Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Not really, I find needlessly wearing masks to be fair more a pain in the arse than having to stay 1/2 metres away from someone. 

I can tell from your other posts that you’re not a moron, so assume you’re ignoring the obvious here for a laugh.

Staying 1/2 metres from someone means no capacity crowds at sport, no gigs, no full pubs and standing at the bar, pubs/restaurants operating at about 30% of their usual capacity  and naturally after a while shutting down as its unsustainable, limited numbers at gatherings of all types, no dancing at weddings. The list goes on and on. Social distancing is far and away a far more troublesome restriction than wearing a mask, and affects almost all of the things that people like to do. It’s simply nuts to suggest otherwise.

Schools in England don't break off until Friday and there will of course be the Euros bounce in cases as well. Probably another 10-14 days before the peak hits so it'll be a rough ride. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Everyone is Mao when it's other people's health and not their money!

Talking about 'the collective' in a country with the UK's levels of inequality is a joke. Will you give up your holiday in Florida to feed hungry kids for 'the collective'? Aye right!

Are you vaccinated?

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

How can you reason with people who do this -

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/14/gp-staff-receive-abuse-every-day-over-covid-vaccine-reminders

GP staff receive abuse every day over Covid vaccine reminders

Staff making reminder calls are being threatened for carrying out NHS work, say doctors’ leaders

GPs and their staff are receiving abuse and threats every day from patients whom they contact to remind them to have a Covid vaccine, family doctors’ leaders in London have revealed.

“Abuse of our healthcare staff is now a daily occurrence and growing in frequency,” said Dr Michelle Drage, the chief executive of Londonwide Local Medical Committees.

“London practice staff are already receiving profanity-filled letters and text messages in response to vaccination reminders, and those making calls are getting abuse and threatened with being reported to regulators, and even with violence, all just for doing as instructed by the NHS,” added Drage.

In one recent incident, surgery staff called police after a man – who was not wearing a mask – went past the unstaffed reception desk and into the back office and confronted staff. One of two GPs who defused the incident said: “[He was] shouting and pushing his phone and a letter we had sent into the face of a receptionist and repeatedly demanding she read it aloud. He was upset that we had sent him another invite for vaccination after he had specifically asked us not to. “I came out to reception on hearing the commotion, along with another clinical colleague. The man was aggressive enough that we called 999 – shouting, swearing, getting very close and ‘squaring up’ to us, despite my attempts to acknowledge our error and apologise, and offer to discuss.”

When a south London GP practice recently texted patients under 30 to remind them to get a first dose, responses included “leave me ALONE!!”, “f**k off”, “U really trying to kill me” and “Why would I come for an untested, experimental, killer vaccination …?”

Exclude them from all NHS services, let them get their medical treatment from senga on facebook, but absolutely these are mutants, the same sort who wear their sunflower lanyards. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Everyone is Mao when it's other people's health and not their money!

Talking about 'the collective' in a country with the UK's levels of inequality is a joke. Will you give up your holiday in Florida to feed hungry kids for 'the collective'? Aye right!

I already donate a considerable amount of time and money to my local food bank thanks. But appreciate your consideration. 

7 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Id have said the opposite

The areas of the ground i was covering had just about 100% compliance. 

Funny, was speaking to an old boy at work today and he's said the same as you. He was at the Ormond end of the East and reckoned everyone around him wore masks the whole match.

I was up the back at the scoreboard end and nobody in my sight wore one.

Social distancing is shite for going to the football.

Mask wearing is shite for me at work.

Both need binned so I can live my life IMO.

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Exclude them from all NHS services, let them get their medical treatment from senga on facebook, but absolutely these are mutants, the same sort who wear their sunflower lanyards. 

I already donate a considerable amount of time and money to my local food bank thanks. But appreciate your consideration. 

You obviously don't do irony. 

😁

On masks, it should be remembered that all UK Governments receive the same public health advice. There isn’t some special Scottish/Welsh/English science that is making the governments reach different conclusions.

Whitty made it clear that he would still be wearing his own mask in indoor situations at last Monday’s press conference, even making a comment along the lines of ‘it’s his decision’ and pointing at Johnson when asked by a journalist why he’d personally be wearing one when it isn’t government policy. That’s as close to publicly saying he disagrees with the policy to officially ditch them as we’ll get, so with that in mind I would make an educated guess that the advice is to keep them for now in indoor settings, across the UK.

