Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

No your ICU is right, it's down by 3 I cocked that up

No worries. I had a 3 and a half hour Teams meeting this morning that has turned my brain to mince. Hence why I am posting nonsense here instead of tackling a pile of marking. Don't think I'd do the students justice today. 

Just now, scottsdad said:

No worries. I had a 3 and a half hour Teams meeting this morning that has turned my brain to mince. Hence why I am posting nonsense here instead of tackling a pile of marking. Don't think I'd do the students justice today. 

I feel your pain. I am trying to convert a monthly report I've been doing for years into a new online reporting portal and practically none of the fields I need are available so having a back and forth with IT in america.

36 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

1,317 new cases of COVID-19 reported
30,990 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
4.6% of these were positive
4 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
12 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
140 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
3,571,726 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 2,516,066 have received their second dose

If 1,317 cases per day was replicated for a week we would be riding at 170 per 100K.   Does seem weird compare to Spain the 2nd worst in Europe at 72.8

Case numbers relevant or not we are currently a cesspit compared to the rest of Europe.

Germany 84 Million Pop & Italy 60 Million Pop having less daily cases.

Edited by superbigal

So 12 (twelve) oldies/fatties in ICU and 4 (four) deaths of folk who are probably about 95, in a population of ~5.4 million.

Awesome stuff. Protect the NHS, save lives. xx

Good to see Glasgow cementing a mid table place after leading the viral leaderboard for so long.

From an epidemiological and public health view, there's got to be some interesting investigations into why Scotland, and the UK as a whole, seemed to be so susceptible to higher rates of transmission and, separately, higher rates of death.  Although, I suspect the second could be simply explained by us having one of the highest rates of obesity and one of the highest population sizes of over 65s.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

So 12 (twelve) oldies/fatties in ICU and 4 (four) deaths of folk who are probably about 95, in a population of ~5.4 million.

I get being angry about restrictions but this is a really shitty way to speak about people actually dying or struggling to breathe in a hospital

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

wE jUsT dOn'T kNoW 😭😭

Screenshot_20210617-144615_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210617-144848_Opera.jpg

Oaft, I don't think there can be a more stark illustration than that first graph. Just shows this is absolutely finished for good as soon as all age groups are fully vaxxed.

6 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

I get being angry about restrictions but this is a really shitty way to speak about people actually dying or struggling to breathe in a hospital

jose.png

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Interesting paper of out Iceland claiming that vaccinating in ascending age or randomly would have prevented more infections than vaccinating in order of descending age. Largely because it's the asymptomatic young-uns who do most of the spreading.

You know, I wondered at that a while back - all the vulnerable were already shut away either at home or in controlled environments, and the "key workers" (which apparently covers everything from A&E staff to Deliveroo bikers) were the ones out and about and mingling on a daily basis. It just seemed so obvious I assumed I was missing something - I mean, surely SAGE, Whitty and vallance, Leitch, The Tory Government must have had a look at this, yeah?

Would it not have been a better idea to tip up at, well, the tip and vaccinate refuse workers? Descend upon Tesco's, Asda's and Waitrose's and, after relieving them of superfluous letters and punctuation, given them all a damn' good jagging?: Stab the teachers, the coppers, even the screws?

47 minutes ago, superbigal said:

If 1,317 cases per day was replicated for a week we would be riding at 170 per 100K.   Does seem weird compare to Spain the 2nd worst in Europe at 72.8

Case numbers relevant or not we are currently a cesspit compared to the rest of Europe.

If anything it just shows that harsher/more restrictions doesn’t = less cases.

Scotland has and has had tougher restrictions than England (even now with things like pub curfews and no large events trials) yet here we are with by far the highest case rate in Europe.

Tbh it’s a very odd situation given the success of our vaccine rollout.

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

Scotland has and has had tougher restrictions than England (even now with things like pub curfews and no large events trials) yet here we are with by far the highest case rate in Europe.

I think part of it is that we were hit less hard in earlier lockdowns. As such we have less natural immunity in younger folks and they're now catching it (albeit not getting ill, having symptoms, etc)

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The first part has been obvious for a while, but won't be acknowledged as it highlights that, contrary to what they want to portray, they actually can't control the spread of a virus by picking and chosing what activities to allow and disallow.

It's not that odd when you consider the age group currently providing the vast majority of the cases is the same age group most likely to be out working and mixing in general.

The success of our vaccine rollout should be measured in serious hospitalisations and deaths only, and in that regard it has done very well indeed.

It's actually embarassing for them that they are worrying about cases now.

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The first part has been obvious for a while, but won't be acknowledged as it highlights that, contrary to what they want to portray, they actually can't control the spread of a virus by picking and chosing what activities to allow and disallow.

It's not that odd when you consider the age group currently providing the vast majority of the cases is the same age group most likely to be out working and mixing in general.

The success of our vaccine rollout should be measured in serious hospitalisations and deaths only, and in that regard it has done very well indeed.

It's actually embarassing for them that they are worrying about cases now.

They don't know what to worry about, they just know that they best be worried about something

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Are these countries testing as much as us though?

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Jesus f**k. This could actively prevent folk getting vaccinated.

I bloody love Little Shop of Horrors*, but that has ruined any enjoyment I’ll ever have from it in future.

* one of only two musicals I will tolerate, the other being Beauty and the Beast. 

Edited by Munter

11 minutes ago, Munter said:

I bloody love Little Shop of Horrors*, but that has ruined any enjoyment I’ll ever have from it in future.

* one of only two musicals I will tolerate, the other being Beauty and the Beast. 

^^^ (beauty and the) beast thread for this. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod