Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A fair old mix of responses re masks. Airlines universally retaining them as compulsory after 19 July. Interesting to see a pub chain saying it will retain table service and not allow standing

BBC News - Some firms to insist customers and staff still wear face masks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57677159

A fair old mix of responses re masks. Airlines universally retaining them as compulsory after 19 July. Interesting to see a pub chain saying it will retain table service and not allow standing

Compulsory unless eating or drinking the on board paid for food and beverage service [emoji848]

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

If people are annoyed about red and green dots I am happy to sell mine. Agreed payment and I will red dot anyone you fancy. Costs a little bit more for a greenie but I am fairly reasonable.

It’s a small price to pay for doubling up your dotting power in a war. DM me now and we can talk.

Ab'd'y should just reddie that numbnut BlueBear.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There is definitely a place for table service in bars, but the service needs to improve. Too often in my "go to" place in town I've found myself sitting frustrated with an empty glass as the wait staff are not used to what essentially amounts to generating work for themselves.

There is also, however, a place for traditional "going to the bar" type service. It really does depend on the venue.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Compulsory unless eating or drinking the on board paid for food and beverage service emoji848.png

With the additional irony of aircraft being some of the best ventillated areas going.

I believe the phrase is "pure theatre"

I suspect, as O'Leary points to, that compliance with European mandates is the case here (rather than Lovejoy appeasement) and will be dropped soon enough.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

On pubs, i wonder if this one has an app orders can be placed on.

I generally wonder if pubs who offer such a service (Wetherspoons being the biggest) find it better.  Customers stood at the bar waiting on being served aren’t drinking.  Staff are wasting time counting coppers and waiting on the customer shouting back to his wife/mates drunkenly trying to figure out what they wanted cos he’s forgotten what he was told 30 seconds ago,  having to deal with arguments about who was first etc.    There was a move towards this pre-pandemic and I think it might be one of the things that stays, outside of the old school traditional pubs.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There is definitely a place for table service in bars, but the service needs to improve. Too often in my "go to" place in town I've found myself sitting frustrated with an empty glass as the wait staff are not used to what essentially amounts to generating work for themselves.

There is also, however, a place for traditional "going to the bar" type service. It really does depend on the venue.

100% this. I’ve found I quite enjoy table service when it’s done efficiently by staff who bother to look above their shoelaces.
Some places have been good and others less so. I’ve personally found Wetherspoons to be very varied as some of the staff can’t seem to believe folk might not have/ choose not to order via the app and other staff have actually been good and catch orders between dropping drinks off to others.

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I prefer going to the bar for a pint, only because it gives me a chance to look out different beers I might not usually try.

Think it depends on if there’s an app or not.   With an app you have complementation time.   When it’s a waiter coming to ask it feels awkward,  ‘what beers you got’ ends up with them giving your 3 bog standard efforts or 106 craft beers.  Both which just order the closest to the usual.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Good to see the SG standing by the August 9 date.  I think limited restrictions (masks in shops and on public transport) will be widely accepted and adhered to, though this should be for as short a time as is practically possible.  I reckon booster jabs could happen every six months for the foreseeable future.

It will be good to get back to near normality, then to complete normality.

What’s wrong with the 19th July?

Is there a chance that the SG dragging their heels with restrictions will kill the economy further?? Surely more people will start heading over the border for holidays if things are easing more?? 

Is there a chance that the SG dragging their heels with restrictions will kill the economy further?? Surely more people will start heading over the border for holidays if things are easing more?? 
It's the same as up here. If you haven't booked weeks ago forget it, prices are eye watering and will not encourage last minute trips.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If people are annoyed about red and green dots I am happy to sell mine. Agreed payment and I will red dot anyone you fancy. Costs a little bit more for a greenie but I am fairly reasonable.

It’s a small price to pay for doubling up your dotting power in a war. DM me now and we can talk.

I would say that no one is that sad but I wouldn't put it past some of The Sad Acts on here to take you up on this.

I don't mind table service tbh but the apps/online links to order can get so far to f**k. I was at one of the busier bars in Dundee on Saturday where the signal is pretty shit indoors and the WiFi wasn't working. One of the guys serving eventually came over and let us do table service after explaining the situation but the whole thing is still a pain in the arse. 

Edited by Louis Litt

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

With the additional irony of aircraft being some of the best ventillated areas going.

I believe the phrase is "pure theatre"

I suspect, as O'Leary points to, that compliance with European mandates is the case here (rather than Lovejoy appeasement) and will be dropped soon enough.

Yeah, unfortunately I can't see masks going from aircraft and airports until things are 'over', i.e. across Europe, or perhaps even until the WHO officially declare the pandemic over. Will just have to keep ordering scran and bev the whole flight, because obviously the Rona knows not to spread when you're eating or drinking.

That said, I think the US are considering chucking them in the coming months. As ever, they will likely lead and the rest will follow.