So it comes down to political choice, with leaks to the media today essentially saying Johnson was worried his backbenchers would oust him if he didn’t ditch masks. It seems England rather than being set free from them will be on track for a US-style culture war, with different shops and different industries having completely different stances. I’m not sure that’s really helpful to anyone in reality, and certainly not as ‘free’ as it sounds.

On a personal level, if everything but masks are gone on August 9th I’ll be content. Certainly take the point that it’s a selfish viewpoint as I don’t need to work in one, however, and I hope they’re punted as soon as possible. I’d even be comfortable with allowing staff to discard them. But the reaction in England suggests the population at large aren’t ready for them to entirely go just yet.

I see the Holiday Hokey Cokey strikes again. That was a great 10 days or whatever it was for the Balearics. 

Not that the amber list is going to make much difference in future for the fully vaccinated, but what an absolute shambles, yet again. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

So these sunflower lanyard wearers are on the shit list, all of them???

I'm new to this idea of this lanyard, which I see after looking it up Is supported by a good number of charities. So should we be slapping down all sunflower lanyard wearers as attention seeking mutants?

I'm finding it difficult to keep up with the latest who are the good guys and who are the bad guys, since I don't participate in any other social media outside football forums.

I tend to give an individual the benefit of the doubt unless they do something to change this.

Hardly anyone actually needs to be exempt, its utter nonsense. I get certain conditions like ASD and PTSD and others can be valid arguments for not wearing one but theres absolutely no way anyone with asthma (which is the most common excuse for wearing one that i’ve heard) needs a mask exemption. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I see the Holiday Hokey Cokey strikes again. That was a great 10 days or whatever it was for the Balearics. 

Not that the amber list is going to make much difference in future for the fully vaccinated, but what an absolute shambles, yet again. 

They're doing it to try and get more folk aged 18-29 vaxxed. None of this is 'following the science/data'.

On 13/07/2021 at 10:54, welshbairn said:

The rules keep changing but many countries allow proof of previous infection if you don't have proof of vaccination. It's likely by then that a preflight PCR test will do you anyway.

Presumably you will have had both jabs done in or around Inverness. Were you given proof of that? I got my first one in Alness and tried to get my second in Lancashire where I was staying for a while. They wouldn't do that as I had no proof of my first jab. My partner got both jabs down there and was given a card which was endorsed each time. I got my second one done, again at Alness, but again was not given any proof.

Is this happening throughout Scotland?

17 minutes ago, Elixir said:

They're doing it to try and get more folk aged 18-29 vaxxed. None of this is 'following the science/data'.

I suspect the quarantine after a week in BCM is going to he filed into the bin, tbf. 

At least we've not gone full Macron. 

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

At least the UK press conferences try to explain things with graphs and data, albeit I sometimes feel that it is out of date. I’ve given up watching the SG press conferences as they tell you nothing and the questions I’m bursting to ask never get brought up by the Scottish media who are worse than useless.

Here's the thing. Have you ever heard either the Scottish or British gov come out and say "Hey! You! Yeah you, Mr/Mrs 80 year old! I know this shit is a little scary, but if you catch covid, statistically, you're going to survive! Yeah, that's right! Believe it or not, the majority of you will be ok!". Nope, all you get is Sturgeon on TV everyday droning on and on about X number of people have tested positive in the previous 24hrs, and , sadly, X number have died. The government have shat the bed when it comes to messaging, and I wouldn't shed a tear if some of them were hanged for the trauma they've caused to many members of our society.

35 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Presumably you will have had both jabs done in or around Inverness. Were you given proof of that? I got my first one in Alness and tried to get my second in Lancashire where I was staying for a while. They wouldn't do that as I had no proof of my first jab. My partner got both jabs down there and was given a card which was endorsed each time. I got my second one done, again at Alness, but again was not given any proof.

Is this happening throughout Scotland?

No proof at the GP, no. Had trouble with the NHS Inform website to get proof as they had the wrong dates in the system. Eventually a kind lady on the helpline sorted me out, and I got a shiny certificate in the post with the wrong dates, but it satisfied the Portuguese and Spanish border guards! The English cards are probably useless, your partner will have to get the NHS app for English people.

Edited by welshbairn