Coronavirus (COVID-19)

35 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

We have got a wedding next week in England. Postponed from just before lockdown so no restrictions now in terms of numbers. Apparently social distancing must be adhered to and masks worn when not at tables. Looking forward to see someone pathetically trying to enforce social distancing.

But social distancing will presumably impact upon the amount of people allowed to attend?

The news re weddings yesterday isn't quite what it's being portrayed as.

They already have. The Delta variant is everywhere, despite forcing people to pay £1750 to stay in a hotel for 11 days  in order to stop the Delta variant circulating. I don't understand why more people aren't angrier about the failure of hotel quarantining. 

The UK border policy has been completely pointless since January. Thousands of people came in from India when the Delta variant was known about, and they didn’t have to quarantine in a hotel because Boris wanted a photo opportunity in India. They’ll make a big deal about PHE not calling it a ‘variant of concern’ until late April but they red-listed neighbouring countries in early April, and any other country with Covid rates like India was red-listed well before. It was a deliberate choice so Johnson could play at Empire.

We’ve been denied holidays and foreign travel - it was literally illegal - for six months now, all to stop variants coming into the country. A new variant now accounts for 95% of cases in the country. This is 100% the fault of Boris Johnson and the UK Government, no ifs or buts.

It shouldn’t surprise me, but it does, that they appear to be getting next to no heat for this aside from people who hate them anyway. Johnson’s choices mean businesses have to stay closed and operate at lower capacities for at least an extra four weeks, and even at that the new July 19th date will not be what June 21st was meant to be, or would’ve been if the border policy was effective. The national reaction to that appears to be a shrug. I don’t understand it at all.

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

The national reaction to that appears to be a shrug. I don’t understand it at all.

What are you expecting?

The government have literally made protests illegal, an attempt at one in England a few days ago saw the police threatening anyone who gathered with jail because it would be a non-socially distanced crowd of over 30 people 😂

The media have no interest in creating a fuss either. You'll get one or two who try, but most know that bad news gathers more clicks than opinion pieces.

It would take a massive scale, organised, protest in multiple cities at once to do anything. The best chance is small business owners coming together to do that, but most are currently busy trying to find the money to keep going.

20 minutes ago, Steven W said:

But social distancing will presumably impact upon the amount of people allowed to attend?

The news re weddings yesterday isn't quite what it's being portrayed as.

I think their numbers were over the previous limit but not much more so I think social distancing won't limit numbers. However, yes there's a limit on singing and dancing - necessitating the couple being told they can play music, but only quietly. 

11 hours ago, Rugster said:

I’ve asked this a number of times and not had an answer, but can anyone actually tell me, tin foil hatters aside ( that means you detournement) a Bona fide reason why the government would actually want to keep restrictions in place for longer than necessary in their mind, given the damage it is doing to all sorts of areas? 

People like leitch are definitely determined to drag this out for as long as possible . End to this sends them back to being a nobody. 

A timeline for during the pandemic in Scotland for anyone interested.
https://spice-spotlight.scot/2021/06/11/timeline-of-coronavirus-covid-19-in-scotland/
This timeline focuses on Scotland’s response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and includes all major developments. Each entry includes a link to further information and/or relevant official reports, policies and guidance.
Good to see the crayons back, lad.[emoji106]

Anyone kidding on they are listening to these advisors and living to their rules  is either doing it for politically motivated reasons or is a fanny. As I said yesterday I was in a boozer for the game with no one following any guidlines except probably washing their hands after a pish, place was well over capacity, no polis chapping the door or Helen Lovejoy types protesting outside. The govt have to protect their own back so they have to take a doom and gloom approach with their messaging but they know adhering to the rules has been pretty much binned by the public outside of wearing a mask on transport or in shops. I feel for businesses who are getting it tight but kidding on we are in lockdown or under some sort of forced restrictions is on the individual not the general public now. 

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

They got so much wrong at the start with care homes etc and are now absolutely terrified to believe that the vaccines are cigaring the virus and pandering to Baul, Leitch and Devi. 
Dont think anyone’s suggesting that NS is sitting at home delighted everyone’s life is fucked, but most here at least suggesting that they are absolutely too slow to move and constantly looking for the negative in every development. 

The biggest problem with Sturgeon and the SNP is that they will not accept criticism. They are all told to sing from the same song sheet and it is very rarely that you hear of any internal dissent.

You only have to watch FMQ to see this in action. Any question Sturgeon is asked is treated with contempt, as if someone has the audacity to question her actions and she has now gone back to her stupid habit of inserting her silly little laugh in the middle of the answer as if the question is below contempt.

She thinks she is in total control here and will not be questioned or judged.

2 minutes ago, Elric said:

The biggest problem with Sturgeon and the SNP is that they will not accept criticism. They are all told to sing from the same song sheet and it is very rarely that you hear of any internal dissent.

You only have to watch FMQ to see this in action. Any question Sturgeon is asked is treated with contempt, as if someone has the audacity to question her actions and she has now gone back to her stupid habit of inserting her silly little laugh in the middle of the answer as if the question is below contempt.

She thinks she is in total control here and will not be questioned or judged.

image.jpeg.d290f31978ffe5c8b168560c085c450d.jpeg

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What are you expecting?

