Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

My employer's policy is that no-one will be forced back to the office and can choose where they whether they work at home or in the office. I am however interested to see how this works in practice, given the rampant presenteeism, and I can foresee a lot of complaints down the like about management and whether their actions are consistent with the policy. In particular, whether those attending the office more frequently are favoured etc. There are some interesting battles ahead that's for sure. 

Yep.

Also, to some extent the past year or so for WFH has been a free hit/honeymoon period, call it what you will.  Companies and employees have perhaps convinced themselves how well it works and how it can be the working style going forward but how much compromise has been made, how many corners cut just to make it work because there is no choice but to?   But, when things revert to normal will everyone be so accommodating i.e. a year of working on the kitchen table is doable,  30 years?  Sure, efficiency levels seem to be higher but that's with possibly less demanding customers/clients etc etc - will they remain so high when folk need to work at full efficiency?  Maybe, maybe not.

For sure, when it comes to promotion, interesting projects etc. the folk who are most visible (the  ones in the office) will be first in line more often than not.  At the end of the day, folk will need to balance out the pros and cons and decide what works best for them.  

5 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

No wonder your teams shit. 

Certainly the posting style of an educated, well adjusted successful business owner.  I am intrigued to learn more from P&B's resident business guru.

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Give it a break ya big try hard. 

I'm more surprised people keep responding to him . virginton I'm like this with and he usually finds something to respond. Meh bad day yesterday. Off until the 15th of July. Mrs needed to go to hospital last night with having covid and being type1 diabetic her blood sugars has been off the charts. A scary evening however seems under control n she is back home. Youngest seems to be improving as he is now eating. 

6 minutes ago, btb said:

We see the data it's published every day, one of the problems of the pandemic has been a data overload with most people (and I include myself) way over their heads when trying to interpret it.

Having said that we've reached a situation where on one hand the UK government is willing to accept the current mortality rate and on the other, my suspicion is, the money tree is getting bare.

I more meant the thresholds which I presume act as triggers.

That's what I interpreted data not dates to mean, but perhaps I misinterpreted?

Sell to who?! Many companies locating to low cost industrial estates to reduce costs, whilst the rest just outsourcing. 
Give it 6 months and its cut backs or outsourced. 
Unless self employed, your coy are responsible for your health and safety whilst working
Think they're going to check your abode out to check it's compliant, and you have the correct seating etc etc.? There are also insurance implications if WFH as this will become your normal place of work after Covid restrictions are lifted. 
There is a possible local council implication in change of use in the domestic dwelling also becoming a normal place of work. 
Not fucking happening. 
f**k up blue boy, Island medics on now. Hard enough working and watching that without your mewlings on top. Bargain hunt on soon though.

Just now, latapythelegend said:

I'm not a H&S or commercial property expert unlike yourself.

Please continue to tell us we are all slackers though. 

Of course not all slackers, just quite a few. 

Aren't you supposed to be working? 

😁

11 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Sell to who?! Many companies locating to low cost industrial estates to reduce costs, whilst the rest just outsourcing. 

Give it 6 months and its cut backs or outsourced. 

Unless self employed, your coy are responsible for your health and safety whilst working

Think they're going to check your abode out to check it's compliant, and you have the correct seating etc etc.? There are also insurance implications if WFH as this will become your normal place of work after Covid restrictions are lifted. 

There is a possible local council implication in change of use in the domestic dwelling also becoming a normal place of work. 

Not fucking happening. 

I can only answer based on where i work which is with an Asset Manager in Edinburgh and can tell you it is happening. In terms of getting rid of office space it's already happening in London where floors of high rises in the City of London are being turned into hotels, conference rooms and even residential units.

The company i work for is renovating the offices to make sure that those that don't need to be in there for their daily work only come in for meetings and 'collaborative' things that need done. If you don't need to be in then they're not forcing you but are hinting towards an expectation that you're in once a fortnight or so if possible. Some folks will need to be in depending on their role but that's more for regulatory reasons or equipment needs than actually doing the job on site.

They are responsible for health and safety and send out online courses to make sure people know where and how they should be working. If needed they'll send desks, equipment or chairs home - if you've not got the space to do that then their expectation is that you would be one of the folks that would be heading back into the office. A few folks needed to work in continuity sites over the last year as it just wasn't possible to support them at home (either due to the equipment needed or personal circumstance).

The company are saving a fortune on daily running costs, they're seeing folks being more flexible in their time (where they can be), working slightly longer hours as no commute in most cases, getting more work done and less sick days - as long as they see a benefit it will happen

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Deary me. 

The complete descendance into total dependency for a bit of cloth over your face as if it is in anyway comparable to a fucking vaccine that fucking works, is completely baffling. 

Dunno who the virologist was on Radio Scotland this morning but he was quite good. 

Says basically masks are neither here nor there. Every little helps but it should be up to individuals to manage their own risk eg getting on a busy train he would choose to put one on.