Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

The article does say they will have a system in place if they want to use them in the winter. 

I think the positive cases after Wembley just shows how fcking futile the vaccine status or negative tests really are. Absolutely no need for them to be used now let alone the winter 

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

Just received an e-mail from our wee one's nursery saying they have received notification about a new variant with new symptoms and anyone displaying any of these symptoms has to self isolate and book a PCR test.

One of the symptoms is "a runny nose".

f**k this shit man. Is there any toddler in the entire world that doesn't have a runny fucking nose?

Kids having a runny nose in the summer when its hayfever season, whoever should have thought it! 

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

We're close to achieving herd immunity where the virus will run out of hosts to infect.  We have roughly 2/3rds of the adult population fully vaccinated.  Limited chance of spread.  We also have a bunch of adults and children who will have immunity through infection.  People acquiring immunity through infection that isn't stressing the NHS is a good thing at the moment.

Quite simply the virus will have no place to go.

It's an interesting point but if we were close achieving herd immunity it would be difficult for the virus to be spreading so rapidly as it is at the moment.  That will happen eventually of course, I suspect it will be more like a few months rather than a few weeks.  The reduction in transmission for the Delta variant is significantly less than for the original strain (which is what the vaccines are based on), so some vaccinated people are still getting it, albeit in a much milder form.

As you suggest though, the main thing is the stress on the health system and then ultimately the number of deaths, neither of which is causing a big problem at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Gnash said:

It's an interesting point but if we were close achieving herd immunity it would be difficult for the virus to be spreading so rapidly as it is at the moment.  That will happen eventually of course, I suspect it will be more like a few months rather than a few weeks.  The reduction in transmission for the Delta variant is significantly less than for the original strain (which is what the vaccines are based on), so some vaccinated people are still getting it, albeit in a much milder form.

As you suggest though, the main thing is the stress on the health system and then ultimately the number of deaths, neither of which is causing a big problem at the moment.

Again, positive PCR tests are not proof the virus is "spreading"

Immune systems and vaccines could be crushing the virus and PCR positives could still be high due to increased interaction.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Good news even although they should already be open. 

The proof will be what happens this winter. If we get through it without a lockdown or a domestic vaccine passport becoming normalised I'll be delighted. However the Daily Mail article that was linked yesterday said the digital infrastructure required for the vaccine passport was already there, will be used for Premiership matches and it can be scaled up quickly in the winter so it's less clear cut than the headline suggests. 

I'm amazed Majorca is welcoming the Brit holidaymakers when you read this.

Spanish school students stuck in hotel quarantine in Majorca

"We are afraid, because they haven't told us how long we are going to be trapped here," says 17-year-old Lucía, adding: "We were moved without our parents' consent."

She is among around 200 Spanish students being held under police guard at the Palma Bellver hotel in Majorca, in Spain's Balearic Islands, after an outbreak of more than 1,000 cases of Covid-19 were linked to end-of-year trips by celebrating school students.

Last week, several students attempted to leave the island, but most were stopped by police at the airport and taken to the hotel for quarantine.

Three managed to make it back to the mainland and authorities have issued search warrants for their detention, local media report.

Police are now monitoring the four-star Palma Bellver hotel with 24-hour surveillance. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57635377

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Distinct lack of masks on the train there...

mePvR5-1.gif

I've been getting train every week for last year. I'd say mask use is still 99%. 

42 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Where are you getting this from?

The second part I've highlighted will always happen as no vaccine is 100% effective

Also the virus will still spread rapidly at the moment as the unvaccinated are the people in society most likely to be mixing with each other (younger people)

6 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I'm amazed Majorca is welcoming the Brit holidaymakers when you read this.

Spanish students sit in the bar for 4 hours with a half pint of beer between them, whereas the Brits....

56 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Good news even although they should already be open. 

The proof will be what happens this winter. If we get through it without a lockdown or a domestic vaccine passport becoming normalised I'll be delighted. However the Daily Mail article that was linked yesterday said the digital infrastructure required for the vaccine passport was already there, will be used for Premiership matches and it can be scaled up quickly in the winter so it's less clear cut than the headline suggests. 

Nightclubs are sweaty havens indoors and they dont require them so why the hell does football which is erm outside? 

I actually think it's a good thing we're opening up with cases on the rise as it should dampen most remaining bed wetting compared to having low cases, opening up, and then cases rising again.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Where are you getting this from?

The second part I've highlighted will always happen as no vaccine is 100% effective

Also the virus will still spread rapidly at the moment as the unvaccinated are the people in society most likely to be mixing with each other (younger people)

It's been in loads of places in the media, but here's a link to the BMJ - https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1346.  

And yes, I'm aware that no vaccine is 100% effective, the point again is that current vaccines are less effective at reducing transmission of the Delta variant versus the Alpha variant (and the even more so versus the original strain).

5 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t know what you’re showing me? 

Gilruth  literally stated a ticket OR a safe place to watch the game. Absolutely nothing about only travelling if you have a ticket. Khan also said the exact same thing numerous times. 

Sorry I was just replying to the comment that said "Yup, no mention whatsoever of not travelling without a ticket" because it was clearly mentioned. Pretty much everyone said at the time the bit about 'not travelling without a ticket or safe place to watch the game', so it's a pretty moot point to blame politicians. You can argue they should maybe have provided a fan zone for the Scotland fans in London, knowing that there would be people who would ignore advice and travel, but it's the travelling on packed buses & trains to London and the mucking about in the pubs and streets that would have been the problem anyway, so....

The fact is, the media are trumpeting today about how around 2,000 cases have been linked to those who travelled to London. Which is not great, but they are completely ignoring that figures is from around 32,000 cases that week, so not a huge amount. To be fair, a point I heard Leitch trying to make on the radio today.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That is a screamer. Potential for 2 or 3 x the Jan peak, without mitigiations....

What about dropping down levels and the numbers STILL being on their arse emoji1.png

Melt.

It amazes me that she still has a career, much less people hanging off her every word.

12 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Sorry I was just replying to the comment that said "Yup, no mention whatsoever of not travelling without a ticket" because it was clearly mentioned. Pretty much everyone said at the time the bit about 'not travelling without a ticket or safe place to watch the game', so it's a pretty moot point to blame politicians. You can argue they should maybe have provided a fan zone for the Scotland fans in London, knowing that there would be people who would ignore advice and travel, but it's the travelling on packed buses & trains to London and the mucking about in the pubs and streets that would have been the problem anyway, so....

The fact is, the media are trumpeting today about how around 2,000 cases have been linked to those who travelled to London. Which is not great, but they are completely ignoring that figures is from around 32,000 cases that week, so not a huge amount. To be fair, a point I heard Leitch trying to make on the radio today.

I’m certainly not blaming politicians, however Sturgeon’s comments today don’t reflect what she actually said at the time. There was never any advice from her government to only travel if you had a match ticket. That was really my only issue.