appointment etc etc.

Considering close contact is unavoidable at a clinic like this and that being double vaccinated vastly reduces the risk of transmission I think it’s perfectly fair for them to ask 

They didn’t actually ask me for proof either, I could’ve just lied. But I didn’t.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Considering close contact is unavoidable at a clinic like this and that being double vaccinated vastly reduces the risk of transmission I think it’s perfectly fair for them to ask

I don't think it is tbh, but we aren't going to agree here.

Went to an indoor crazy golf course in Dunfermline with the kids. It is like a huge balloon and was utterly roasting. Half of folk wore face masks. I kept mine on until the sixth hole. Couldn't last any longer and took it off. 

It's just a random statistic put against another to shock people. There's no vaccine for cancer to start with. Over half a million people die every year from non covid related things, the difference is that Covid deaths are actually becoming preventable.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, supermik said:

That’s a bad comparison. Will be interesting to see Covid v another contagious virus like the flu. Although I don’t believe such a comparison will exist at the moment.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's just a random statistic put against another to shock people. There's no vaccine for cancer to start with. Over half a million people die every year from non covid related things, the difference is that Covid deaths are actually becoming preventable.

Flu deaths and road traffic deaths are also preventable if we were to apply extreme measures to do so.

It will be very interesting to compare flu deaths and covid deaths over the coming winter, and view the difference in reactions.

Of course that comparison will only really be possible if we test for flu in the same way we currently test for covid, or vice-versa, else we'll end up with "covid and flu combined infection deaths" outstripping both, giving the impression of a lethal combination that may or may not be true.

Edited by Todd_is_God

On 13/07/2021 at 15:16, craigkillie said:

The 2000 minimum applies to the Party at the Palace music festival, but they have presumably applied for and received permission for an increased number of attendees. Rangers (or any other club) could do the same under the exact same rules, and I'd fully expect them to do so.

Seems PATP maybe didnt have permission for increase as it has just been cancelled.

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Flu deaths and road traffic deaths are also preventable if we were to apply extreme measures to do so.

It will be very interesting to compare flu deaths and covid deaths over the coming winter, and view the difference in reactions.

Of course that comparison will only really be possible if we test for flu in the same way we currently test for covid, or vice-versa, else we'll end up with "covid and flu combined infection deaths" outstripping both, giving the impression of a lethal combination that may or may not be true.

It's never been about deaths though, it's been about the explosive infection rate and hospitalisation before the vaccine started having an effect. 

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's never been about deaths though, it's been about the explosive infection rate and hospitalisation before the vaccine started having an effect. 

That's fair enough, but we're not there anymore. The vaccine has completely changed the playing field, yet the pre-vaccine mentality of "iTs nOt fLu" remains. Correct, it isn't, but it's impact at the most serious end appears now to be very comparable.

We really do need to collectively stop looking at covid deaths as more tragic or preventable than any other deaths and accept that a relatively small number of people are going to get seriously ill and die as a result of it.

Until we do that, we won't move on. It will be interesting to see at what point it becomes ok to declare the pandemic "over"

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's just a random statistic put against another to shock people. There's no vaccine for cancer to start with. 

A pedant writes:

There's an form of Human Papilloma virus that can cause cervical cancer which is why there's a programme of giving HPV vaccine to 12-13 year old girls. I remember NHS Scotland TV ads about it. So I suppose technically that is a vaccine against cancer.

As you were.

Edited by tamthebam
Stupidity

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

They aren't random, they are inextricably linked when the same health service has to deal with both and have been prioritising one over all else.  There will be cancer patients that have died from curable cancers through lack of timely medical intervention, as I posted before we should be dealing with covid proportionately and not the Covid before all else that has been the case for over a year now.

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's fair enough, but we're not there anymore. The vaccine has completely changed the playing field, yet the pre-vaccine mentality of "iTs nOt fLu" remains. Correct, it isn't, but it's impact at the most serious end appears now to be very comparable.

We really do need to collectively stop looking at covid deaths as more tragic or preventable than any other deaths and accept that a relatively small number of people are going to get seriously ill and die as a result of it.

Until we do that, we won't move on. It will be interesting to see at what point it becomes ok to declare the pandemic "over"

In Scotland the Indy situation will play into this as declaring it over will then raise expectations of another referendum.  Far better for the SNP to continue to use COVID as their reason for delay until they find a new reason for delay.