Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:
JL telling to now open a window to stop the virus emoji38.png 

That advice has been in place since day 1 virtually. Nothing new in that.

And if his response to high cases is simply “open a window”, that’s a fairly significant (and positive) shift from him. 

Even just a few weeks ago he’d have been talking about keeping an eye on things, considering measures etc. 

Edited by The Master

You get the distinct impression the media are getting pissed at the lack of panic the SG are now showing. Every question no matter how loaded pretty much batted away by both Sturgeon and Leitch there. Each subsequent question basically an extension of the one before just swatted aside.

Ditto Bauld who seems pretty peeved at the path we seem to be on now.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I would guess that you have much more medical knowledge than I do, but from a statistical point of view it is surely the case that as the risk of people dying from covid decreases (as a result of vaccination and improved treatment), the proportion of people who have covid but die from other causes increases?

I think as the risk of folk dying comes down then the proportion of people dying while positive for covid will come down. 

I haven’t seen much in the way of positive asymptomstic cases in Hospitals, most folk are symptomatic or are asymptomatic at the time of testing and then develop symptoms. 

Thankfully as a result of treatment we are better at stopping punters getting sicker and also the ones coming in are generally not as sick. Some folk, similar to the previous waves are coming in too sick and at that point its anyones guess.

All that being said, and believe me after 18 months of watching folk suffocate to death I want things back to how they used to be, if every hospital is having to have 1 or 2 wards set aside for Covid as well as a number of ITU beds then things will never be back to the way they were before.

Another couple of misconceptions are:

- Its just the like flu; it isn’t its considerably more dangerous, more infectious and with a much more complex pattern of complications

- its just “fatties” or folk with a multitude of underlying conditions that get real sick with it. It isn’t. Sure these folk will get ill but the overwhelming majority of people I’ve seen in ITU have had very mild things like well controlled diabetes or mild asthma. 

Just now, mizfit said:

What about the air conditioning?

now your just showing off!

the rhetoric today , to me at least ,sounds like the emergency response phase of this pandemic is drawing to a close in this country , domestic normality is coming and people catching the virus day to day is going to just be accepted. and if necessary treated. 

38 minutes ago, The Master said:

Basically, there’s a variant that’s more transmissible and has more opportunities to transmit compared to the previous waves (hospitality staying open etc.), but is being absolutely smashed by the vaccines.

Pleasing. 

Isn't that almost the perfect scenario for our current situation (just so long as the NHS can cope)? We want to get to herd immunity but that needs lots of vaccines and/or lots of people having recovered from being infected. We've basically vaccinated the people most at risk so if the virus infects those who will very likely recover from it, we can get to herd immunity quicker than just vaccinating?

Also, wonder if any journalist will ask the question about why we're still persisting with levels 1 and 2 which have no relation to case numbers?

Edited by Ginaro

18 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

That's 50% of the population finally double dosed as of yesterday. I thought we were beyond that but clearly we weren't.

More than 50% of the adult population will have been doubled jagged already - this will be overall population. 

I wish they wouldn't mix and match those stats, it gets confusing. 

3 minutes ago, SoapMactavish said:

I think as the risk of folk dying comes down then the proportion of people dying while positive for covid will come down. 

I haven’t seen much in the way of positive asymptomstic cases in Hospitals, most folk are symptomatic or are asymptomatic at the time of testing and then develop symptoms. 

Thankfully as a result of treatment we are better at stopping punters getting sicker and also the ones coming in are generally not as sick. Some folk, similar to the previous waves are coming in too sick and at that point its anyones guess.

All that being said, and believe me after 18 months of watching folk suffocate to death I want things back to how they used to be, if every hospital is having to have 1 or 2 wards set aside for Covid as well as a number of ITU beds then things will never be back to the way they were before.

Another couple of misconceptions are:

- Its just the like flu; it isn’t its considerably more dangerous, more infectious and with a much more complex pattern of complications

- its just “fatties” or folk with a multitude of underlying conditions that get real sick with it. It isn’t. Sure these folk will get ill but the overwhelming majority of people I’ve seen in ITU have had very mild things like well controlled diabetes or mild asthma. 

What plan or procedure was there for treating a novel respiratory virus before this came along? i read online that high death rates in itally back at the start could have been down to them intubating the majority of patients but for some this made it worse?

More than 50% of the adult population will have been doubled jagged already - this will be overall population. 
I wish they wouldn't mix and match those stats, it gets confusing. 
To be fair she did say that and that's what I was referring to. Still thought we were beyond that. We are still about 0.5m and 1.5m doses short (first and second) of eligible population based on today's figs. Going to be well into September at current rates but that was the original target if I remembered correctly.

To be fair she did say that and that's what I was referring to. Still thought we were beyond that. We are still about 0.5m and 1.5m doses short (first and second) of eligible population based on today's figs. Going to be well into September at current rates but that was the original target if I remembered correctly.

Don’t see why they can’t say 2nd dose walk ins are available from the 4 week mark

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

What plan or procedure was there for treating a novel respiratory virus before this came along? i read online that high death rates in itally back at the start could have been down to them intubating the majority of patients but for some this made it worse?

I don’t think there was one for novel respiratory viruses on the scale it has developed into. Our plan and simulation runs in February 2020 were anticipating 1 patient, maybe, if we were unlucky (Lols :lol:)

Intubation for Covid is a last resort, there comes a point where there is no other way to keep someone from desaturating. However again, intubation with Covid has a horrendous mortality. I know of 2 folk from a few seperate large hospitals, out of maybe 100 to120 I’ve seen that have survived intubation and covid and been discharged home :unsure2:

14 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Also, wonder if any journalist will ask the question about why we're still persisting with levels 1 and 2 which have no relation to case numbers?

The areas in level 1 and 2 have made no sense for weeks now. It is basically a lottery as to where you were 4-5 weeks ago when they decided on those. It is pretty unfair on businesses that this isn't being looked at. I only say businesses because the general public are pretty much back to normal but businesses still have to comply to contradicting rules which is unfair.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Don’t see why they can’t say 2nd dose walk ins are available from the 4 week mark

Supply, I would imagine.

If you cut the time to 4 weeks, in theory you could be doubling the number of people looking for their second dose (in the short term, at least). 

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

The areas in level 1 and 2 have made no sense for weeks now. It is basically a lottery as to where you were 4-5 weeks ago when they decided on those. It is pretty unfair on businesses that this isn't being looked at. I only say businesses because the general public are pretty much back to normal but businesses still have to comply to contradicting rules which is unfair.

No sense to this.

Just shows how hopeless the Scottish media are.

They appear to act as agents of the state.