Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Wales, Scotland, NI and England all having different regulations on masks = CONFUSION (bad nationalist confusion just to be different in Scotland)

Every single bus, taxi, train, tram, ferry, rickshaw, pedalo and spacehopper rental provider all having their own mask policy = SENSIBLE BRITISH COMMON SENSE 

Any idea how far in advance they send out second jag letters? That’s me six weeks after my first, not arsed about getting it on the exact date but have stuff to plan (including feeling like dirt after the second dose)
The second appointment can be anytime from 8-12 weeks after your first but as soon as the 8 are up you can go to a drop in if there's one near you.

The SG are playing a blinder here. They have the public arguing about a mask that your average joe probably has to wear for literally minutes out his week while not a soul debates the SD rule that is the main obstacle to reopening stuff like gigs, nightclubs and football. Masks are most definitely not the big issue, they are a minor irritation in the big scheme of things meanwhile by stoking a mask debate everyone ignores the main event and it seems the public are gullible enough to fall for this hence why the likes of Leitch, Bauld and today Swinney keep the mask debate to the fore on a daily basis.

If you accept that the  science is not conclusive (which is a big if, but lets leave that) then there are four scenarios.
1. Masks are worn and it turns out are effective at reducing spread. Congratulations, a cheap and effective public health measure has saved lives however some people have suffered minor inconvenience such as having their specs steam up
2. Masks are worn and it turns out are not effective at reducing spread. Hmm, that didn't work.  Some people have suffered minor inconvenience such as having their specs steam up to no avail
3. Masks are not worn and it turns out are not effective at reducing spread.  That worked out well then, no glasses steamed up.
4. Masks are not worn and it turns out are effective at reducing spread. Whoops. People have died due to the absence of a simple, cheap public health measure. At least nobody's specs got steamed up
Apply the precautionary principle and its seems that masks in high risk situations should be worn until either the pandemic is over or the science is definitive.
TL;DR

We JuSt DoNt KnOw

One thing I haven't seen is whether TfL is able to fine anyone not wearing a mask.  I haven't seen it referenced, so I assume the answer is no. 

Instead they're going to have 400 staff members turning people away if they're not wearing one. I imagine that'll go well. 

Edited by Michael W

27 minutes ago, Michael W said:

One thing I haven't seen is whether TfL is able to fine anyone not wearing a mask.  I haven't seen it referenced, so I assume the answer is no. 

Instead they're going to have 400 staff members turning people away if they're not wearing one. I imagine that'll go well. 

When I was down in London for the Scotland game there was about 50% of people not wearing masks on the tubes/trains etc, struggle to see how anything they're saying now will reduce that number.

They mentioned it being incorporated into their conditions of carriage so it could become an offence you could be fined for just like pulling the emergency brake or travelling without a ticket. Whether that's feasible remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, true_rover said:
7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57829591
Masks until Christmas says Swinney. 

I'm fine with wearing one, but what's so special about December for changing the advice?

Let's not be kidded. They will be worn all the way through to next spring. 

4th wave due in winter according to Bojo's so called experts and watch him do another u turn as he follows Nicola. 

The joys. 

When I was down in London for the Scotland game there was about 50% of people not wearing masks on the tubes/trains etc, struggle to see how anything they're saying now will reduce that number.
That may have been an outlier caused by pissed up fans as they issued stats yesterday to back up their mandatory policy. It was 86% compliance with over 65% of the 14% not wearing having a legitimate reason.

11 minutes ago, Scosha said:

My experience in London at the weekend was similar. And not just amongst the hoardes of England fans as I was leaving on Sunday afternoon. 

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
40 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They mentioned it being incorporated into their conditions of carriage so it could become an offence you could be fined for just like pulling the emergency brake or travelling without a ticket. Whether that's feasible remains to be seen.

Yeah, there's probably a way for them there. Easy enough for people to invent an exemption though,since no proof is required. 

In the last week I've had 3 tests. All negative.

Pre flight LFT on Thursday

Day 2 PCR test on Monday

And I did a random LFT test on Sunday simply because I had it lying about the house.

Yet I'm still officially meant to quarantine until next Tuesday even though I'm double jabbed because I came back from an amber country. The rules change on Monday and that will make all the difference to me. 🤪

Masks aren't a zero sum game, ie. they work or they don't. It's about how much they reduce the viral load transmitted and whether they're worth the bother.

Edited by welshbairn

This move by Khan is nothing more than political posturing in the Nicola Sturgeon mode.  Doing something different from the Tories to be seen to be different.  Will be a shock if Burnham doesn't follow suit.

He doesn't actually care whether people use the services or not seeing as Tfl have already been handed £4.4bn of taxpayers cash to bail them out and I'd be surprised if there isn't more to come.

Only 17,449 Vaccines dished out yesterday. Absolutely pathetic. 

Apparently the stocks of each type are now sufficient to literally Vax whoever they want.   Time to get that time cut to get those who want dose 2.  They keep hiding behind 8 weeks being the optimum. It clearly is political as that has always been changed in line with supply.  4 Weeks seems to be good enough for the rest of Europe. Clearly their scientists are 2nd rate.

The fact that 20% of 30-40 year olds have not bothered their arse to get their 1st jab is bewildering.

The young crew 18-29 are already up to 65.9% Vaxxed 1st jab and catching the above group quickly.

To be honest neither group has any real excuse now to not be vaxxed with drop in clinics everywhere.

4 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Apply the precautionary principle and its seems that masks in high risk situations should be worn until either the pandemic is over or the science is definitive.

There is no such thing as a "high risk situation", in a country where the majority of adults and all clinically vulnerable groups who could be vaccinated are vaccinated. 

Any calculation of risk that fails to account for vaccines utterly smashing serious illness and death is an invalid one, right now, in July 2021. 

Much like Boris Johnson, the history books are not going to be kind to Sadiq Khan when his pandemic management is reviewed. His insistance against London being chucked into Tier 2 in early December ended up with London being the plague pit of Europe. 

Must report a joyful return to live football last night. So much better than watching live streams on an iPad.

However, sad to say that about 95% of people were wearing masks throughout.

I was sitting beside my son (both unmasked) and was chided by a woman in the row below about us breaking the rules. I retorted that we were father and son to which she pointed to the man  seated 4 seats along from her ‘He’s my husband’!! What can you say about just how brainwashed the public have become.