Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Got my 2nd jag as a walk in at the EICC this morning, 8 weeks exactly from my last one. Got there just after it opened at half 8 and it wasn't queued back but there was just a constant flow of folks which was good to see.

Shame the hospital and ICU numbers keep climbing but aren't those 'normally' around 7-10 days behind the case rises? If so then hopefully the numbers will start to fall for those next week.

I don't know what's worse with Granny Danger's concern trolling - that he thinks he's being funny by disagreeing with even the most reasonable criticism of things or that he actually believes everything he's saying. It's genuinely sad to think about either way.

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

"Unfortunately there are young people right now with Covid in Ninewells - not only in our general wards, but also in our intensive care unit and our high dependency unit.

This definitley won't be anyone overweight, or with underlying conditions, or not "young" at all.

Not sure what relevance that has to a party changing policy when they are worried about losing seats / votes, but yeah…
The relevance was it was assumed that a failure of store footfall to bounce back in Scotland was somehow an indication of a failure by the govt. It is more likely that people have see how futile a trip to shops actually is and have decided to keep online shopping for goods. Another positive to chalk up alongside WFH from the ashes of this shit show.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:
Not sure what relevance that has to a party changing policy when they are worried about losing seats / votes, but yeah…

It is more likely that people have see how futile a trip to shops actually is and have decided to keep online shopping for goods.

I’m the broadest sense I don’t disagree, but the economy is more than just shops. It’s nightlife, tourism, sports events etc. If they keep getting hit with restrictions those business owners, workers, general public who want to use them will eventually say enough is enough, and if the SG sense the mood is darkening towards them they will change their mindset on said restrictions.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

I’m the broadest sense I don’t disagree, but the economy is more than just shops. It’s nightlife, tourism, sports events etc. If they keep getting hit with restrictions those business owners, workers, general public who want to use them will eventually say enough is enough, and if the SG sense the mood is darkening towards them they will change their mindset on said restrictions.
You can scrub tourism from the list, domestically at least. The longer restrictions persist on overseas travel the more it will benefit. Not that those of us that like to travel are exactly delighted at a domestic overpriced break.

18 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

This is a disgrace and no doubt a sign of things to come for football supporters this season.

All you can do now is laugh at these pathetic restrictions. 

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
This is a disgrace and no doubt a sign of things to come for football supporters this season.

2000 is L0 seated crowd limit. Not sure why anyone is surprised. It will be like this at least until 9 August.

You can ask the Council for more though. 

And if Celtic aren't going to get it, the rest of us are fucked

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Is this happening everywhere else?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-57776913

Covid in Scotland: Tayside warning over young patients in intensive care

NHS Tayside has urged 18-29 year-olds to get vaccinated amid a surge in Covid cases that has put some young patients in intensive care.

The region has the highest Covid rate in Scotland and been one of the worst affected in Europe in recent weeks.

Ninewells Hospital in Dundee has had to open another critical care ward to accommodate Covid patients.

And there are said to be young people among those being treated in intensive care and high dependency units.

Ninewells had no Covid patients in April but on Thursday of this week it had 58, with 11 of them in the critical care unit.

Dr Emma Fletcher - Tayside's director of public health - said the situation was "exceptionally serious" and urged people aged between 18 and 29 to get themselves vaccinated.

In a video message, she said: "This is the highest number of patients we have had since 12 February and our rate per 100,000 population is more than 10 times what it was just a few weeks ago.

"Unfortunately there are young people right now with Covid in Ninewells - not only in our general wards, but also in our intensive care unit and our high dependency unit.

"So today we have a simple plea: Please go and get your vaccination."

I think it's a reasonable message to say most young people are fine but a small number do end up in ICU - just get the vaccine.

I don't think politician's and public health professionals understand sneaky language and non-sequitirs undermine their message

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

From the NHS Tayside CEO

I don't think they are for treating COVID though. I think if you come in with a broken leg they still need to separate COVID and non COVID patients 

Edited by invergowrie arab

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

They must have as Parkhead isn't in L0 LA area.

Only a couple of weeks ago several multiples of that 2k were allowed into a slightly smaller stadium in Glasgow. 

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

This definitley won't be anyone overweight, or with underlying conditions, or not "young" at all.

Victim blaming without a shred of proof.  Classy.