Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It seemed bizarre, watching the tennis last night and the place looked packed, folk going mental at each point that was played, yet a handful of stewards were sat with a mask on. Looked daft tbh and there certainly wasn’t 50% spaces in the stands that were shown on telly. 
Leitch said last week we might get back to the Scottish football in a full stadium on 10th August which begs the question why not at the start of the season, in the middle of summer, outdoors and in line with other sports throughout UK, since it seems safe enough to pack Wimbledon, Wembley and at the Grand Prix in a few weeks’ time?

1 minute ago, deegee said:

It seemed bizarre, watching the tennis last night and the place looked packed, folk going mental at each point that was played, yet a handful of stewards were sat with a mask on. Looked daft tbh and there certainly wasn’t 50% spaces in the stands that were shown on telly. 
Leitch said last week we might get back to the Scottish football in a full stadium on 10th August which begs the question why not at the start of the season, in the middle of summer, outdoors and in line with other sports throughout UK, since it seems safe enough to pack Wimbledon, Wembley and at the Grand Prix in a few weeks’ time?

Spot on.

Still seeing so many idiots walking about in the fresh air wearing masks. Madness!!

Theyre making a statement that they can’t think for themselves and are happy to be subservient robots.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Spot on.

Still seeing so many idiots walking about in the fresh air wearing masks. Madness!!

Theyre making a statement that they can’t think for themselves and are happy to be subservient robots.

I’m wearing the mask less and less. Never outdoors in any place despite seeing terrified folk in the masks, goggles and gloves looking at me as if I’m a mass murderer for walking unmasked from my car to the front door of the supermarket! I pity these folk. I was in England with work the other week and in the bar, masks were patched by all by the end of the evening, including the lad behind the bar. It just felt better and allowed adults to make their personal choice since we’re mainly double- dunted  full of vaccines. 

Edited by deegee

12 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Spot on.

They won't all be idiots or subservient robots. It's perfectly understandable that some people are really struggling with this given the messages they've had  around Covid over the last 18 months.

Edit to add I'm not for a moment saying that's what we should be doing. We need to continue to bin the restrictions given the huge success of the vaccines. It's not that simple for some people though.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

....and right on cue, watching some middle aged lump on Question Time say she is scared walking down the street without a mask and she won’t be taking it off anytime soon! It’s a serious point as these folk need help with their mental health and to reintegrate with society. At least the next girl speaking, as well as David Davies on the panel have said it’s more important we get back to normal. 

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

They won't all be idiots or subservient robots. It's perfectly understandable that some people are really struggling with this given the messages they've had  around Covid over the last 18 months.

You’ve just agreed that they can’t think for themselves. Enough said!!

5 minutes ago, deegee said:

....and right on cue, watching some middle aged lump on Question Time say she is scared walking down the street without a mask and she won’t be taking it off anytime soon! It’s a serious point as these folk need help with their mental health and to reintegrate with society. At least the next girl speaking, as well as David Davies on the panel have said it’s more important we get back to normal. 

Let her go wild.  If it’s voluntary you crack on love. If these loons can’t think for themselves the rest of us shouldn’t have our lives restricted for it.

10 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You’ve just agreed that they can’t think for themselves. Enough said!!

What I've said is that some people are really struggling with their mental health. That may well mean they have issues "thinking for themselves" as you put it. 

That doesn't in my view define them as idiots. Maybe to you it does. If that's the case we'll need to agree to disagree. There are of course some idiots out there but not everyone who doesn't want to do what you and I see as the way forward is an idiot.

As I added to my post, possibly after you quoted it, I'm not saying I agree with such a strategy as the way forward, just saying it's understandable that some folk are really struggling.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Let her go wild.  If it’s voluntary you crack on love. If these loons can’t think for themselves the rest of us shouldn’t have our lives restricted for it.

Absolutely- anyone who wants to continue with masks and distancing is perfectly free to do so. Equally, no one has to go to pubs or football matches if they don’t want.

But what we can’t have is the lovejoys dictating to the rest of us how to live our lives.

Talking to a taxi driver the other day from behind his screen, said he hasn't caught a cold since he put it in last spring (not a proper one, just a shower curtain and some velcro, saved a fortune). Said he used to catch everything going. Flu didn't happen at all last winter afaik. I'm expecting some precautions to linger on and maybe become mainstream, like if you've got a really shitty cold and have to take a bus, maybe wearing a mask.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Absolutely- anyone who wants to continue with masks and distancing is perfectly free to do so. Equally, no one has to go to pubs or football matches if they don’t want.

But what we can’t have is the lovejoys dictating to the rest of us how to live our lives.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Talking to a taxi driver the other day from behind his screen, said he hasn't caught a cold since he put it in last spring (not a proper one, just a shower curtain and some velcro, saved a fortune). Said he used to catch everything going. Flu didn't happen at all last winter afaik. I'm expecting some precautions to linger on and maybe become mainstream, like if you've got a really shitty cold and have to take a bus, maybe wearing a mask.

He’s stolen that taxi.  No actual taxi driver in this country is that upbeat.

The increase in hospital figures in Ninewells is mostly down to folk who're in for other issues catching it because they're in the same bay as someone who's infected. Our covid admissions haven't doubled overnight as you'd initially suspect.
Fingers crossed they're all okay, some are definitely in the vulnerable category and family members will be naturally worried. 
Are they still counting the hospital figures as 'folk in hospital who have tested positive for covid' as opposed to 'folk who are in hospital because of covid'??

My wife knows a nurse who said that the possible is Ninewells was getting close to what it was in the winter again (which is obviously worrying).

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Andy Burnham giving the variants what if chat now.

Much as it was quite funny when he made Johnson and Sturgeon look daft despite being a totally beige politician, it's good to see that he's still an idiot. 

A bit like Sadiq Khan, more than happy to chop and change support between easing measures and not easing them whenever it seems to suit. Ridiculous to stop people travelling to Manchester from Scotland last week, and now some nonsense spiel about variants this week. Variants of course being more likely to happen in plague pits with the highest care rates in Britain. But that contradiction will be lost on him. 

Still, never mind. Reet good Northern Lad, is Andy. 

Edited by Michael W

4 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

The increase in hospital figures in Ninewells is mostly down to folk who're in for other issues catching it because they're in the same bay as someone who's infected. Our covid admissions haven't doubled overnight as you'd initially suspect.

Fingers crossed they're all okay, some are definitely in the vulnerable category and family members will be naturally worried. 

It's annoying that they still haven't found a way of isolating covid patients and staff dealing with them from everyone else. I'm sure it's all very difficult but they've had 18 months to figure it out.

Was down at a family funeral today in the Borders.  Back to the local pub where we had over 50 people in a small room - no social distancing, no masks and nobody giving a f**k.

Staff were brilliant and not a word was uttered.

In other words "normality"

Edit to add I'm not for a moment saying that's what we should be doing. We need to continue to bin the restrictions given the huge success of the vaccines. It's not that simple for some people though.
It does, by proxy, make them subservient robots, if not idiots, though.

If they could, for even a second, think for themselves they may realise that wandering about in the open air with a piece of cloth on their face is completely unnecessary behaviour.

I've just watched Question Time, and unsurprisingly it was very Covidy. Some of the contributors clapping away like seals when a couple of others suggested keeping restrictions indefinitely. It was akin to the scenes of folk clapping as a plane lands.

I'm not saying we weren't broken as a civilisation in the ante-covid days but there's little doubt now.

18 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Are they still counting the hospital figures as 'folk in hospital who have tested positive for covid' as opposed to 'folk who are in hospital because of covid'??

My wife knows a nurse who said that the possible is Ninewells was getting close to what it was in the winter again (which is obviously worrying).

While the recent rises in hospital numbers are a concern we need to keep a sense of perspective here.

Today's figures state that NHS Tayside has 36 Covid positive patients in hospital. On the 15th January there were 189 such patients. Ninewells is nowhere near the numbers it had in January despite the huge numbers of cases there have been over the last period. I think we can be sure the numbers will increase a bit more going forward but to say Ninewells is getting close to what it had in the winter is just nonsense. 

Edit to add it may be that the nurse you refer to is making a prediction but that's not how it reads to me. Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood.