Coronavirus (COVID-19)

38 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’ve heard of 30-40 people from Perth testing positive after travelling to London.

Almost definitely explains our case increases.

Heard a number of people from Newtongrange who were in London have tested positive. Case numbers will rise in the coming days. 

29 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Has JL drowned in his tears from people travelling to london and case numbers rising yet?

Or Devi. 

8 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

….which is absolutely nothing to these numbers which are PCR tests but thanks for playing.

Well it will clearly be impacting the numbers as every positive LFT is to be followed up by a PCR test. So widespread LFT will result in more positive PCR tests.

I've flown from Aberdeen to Manchester. it was a lot quicker than taking the train. Anybody that's taken a train journey anywhere north of the central belt will understand why you'd take a flight. I can grow a beard in the time it takes to get from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.

Pretty sure Shay Logan was a regular on that flight as well

1 hour ago, D.V.T. said:

What’s with the massive spike in the last couple of days? Nice to the see the hospital number stalling.

Exponential growth. 

It isn't translating into hospital numbers though, which is the main point.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Flights from Scotland to Manchester should be banned on account of it being fucking stupid when there's a train.

Although I agree on your sentiment there may be a good reason for EasyJet to star this flight in that it will get crew and aircraft back to flight standards, I wouldn’t be surprised if once everything has calmed down the flight will be dropped.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Still get the knee-jerk "oh no" feeling when I see the cases and positivity. This is a Pavlov's Dog reflex to the last 15 months when rising cases always meant bad news. Then you read down...and it isn't all that bad. 

Well yes but the cases and hospital numbers for the same day aren't linked. The hospital numbers relate to the cases from 10-14 days ago when we had a case rate of ~850-950, not 2k.

We've got about 40 more in hospital than a week ago. If you go 17-21 days back from today you can see the case rate is 7-800.

So the rise in hospital numbers from this week's 2k cases is still to come, the question is just how big an increase it'll be. (insert the "wait five days" bunny here)

Slightly surprised so many people have so quickly felt symptoms, went to get tested and had result back so soon after London?

Purely anecdotally from people I know who’ve tested positive recently it seems that the delta variant shows up a lot quicker than previous ones which I guess accounts for how quickly it spreads if it takes less time to accumulate shedable virus compared to the OG strains.

5 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Slightly surprised so many people have so quickly felt symptoms, went to get tested and had result back so soon after London?

I think a lot of people would be looking at taking the test as a way of getting another couple of days off work to recover or bevvy for the Croatia game. 

19 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I've flown from Aberdeen to Manchester. it was a lot quicker than taking the train. Anybody that's taken a train journey anywhere north of the central belt will understand why you'd take a flight. I can grow a beard in the time it takes to get from Aberdeen to Edinburgh.

Pretty sure Shay Logan was a regular on that flight as well

Likewise I quite often fly from Inverness to Birmingham or Manchester, mad flying there from Edinburgh or Glasgow though. Just booked a new Easyjet flight from Inverness to Newquay in Cornwall for around £50 return, train takes 20 hours and the cheapest I could see was £279.

17 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Well yes but the cases and hospital numbers for the same day aren't linked. The hospital numbers relate to the cases from 10-14 days ago when we had a case rate of ~850-950, not 2k.

We've got about 40 more in hospital than a week ago. If you go 17-21 days back from today you can see the case rate is 7-800.

So the rise in hospital numbers from this week's 2k cases is still to come, the question is just how big an increase it'll be. (insert the "wait five days" bunny here)

Aye i mean thats fair enough, but you’ve also got to consider that the threshold for admitting people to hospital has also lowered too. 

I wonder how long it will take the roasters on here to pivot from “we’re not seeing hospitalisation/death rates increase” to “hospitalisation/death rates are increasing but they’re at an acceptable level and not nearly as bad as before”.

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Flights from Scotland to Manchester should be banned on account of it being fucking stupid when there's a train.

Can't speak for Manchester but I used to fly regularly for work from Glasgow to Birmingham despite there being a train.

The bottom line was that the flights were much cheaper than the train and it was a 40 minute flight versus a 4 and a half hour train journey so basically a no brainer, especially if you were heading to the NEC.

34 minutes ago, renton said:

Exponential growth. 

Was exponential growth discovered in the past week?

I suspect that TA fanboys traipsing down to London to, erm, not go to a game are going to get Scottish football buried under club-killing restrictions. The optics of this are disastrous.