Coronavirus (COVID-19)

jj.png

Posted at 13:13

‘My mask is going in the bin’

c2293060-8218-4892-b1ef-1c3f540ae683.png

BBC Radio 5 Live

image.gif.e588eefb983c9ebc76cd138e6040852d.gif
Copyright: BBC

Today, BBC Radio 5 Live’s Your Call programme has been asking listeners how they feel about restrictions lifting and losing their face masks.

Boris Johnson is expected to announce later that the majority of restrictions will be lifted on 19 July.

IT consultant Khaleel (pictured), in Burnley, says he is looking forward to “freedom”.

“The vast majority of the country has been abiding by and living with restrictions to our freedom for more than a year," he says.

“A lot of holidays and good times and precious times with family have been canned and cancelled and postponed.

“It’s purely about getting back to normality, getting the economy back to normality, getting people working, business owners earning their money again.

“My mask is going in the bin,” he adds.

21 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

However, keep face masks mandatory for public transport and public spaces like supermarkets, until infection rates drastically reduce.

It seems quite clear that some of the workers in these places are anxious about coming into contact with potentially hundreds of customers a day and that wearing masks would help mitigate that. 

I think that mandating anything shouldn't be entered into lightly and that mitigating only perceived risks falls short of the criteria for a mandate. The effect on actual risk will be negligible. 

But i think that people should wear masks as a courtesy and to show consideration for other people's feelings. 

If people have just forgotten to put their mask on or are finding it genuinely uncomfortable then they should be allowed in shops, on buses etc. 

If people choose to be rude and selfish then they are entitled to do so and they shouldn't be outside the law. Being a twat is a legal right. 

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

WFH is utter shite, I can't wait to be back in the office full time.

Same. Mainly because I work with a lot of 8s and 9s so I am very keen to see them in the office again.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Same. Mainly because I work with a lot of 8s and 9s so I am very keen to see them in the office again.

Same here.

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Well this is nonsense, obviously doesn't actually know what 'virulent' means:

According to the latest studies, the vaccines in use at present offer reliable protection against the Delta variant – the most virulent of the four variants so far uncovered.

And then there's this:

Yet the home suffered an infection of 55 of its 119 residents. Most suffered relatively mild symptoms

But he was careful to point out that public disquiet at this point would be premature.

In that view, he was joined by Steven Van Gucht of Sciensano, once his colleague on the daily presentation.

“The outbreak in Nivelles is above all very exceptional. There are now fewer than five outbreaks per week at the 1,500 residential care centres in Belgium,” he told the paper.

And in those cases, the problem is a few infections, not dozens.

“I would call the situation across all residential care centres particularly encouraging,” he said. But a care home is also a world unto itself.

“You are dealing with a very vulnerable group of people, often with a weaker immune system. Occasionally it can and will go wrong. We have also seen this in the past with flu vaccines: even though almost everyone is vaccinated, people still die from it.”

So yes, care homes from time to time will still get pumped from Covid and all other infectious viruses. Shock horror!

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
31 minutes ago, BlueBear said:
Just get everything opened up and every c**t back to work, ending the pretend home working shite. 
However, keep face masks mandatory for public transport and public spaces like supermarkets, until infection rates drastically reduce.
Private Companies/Offices to decide on their own policies on sanitising and mask wearing.
As for the fitba, maybe start with 50% capacity for a few weeks and see how it goes, with sampling test and trace with the Glasgow clubs. I doubt any serious transmission rates and add that with vaxxing, little if any serious illness. Should be down to the support if they want to attend anyway. Clubs need to know wtf is happening as they need to prepare in advance. 
As for vaccinating the schoolies, undecided, seeing were all just Guinea pigs on vaxxing. OK for adults, but for kids the risks of severe illness are virtually zero, versus the unknown vax effects on them, which could be major, who knows?!  Maybe vax the high school lot at a push. Wouldn't trust any government propaganda on it, particularly if they start giving it AZ is now OK for kids (as there's f**k else left!) as we've done more trials. Aye, nay bother, hawd me back!

We are never returning to office based working nor will millions of others. It's one positive benefit of this whole debacle. Why do you want people to return to office based working ?

Stop the skiving of the lazy b*****ds among them. If you think they're all doing the right thing, you'll be niave in the extreme. Shops are now mobbed during the week and it ain't from the unemployed. Time to get back to full productivity. Face to face communication is key to that. 

As for furlough, enough is enough.  Thank f**k its ending. Economically, the country is on its arse. 

