Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Droplets, compared to airborne particles, are a much smaller risk.
It's like closing your car window to reduce the risk of it being stolen, but leaving the door unlocked with the key in the ignition.
Most of the main sites still suggest that droplets are one of the main causes of spread. But as usual, you're suggesting that you know better.

If I have covid but don't know and wear a mask to protect others against that, what value is there in wearing it when I go for a piss when out for dinner when I've spent the rest of the evening not wearing it, breathing out into a room filled with people who aren't wearing masks because they're all doing the same things?

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If I have covid but don't know and wear a mask to protect others against that, what value is there in wearing it when I go for a piss when out for dinner when I've spent the rest of the evening not wearing it, breathing out into a room filled with people who aren't wearing masks because they're all doing the same things?

Next to none. 

Edited by Todd_is_God

41 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Good to hear he has no symptoms, hopefully the vaccine doing its job. Hope he stays well.

Was it a proper test that confirmed the positive result or one of the ones you do at home?

Honestly I don’t know.  Only heard who it was today.  There are people off due to the app alerting them over the weekend .  Asked about and I got told who it was.  People are obviously very concerned.  Only heard from one person that he is ok.  But nothing definitive.  I guess we’ll see. 

Because at those points you're more likely to be in close contact with other people, which is less the case when sitting at your seat.

Obviously it would be more effective to have everyone wearing the mask at all points in the place - but that's not feasible when folk are eating, drinking, and having a chat.

But by having rules for mask wearing at other times, and other stuff like one-way systems, separate entrances and exits etc - they're hopefully lessening the spread if one of their customers is contagious.

They know it's not ideal, but there's clear reasoning behind it.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Because at those points you're more likely to be in close contact with other people, which is less the case when sitting at your seat.

Obviously it would be more effective to have everyone wearing the mask at all points in the place - but that's not feasible when folk are eating, drinking, and having a chat.

But by having rules for mask wearing at other times, and other stuff like one-way systems, separate entrances and exits etc - they're hopefully lessening the spread if one of their customers is contagious.

They know it's not ideal, but there's clear reasoning behind it.

😂

You are the SG's wet dream

Among the mask debate I think we're also forgetting just how fucking pointless it is when you're fully vaccinated, along with 90% of other adults and near 100% of those classed as clinically vulnerable.

Like slapping bubble wrap around a plate of Kevlar. Absurd nonsense.

it’s great to see the “main event” utterly creaming themselves again. So unfair  

I’d love to have sympathy with their plight, but they really are some of the worst human beings ever, so I won’t.

I also believe the CDC position for some time now is that fully vaccinated individuals do not have to wear them, even indoors, save for places likes airports and aircraft for the time being.

It seems in places such as the US where there is a battle to get people vaccinated, being able to bin your mask if you do so is one of the benefits. In places like the UK where vaccine hesitancy is only a thing among a tiny minority, there doesn't really have to be any carrots dangled.

[emoji23]
You are the SG's wet dream
I don't think you've actually read my posts, as i don't actually support the continuation of the restrictions.

I've just been pointing out that there is clear reasoning why they're doing it. It's not random, and it's not some big conspiracy. It's a tricky balance, and one they've always been open about. They're in the ultimate position of authority and they're taking their responsibilities very seriously (and then there's the fact that the public seem to want them to be more cautious).

And in response to oaksoft, yes i understand that there's airborne transmission - but those in-the-know still believe that close contacts are much more likely to catch the virus. Consequently, the droplets issue is still a very real one.

There's not as much as you can do about the airborne element, unless you have complete lockdown for indoor areas. But that's not feasible, so they're trying to do what they can to limit the spread.

In schools it was quite clear that ventilation in rooms was one of the biggest issues. I find it strange that more hasn't been made of that for the general advice.

22 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I've just been pointing out that there is clear reasoning why they're doing it. It's not random, and it's not some big conspiracy. It's a tricky balance, and one they've always been open about. They're in the ultimate position of authority and they're taking their responsibilities very seriously (and then there's the fact that the public seem to want them to be more cautious).

With the link between cases and serious illness very much broken, it is not their responsibility to do whatever they can to try and prevent some people feeling utter shite for a week, however unpleasant i'm sure that feeling is.

Restrictions were to "Protect the NHS" and were not going to be in place "any longer than absolutely necessary." We're not protecting the NHS by wearing masks to exit a pub or by decimating it's staffing levels by forcing people (especially vaccinated people) who are not sick to stay off work for 10 days because their pal tested positive.

The public want them to be cautious, though, because they have had fear promoted for the last 17 months. Distancing and masking isn't natural, yet people are begging it to continue as they think they will die otherwise. The SG now are having to drag the easing of restrictions out to try and push back the tide they helped create, making sure to get a few more cheap jibes in at Boris Johnson along the way as they know that will be lapped up in the absence of any real evidence or data to justify said delays.

That list of who can do what and where today was an absolute farce when you consider we are at the very end stage of the pandemic.

Remaining rules and restrictions at this stage should be clear, concise, consistent, and provide a demonstrable benefit. We got none of that.

Edited by Todd_is_God

With the link between cases and serious illness very much broken, it is not their responsibility to do whatever they can to try and prevent some people feeling utter shite for a week, however unpleasant i'm sure that feeling is.
Restrictions were to "Protect the NHS" and were not going to be in place "any longer than absolutely necessary." We're not protecting the NHS by wearing masks to exit a pub or by decimating it's staffing levels by forcing people (especially vaccinated people) who are not sick to stay off work for 10 days because their pal tested positive.
The public want them to be cautious, though, because they have had fear promoted for the last 17 months. Distancing and masking isn't natural, yet people are begging it to continue as they think they will die otherwise. The SG now are having to drag the easing of restrictions out to try and push back the tide they helped create, making sure to get a few more cheap jibes in at Boris Johnson along the way as they know that will be lapped up in the absence of any real evidence or data to justify said delays.
That list of who can do what and where today was an absolute farce when you consider we are at the very end stage of the pandemic.
Remaining rules and restrictions at this stage should be clear, concise, consistent, and provide a demonstrable benefit. We got none of that.
I agree with pretty much all of this.

If you accept that the  science is not conclusive (which is a big if, but lets leave that) then there are four scenarios.

1. Masks are worn and it turns out are effective at reducing spread. Congratulations, a cheap and effective public health measure has saved lives however some people have suffered minor inconvenience such as having their specs steam up

2. Masks are worn and it turns out are not effective at reducing spread. Hmm, that didn't work.  Some people have suffered minor inconvenience such as having their specs steam up to no avail

3. Masks are not worn and it turns out are not effective at reducing spread.  That worked out well then, no glasses steamed up.

4. Masks are not worn and it turns out are effective at reducing spread. Whoops. People have died due to the absence of a simple, cheap public health measure. At least nobody's specs got steamed up

Apply the precautionary principle and its seems that masks in high risk situations should be worn until either the pandemic is over or the science is definitive.