Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Speaking of down under...

They may have had it good, relatively speaking, but not a chance would I swap circumstances with them. We will be back to normal very soon. They'll be lucky to be fully back to normal this time next year, as they will need to open their borders and have an epidemic of some scale at some point, even if they can get utterly sky high vaccination rates.

And they're going to struggle to get vaccination rates anywhere near ours. The carrot of lifting restrictions has worked here, but as they've not had anything close to the impact on day-to-day life, it'll be a tougher ask to get folk taking the vaccine.

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has any expert said why cases are surging so much in Scotland now?  I’m kind of interested in why rates have absolutely skyrocketed. I saw chat that it was due to gatherings to watch out the football but not sure that really marries up perfectly. And would people not be gathering in England and Wales as well, why is the rise higher in Scotland?

Alcohol sales are 17% higher per capita here than in England and Wales so there's probably more 'gathering' happening here. Pubs shutting early probably doesn't help either as it'll just encourage people to party in houses.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Alcohol sales are 17% higher per capita here than in England and Wales so there's probably more 'gathering' happening here. Pubs shutting early probably doesn't help either as it'll just encourage people to party in houses.

I just don't buy any of that, London is one of the most densely populated City's in the world and they've been partying down there in their millions recently whether it be Horse racing, Tennis, Football, illegal raves, the tens of thousands of house parties or pumping your ministerial adviser up the back of your office.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure how the Scottish Covid app works, but I signed on to the Portuguese and Spanish ones when I was over there, and before ticking the final box was assured that they were entirely anonymous and if I came into contact with someone who was positive it would be entirely up to me whether I self isolated and got tested, though they obviously recommended that I did. Is it the same with the Scottish one? I have downloaded it btw, but ignored the blurb.

The English app is like this but it's stated that isolation is mandatory if you get flagged as a close contact. Testing is encouraged but not mandatory.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I just don't buy any of that, London is one of the most densely populated City's in the world and they've been partying down there in their millions recently whether it be Horse racing, Tennis, Football, illegal raves, the tens of thousands of house parties or pumping your ministerial adviser up the back of your office.

Scotland is just different. We can't have T In The Park because folk go insane with drink and drugs. The Arches got closed because teenagers kept on dropping dead. Our drugs deaths are by far the highest in Europe.

As a nation we love the sesh. 

Has any expert said why cases are surging so much in Scotland now?  I’m kind of interested in why rates have absolutely skyrocketed. I saw chat that it was due to gatherings to watch out the football but not sure that really marries up perfectly. And would people not be gathering in England and Wales as well, why is the rise higher in Scotland?
I kid you not but some experts are blaming the Fitbaw. Young men watching the Euros are a significant factor or words to that effect.

16 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:
2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I kid you not but some experts are blaming the Fitbaw. Young men watching the Euros are a significant factor or words to that effect.

One of the days that had a significant uptick in cases showed that the cases were mainly in the 18-44 age group and that they were heavily split towards men. That could indicate that football has had something to do with it. Of course, it’s hard to make concrete judgements based on initial figures etc. But it’s a possibiiity.

Its strange, Scotland is in the midst of the fastest Covid growth in Europe right now and no-one seems to wonder why it’s happening. Being a boring centrist dad I guess it’s probably a combination of many factors.

Edited by ICTChris

It doesn't make a huge difference and shouldn't slow down easing of restrictions but am a bit disappointed by the number of fully vaccinated people I know who have since caught covid and been unwell (just general flu type symptoms).

This sounds absolutely fine to me.

Some folk seem to have a weird mask fetish. You know the c***s who will never fail to tell you they were their mask, particularly outside. 

Wear it 24/7 in the home shagging your mrs if you want to, pal. No skin off my nose. 

45 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It doesn't make a huge difference and shouldn't slow down easing of restrictions but am a bit disappointed by the number of fully vaccinated people I know who have since caught covid and been unwell (just general flu type symptoms).

Pretty soon the only people catching, being hospitalised and dying from Covid, will be those fully vaccinated.

There's a reason for that.

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Some folk seem to have a weird mask fetish. You know the c***s who will never fail to tell you they were their mask, particularly outside. 

Wear it 24/7 in the home shagging your mrs if you want to, pal. No skin off my nose. 

Most are probably extremely ugly and/or have about eight chins.

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:
3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Maybe all the coughing they do whenever the commentators suggest England could win it. 😏

Andrew Marr caught covid in England, having travelled from England. Let's blame international travel! 

Let's just ignore the UK being the plague pit of Europe, the Delta variant being dominant here and there being no other such VaRiAnTs to be seen in other countries at the moment. Let's also ignore that covid cases were not exactly plentiful amongst the foreign delegations. Let us further ignore that cases across the whole of the UK have risen a shitload since the G7 summit as well. 

And also let's just ignore that Andrew Marr caught it whilst travelling in accordance with Indie Sage's own guidance! 

Let's also advocate pointless surge testing for a variant that is already dominant and therefore is not going to be stopped like the SA variant. 

Looks like this utter clownshoe has stepped up to be Indie SAGE's next media personality following Gurdasani's meltdown earlier. 

And in case anyone was wondering, here are her creds -  https://weareagenda.org/zubaida-haque/

Maybe she can use them and see how her beloved NPIs are exacerbating inequalities in the UK. 

Edited by Michael W