Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just received an e-mail from our wee one's nursery saying they have received notification about a new variant with new symptoms and anyone displaying any of these symptoms has to self isolate and book a PCR test.

One of the symptoms is "a runny nose".

f**k this shit man. Is there any toddler in the entire world that doesn't have a runny fucking nose?

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Just received an e-mail from our wee one's nursery saying they have received notification about a new variant with new symptoms and anyone displaying any of these symptoms has to self isolate and book a PCR test.

f**k this shit man. Is there any toddler in the entire world that doesn't have a runny fucking nose?

This comes from Prof Tim Spector at UCL who has been tracking symptoms. Basically the Delta variant is indistinguishable from hay fever in younger people with the exception that you can manage hay fever with anti histamines. 

So...your kid has a runny nose in hay fever season. Should you really lock yourself and family indoors for 10 days? Getting in to farce territory now.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Does anyone know if you need the EU Covid passport to enter the Union? 

It comes out tomorrow but will exclude people that have had the AZ manufactured in India, not sure if we have been using that?

Perversely, AZ (or vaxzevria as it appears on the covid documentation) is fine. Covishield (the same fucking vaccine!) which is issued in India is not. 

I have no idea why this is. 

IIRC, you can  get a paper copy of your vaccine confirmation and you should then  be fine for entry  as long as we're not banned from the country in question. 

33 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Why would any industry want to voluntarily introduce vaccine domestic passports if they aren't forced to?  Makes no sense to me.

I imagine none will. Allowing them the option, however, placates the Lovejoys for now.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If it was me I'd ask if I could postpone it for a week, if not and and you'd be at the back of the queue again I'd just go for it and hope for the best. Had zero side effects from both my Pfizers.

Took them 4 months to get the appointment scheduled in the first place. No idea how long I will need to wait if I try and reschedule it, essentially I just go to the back of the list and get another appointment whenever there is one available. Unfortunately Kanton Aargau is living up to its reputation in Switzerland and is lagging a bit behind the rest in getting through its residents. I think I will just get it over with and accept that my weekend is going to be shite.

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Perversely, AZ (or vaxzevria as it appears on the covid documentation) is fine. Covishield (the same fucking vaccine!) which is issued in India is not. 

IIRC, you can  get a paper copy of your vaccine confirmation and you should then  be fine for entry  as long as we're not banned from the country in question. 

It seems to be the way things are going. NATO countries only recognising their own vaccines. China doing the same. The Global South shut out. 

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Why would any industry want to voluntarily introduce vaccine domestic passports if they aren't forced to?  Makes no sense to me.

As already mentioned, it might help ease the Lovejoy's back in until it's realised how needless they are.

53 minutes ago, 101 said:

It comes out tomorrow but will exclude people that have had the AZ manufactured in India, not sure if we have been using that?

Nothing racist at all to see here - nope!

59 minutes ago, 101 said:

Make sure you get the paper version of your vaccine proof posted out to you, the download one is just a text file you could have done yourself on notepad. Malta are saying that's the rule, they won't even accept the NHS England app proof. And we can't get the EU covid passport, at least for the present and likely never. All our AZ vaccines were made in the UK or Belgium afaik.

Edited by welshbairn

49 minutes ago, Michael W said:

That's just bizarre -  have they stated a reason?

22 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It seems to be the way things are going. NATO countries only recognising their own vaccines. China doing the same. The Global South shut out. 

Canada is recognising both Vaxzevria and Covishield (and AZD1222) to get exemptions and allow travel. They aren't allowing mostly the Russian and Chinese vaccines. 

With regards to whether the SG told people not to travel, what were the Scottish Government really meant to do, beyond what they said?  The restrictions both north and south of the border permitted perfectly lawful travel between Glasgow and London.

I think we would have likely have found ourselves in a similar position in terms of cases even if nobody had travelled as gatherings and congregations would have just taken place up here.   Given the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the SG (wrongly) tried to stop travel between Scotland and Manchester, it seems they would have been damned either way.

In any case, given they are largely ignoring case rates now anyway, the whole thing seems fairly irrelevant.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Make sure you get the paper version of your vaccine proof posted out to you, the download one is just a text file you could have done yourself on notepad. Malta are saying that's the rule, they won't even accept the NHS England app proof. And we can't get the EU covid passport, at least for the present and likely never. All our AZ vaccines were made in the UK or Belgium afaik.

Nah.  We ordered 10m AZ from India.  Only half of them were delivered.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-britain-india-idUSKCN2AV0A2

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I hear ya! My son only turned 2 in March there, his back teeth are coming in so his nose has been runny non stop for 2 weeks now, pretty sure every other child is the same, it's getting ridiculous now mate! 

Stephen Reicher is another absolute psycho and one for the watch IMO. How can these freaks just not see it's finished thanks to the vaccines, and so is public compliance. Like, do they actually think the genie can be put back in the bottle again and not understand what 15 months of draconian restrictions have meant for people's lives? And they still can't come to the realisation that 'contact tracing' an endemic virus is fucking fantasyland nonsense. It's like these 'independent SAGErs' are the GDR top brass who can't accept the Berlin Wall is already coming down.

