Coronavirus (COVID-19)

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a world record for the percentage of people being offered and accepting a vaccination in 6 months. It's way more than anyone expected.  

We are doing very well tbf,. Doesn’t mean there’s not a problem.

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, parsforlife said:
There’s still a huge chunk to get through who will get vaccinated, but for various reasons haven’t been caught up with yet.
There’s a fair proportion of the population who don’t pay much attention to news/ press releases etc.   For those people they might not even be aware that they should of have had the vaccine by now,  they may had no idea where/if they are GP registered.  They might not know where their nearest walk in centres is or even that they exist.  This group will take  while to get through but can be picked up through local info and generally family/friends getting them telt.
We also have the unorganised,  they know they should of had the vaccine,  they know where/how to get it,  but they’ll do it next week, or when they’ve spoken to Mary about a lift,  or once their back from holiday.  

Neither of these groups don’t want the vaccine, they just haven’t got themselves in a position to get it yet.

The other 2 groups are vaccine hesitant, they’ve read the anti vax bullshit,  they’ve heard the official advice but can’t figure out what the right choice are,   A few of these can get picked off with good debate and education.
Then we have full on anti vax c***s.  They won’t ever get vaccinated voluntarily.  . Let them catch it and refuse any treatment when they do. 

I suspect a fair chunk of the young team won't be interested in being vaccinated but are no way anti vaxx. We have a couple at work who don't feel Covid is a threat to them so no intention of getting vaccinated. That isn't going to help herd immunity though.

These guys are certainly anti vax.   They are refusing a vaccine that A) would help them if they caught Covid (reduce their chances of getting it, falling ill and the severity of illness, even once we recognise the unlikelihood of death}.; and B) crucially your point in herd immunity.

Its almost more concerning if someone knows the benifits of vaccines but refuses to get one because they think their individual benefit isn’t worth the benefit to society than it is because they think microchips are in it.

You can maybe bring round a mentalist,  a selfish c**t, Much more difficult.

Edited by parsforlife

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Presumably these people will have to be isolated from everyone anyway because they are vulnerable to any infection from bacterial or viral sources.

Not really. Its not like something that you have instantly from the minute you get Chemo and you might not even know you have it all unless you were to get sick.

We don’t routinely isolate these folk from anything. Its like people who were high risk and shielding during this who now aren’t. 

Also, people showing up in A&E with week old sunburn, cobweb in their eyes or shit like that doesn’t help. 

Edited by SoapMactavish

I suspect a fair chunk of the young team won't be interested in being vaccinated but are no way anti vaxx. We have a couple at work who don't feel Covid is a threat to them so no intention of getting vaccinated. That isn't going to help herd immunity though.

They may well catch Covid which will contribute to herd immunity.

The other 2 groups are vaccine hesitant, they’ve read the anti vax bullshit,  they’ve heard the official advice but can’t figure out what the right choice are,   A few of these can get picked off with good debate and education.
Then we have full on anti vax c***s.  They won’t ever get vaccinated voluntarily.  . Let them catch it and refuse any treatment when they do. 

I know 2 guys who I otherwise had thought were reasonably sensible who fall into the latter category.

1 is almost 60, born and bred in Glasgow, and married to an Indian Muslim. He won't be getting the vaccine because "my wife has researched it, there could be anything in it."

The other is early 50s, happened to casually mention the vaccines last week when we were playing golf together and he went off on a proper rant. "Causes loads of blood disorders" and "the vaccines will kill more than the virus" were among the highlights.

Didn't even bother arguing with either of them because that way madness lies.

They may well catch Covid which will contribute to herd immunity.
Fair point. Possibly another reason why they don't see the need to be vaccinated in the first place. They are happy to take their (very remote) chances of becoming seriously I'll if they do.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

Vaccinated people can still carry the virus (though at a lower level it seems) so could pass it to the unvaxed dudes.  However, the unvaxed dudes have a lesser chance of passing the virus to the double jabbed.

I didn’t know that. Every days a school day! 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I didn’t know that. Every days a school day! 

That's been my understanding anyway - being double jabbed lessens the chance of the person suffering seriously from covid,  but only lessens (rather than remove) their ability to pass it on to contacts while infected.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Russia seemingly in the shite with the India variant.

Sky news had a Russian nurse on who’s apparently had Covid 3 times and the last time she was on a ventilator.  Never had a vaccine.  Sounds legit.

Sky absolutely love a scare story.

14 minutes ago, strichener said:

Aye in hospitals by the medical staff.  Anything in addition to this can gtf.

Yep, they've served any potential mitigation purpose already; we now have stacks of ridiculously effective vaccines instead. Imposing the former while having the latter is utterly pointless. 

I don't find wearing a mask shriekingly objectionable* but the obligation part of this and every other behavioural measure has to get in the sea. If people choose to keep wearing them then that's up to them; I might keep my filter mask handy whenever navigating Hope Street or some other polluted mess. I wouldn't be taking it on and off again every time I wanted to enter a shop or travel on public transport though, because it's ludicrously inconvenient and serves little benefit.

Pubs with no booking system, no two staff members having to carry out table service, no shan social distancing and drinks at the bar as in a civilised society again = all is right with the world.

DLLyGZ.gif.0a687329b587465df5325d9d7d26aae6.gif

Edited by vikingTON