People should at least have the choice. Home working is never going to work for everyone, especially if they don’t have the space at home to dedicate to working, nor can get the peace and quiet for it.
You run the risk of jobs if forced to be WFH being unable to be taken up by certain individuals because of their home life set up and that is grossly unfair / unequal.
Sorry wasn't that clear. Yes we have been given options for those who couldn't but it's under 10% with us taking those options. From talking to other contractors who do LA work it seems most Scottish LAs are switching to hybrid models. That's a bug chunk of the Scottish workforce. No idea why anyone would object to such a move with the caveats in place for the small number who want to return. Those opting to be office based could well be hot desking as employers dispose of expensive office buildings.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The more I think about it the more I am coming to the view that these people are not just on furlough. I think the majority of them are working from home and don't want to return to the office. I reckon the latter form the bulk of them.

There's no other reasonable explanation for the levels of panic we're seeing.

Absolute nap there will be plenty of fatty VL's loving the fact they don't have to show their chops at the office and can just close off their work and then go straight to playing games the rest of the day.

Rinse and repeat.

Stop the skiving of the lazy b*****ds among them. If you think they're all doing the right thing, you'll be niave in the extreme. Shops are now mobbed during the week and it ain't from the unemployed. Time to get back to full productivity. Face to face communication is key to that. 
As for furlough, enough is enough.  Thank f**k its ending. Economically, the country is on its arse. 
Lolz the take of a dinosaur. Any employer getting the piss taken out of them as you describe with the technology available nowadays deserves all they get.

Anyway why would that bother you unless you were said employer ?

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It seems quite clear that some of the workers in these places are anxious about coming into contact with potentially hundreds of customers a day and that wearing masks would help mitigate that. 

I think that mandating anything shouldn't be entered into lightly and that mitigating only perceived risks falls short of the criteria for a mandate. The effect on actual risk will be negligible. 

But i think that people should wear masks as a courtesy and to show consideration for other people's feelings. 

If people have just forgotten to put their mask on or are finding it genuinely uncomfortable then they should be allowed in shops, on buses etc. 

If people choose to be rude and selfish then they are entitled to do so and they shouldn't be outside the law. Being a twat is a legal right. 

Courtesy my arse. 

There is health and safety law to comply with and protect workers and suitable and sufficient risk assessment to be carried out to protect them and in these times, Covid a hazard for risk assessment, the output of which probably will equal masks to be worn. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Lolz the take of a dinosaur. Any employer getting the piss taken out of them as you describe with the technology available nowadays deserves all they get.

Anyway why would that bother you unless you were said employer ?

As an employer, paying fuckers to play at home as a right, ain't fucking happening. As an employer I decide.

The fuckers ripping the piss are those with your mind set.

They can either get with the programme or enjoy the dole. 

Absolute nap there will be plenty of fatty VL's loving the fact they don't have to show their chops at the office and can just close off their work and then go straight to playing games the rest of the day.
Rinse and repeat.
Plenty fit folk too, work / life balance. Great not having a commute no matter what you do post work.

9 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Stop the skiving of the lazy b*****ds among them. If you think they're all doing the right thing, you'll be niave in the extreme. Shops are now mobbed during the week and it ain't from the unemployed. Time to get back to full productivity. Face to face communication is key to that

Is it hell.  I've worked in geographically distributed teams for years and being remote doesn't impact productivity in the slightest.  Even before the world went crazy for video conferencing last April a telephone/screen sharing was a perfectly adequate means of communicating,

There may be some scenarios where face to face makes more sense but for the majority it's irrelevant.

30 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

People should at least have the choice. Home working is never going to work for everyone, especially if they don’t have the space at home to dedicate to working, nor can get the peace and quiet for it.

You run the risk of jobs if forced to be WFH being unable to be taken up by certain individuals because of their home life set up and that is grossly unfair / unequal.

You'll end up with workers renting office space as contractors. 

45 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

It’s only asking me the date I had my first jab and I’m giving them that date. It’s still not working. I’ll need to phone up the helpline but not very hopefully considering all the details my side are correct.

I couldn't access mine until Friday. It kept saying I didn't exist then all of a sudden it worked? I was vaccinated by GP so don't know if it was taking more time to add those.

As an employer, paying fuckers to play at home as a right, ain't fucking happening. As an employer I decide.
The fuckers ripping the piss are those with your mind set.
They can either get with the programme or enjoy the dole. 
Thankfully employers like those are few and far between these days. Only a dreadful employer would give jobs to staff with that mindset in the first place. Funny that folk who are all in favour of making mask wearing optional go the exact opposite when it comes to WFH. Personal responsibility- laughable in that situation you describe it's total hypocrisy. In ICT thankfully WFH will be the default now no matter what the old skool dinosaurs think. The world has changed, mostly not for the good but when it comes to WFH options it's long overdue.