Posted at 9:26

UK risks repeat of 2020 mistakes - government adviser

The UK is in danger of seeing a repeat of mistakes made last summer, a government scientific adviser has warned.

Professor Stephen Reicher, from the University of St Andrews and a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) subcommittee on behavioural science, told Times Radio: "My fear is that we're on line to repeat the mistakes of last summer.

"If you remember, the prime minister told us it was our patriotic duty to go to the pub, that people should go to work or they might lose their jobs, we had eat out to help out.

"The consequence was we never got infections low enough to be able to deal with the disease and so when conditions changed in the autumn, when schools went back and people went back to work and universities went back and the weather got worse and we went inside, so infections spiked.

"And I think this time round, we should learn from that and we should get infections low to a point where we we're in a much better place in the autumn, where we don't have to reimpose restrictions.

"So I think the real question is how can we do that without inconveniencing people too much?"

He said NHS Test and Trace was still not working properly or contacting people quickly enough, and pointed to the lack of support for people to self-isolate.

Edited by Elixir

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Yup, no mention whatsoever of not travelling without a ticket. 

Sadiq Khan among politicians to urge ticketless Scottish fans not to travel to London for Wembley clash

London mayor Sadiq Khan, sports minister Nigel Huddleston and the Scottish government have reminded Scotland fans without match tickets not to travel south for Friday's Euro 2020 match against England at Wembley.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan: "In an ideal world I would welcome the Tartan Army to London for this match with open arms - but with Covid cases increasing, and with so much at stake as we fight this awful virus, I'm afraid that it just cannot be this time"

Scottish culture minister Jenny Gilruth said: "I know for many of us EURO 2020 will be one of the highlights of the summer and an opportunity to support our national team. There will also be huge interest in the Scotland v England game at Wembley, but we must continue to be cautious - and I strongly urge fans to only travel if you have a ticket or a safe place to watch the match from."

You don't say, professor. titter.png

Posted at 11:04

Registering rapid results 'a bit of a faff', says expert

Copyright: PA Media

After the National Audit Office said last week that just 14% of lateral flow tests were being registered with NHS Test and Trace, an expert has said the process to input results is "a bit of a faff".

Jon Deeks, professor of biostatistics at the University of Birmingham, told Sky News a mix of uncertainty and reluctance to perform the tests themselves was having an impact.

"We don't have any collected data to see where these tests are - there were a lot of anecdotal reports saying that there are offices in schools which are full of them, and in other places.

"I suspect people are getting a bit fed up using them, certainly amongst people I talk to their compliance rate has gone down.

"The process of registering them... it's meant to be done but it's a little bit of a faff."

Read more about the different types of Covid tests and how they work here.

Breaking…..shocking news that 2000 cases have been linked to football matches including 397 who were inside Wembley (let’s ignore that they had to prove negative before they got in there so that’s a load of shite).

Let the gnashing of teeth and threats to football commence.

Alternative query, considering we’ve been around 2k cases a day for well over a week, how many of them were linked with places like schools?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57667163

Nearly 2,000 Covid cases in Scotland have been linked to people watching Euro 2020 football matches.

Public Health Scotland said two thirds of the 1,991 cases were people who travelled to London for Scotland's game with England on 18 June.

This included 397 fans who were inside Wembley for the match.

A relatively small number of cases reported attending the Fanzone in Glasgow, or Scotland's two home matches at Hampden.

Scotland had 2000 tickets for the game, nearly one in five of the fans who had tickets have subsequently caught Covid.

As has been said before, this site is a bubble.  A lot of people in Scotland will be absolutely raging at this.  

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Breaking…..shocking news that 2000 cases have been linked to football matches including 397 who were inside Wembley (let’s ignore that they had to prove negative before they got in there so that’s a load of shite).

Let the gnashing of teeth and threats to football commence.

Alternative query, considering we’ve been around 2k cases a day for well over a week, how many of them were linked with places like schools?

I agree but for Wembley the test had to be done within 48h of kick off, so it is possible some people contracted it in that time period. Still a load of nonsense anyway.

15 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Sadiq Khan among politicians to urge ticketless Scottish fans not to travel to London for Wembley clash

London mayor Sadiq Khan, sports minister Nigel Huddleston and the Scottish government have reminded Scotland fans without match tickets not to travel south for Friday's Euro 2020 match against England at Wembley.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan: "In an ideal world I would welcome the Tartan Army to London for this match with open arms - but with Covid cases increasing, and with so much at stake as we fight this awful virus, I'm afraid that it just cannot be this time"

Scottish culture minister Jenny Gilruth said: "I know for many of us EURO 2020 will be one of the highlights of the summer and an opportunity to support our national team. There will also be huge interest in the Scotland v England game at Wembley, but we must continue to be cautious - and I strongly urge fans to only travel if you have a ticket or a safe place to watch the match from."

I don’t know what you’re showing me? 

Gilruth  literally stated a ticket OR a safe place to watch the game. Absolutely nothing about only travelling if you have a ticket. Khan also said the exact same thing numerous times. 

Edited by No_Problemo