The government have literally made protests illegal, an attempt at one in England a few days ago saw the police threatening anyone who gathered with jail because it would be a non-socially distanced crowd of over 30 people 😂

The media have no interest in creating a fuss either. You'll get one or two who try, but most know that bad news gathers more clicks than opinion pieces.

It would take a massive scale, organised, protest in multiple cities at once to do anything. The best chance is small business owners coming together to do that, but most are currently busy trying to find the money to keep going.

Much of the left are still in full on adult nappy mode about COVID because it gives them a chance to show that they care more than those who aren’t.

Their only issue is that Boris didn’t act earlier with things like the Indian red listing etc.

That 10 weeks chat has had two impacts on me. Firstly it's put the lingering feeling of misery that followed me about for most of the past year back into the back of my mind. The feeling of dread waiting on an update from the Government on what you can't do now. And that's exhausting. 

But secondly it's made me feel far more determined to just live my life and ignore the rules. To be perfectly honest, at the moment, I've no idea what the rules even are. Other than restricted crowds at sporting events and masks in supermarkets. They became ridiculous contradictory nonsense a long time ago. 

With almost everyone in vulnerable groups vaccinated, four deaths of people for any reason at all who have tested positive within 28 days reported last week and hospital numbers lower than a small junior game I fail to see the point in any of this. It's panic led dithering from a government paralysed by fear and too scared to make a decision listening to oddballs determined to further their own time in the limelight.

Furlough ending will be the only thing that takes Scotland out of lockdown. I honestly believe that.

It's fine to ignore the rules, but it's the things you can't control that are fucking folk.

I've not been able to get a doctors appointment for 2 weeks, and if I do it'll be an over the phone appointment despite it being something a doctor needs to see.

I'm not anticipating it being anything serious, but there's absolutely plenty of folk with major issues who aren't getting seen in time because of this.

Guest Bob Mahelp
57 minutes ago, Paco said:

It shouldn’t surprise me, but it does, that they appear to be getting next to no heat for this aside from people who hate them anyway. Johnson’s choices mean businesses have to stay closed and operate at lower capacities for at least an extra four weeks, and even at that the new July 19th date will not be what June 21st was meant to be, or would’ve been if the border policy was effective. The national reaction to that appears to be a shrug. I don’t understand it at all.

One of the reasons is the generally easy ride Johnson gets from the right wing press. There's no co-ordinated or daily attacks on him in the same way there was against Sturgeon and the SNP over the Salmond affair.  The only paper that even attempts to disect the Tory f**k ups is The Guardian, and ironically they are very pro-lockdown and have a bizarre way of reporting the pandemic. 

Another reason is the pathetic opposition in Labour, which seems to exist to rubber stamp Tory decisions. For 5 years now they've let the Tories have free reign, and nothing seems to be changing. 

The main reason I suspect though is that many people are in the mindset that no matter what happens, it's a pandemic and there's nothing else the government can do. They're doing they're best to keep us all safe, aren't they ? 

As I've said before on India, the variant wasn't a variant of concern until long after it was red listed. Yes cases were rising there at the time, but the overall level of cases were lower than much of Europe once you factored in population. If we're going to red list countries every time there's a variant then we might as well shut over travel industry down now and drop the pretence. 

Vaccination rates in countries are supposed to be a factor as well in red list decisions. I've no idea if rates in India were much higher than other countries that were red listed prior to Indian's red listing. There are of course clear political aims at play too. 

There are also rather a lot of Indians or people of Indian descent that are British nationals and/or residents. It's not like those that did come back here didn't have good reason, much as the 'stop the flights!!!' moaners might like to pretend otherwise. They'd just come via Qatar or Frankfurt instead if we had done so, of course. And, crucially, every single one of them presented a negative test before being allowed into the UK. That 4% of them subsequently tested positive after arrival is something worthy of investigation. I imagine it gives fuel to those that want arrivals punted into quarantine in all cases, which isn't all that effective either - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-57425917

Now of course that variant is here and is now dominant. But, really - so what? We've reopened a bit and expected cases and hospitalisations to rise, which they have. Hospitalisations aren't rising at the same rate as cases because we have effictive vaccines and more than 40% of the population is fully vaccinated. They are being demonstrated in real time to be effective. They work against this variant. In which case, we really should be able to just deal with this now, including variants. There is no reason people shouldn't be allowed quarantine free travel to Europe at least -  If you do get Covid there you'll only get the Kent variant and not the oh so terrible one we're now wringing our hands about. 

The issue we have here is that the UK government went all in on VaRiAnTs when things kicked off last year, in particular suddenly unveiling the Kent variant when cases got to high levels despite it comprising c25% of all cases in areas of England as early as September. They did this to cover their arses for a series of abject failures with the tiers and embarrassing battles with glorified transport transport commissioners like Sadiq Khan and Andy Burnham, which they came out of looking fucking daft despite Manchester and London leading the infection charts. They are therefore keeping up appearances about variants by casting doom on them any time one appears, not to mention the reprehensible Portugal amber listing on the flimsiest of excuses. 

The vaccines work against these variants. Drop the pretence and stop elevating them to some sort of danger status that they don't deserve. It is a pathetic excuse from the government and no more. 

Edited by Michael W

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's fine to ignore the rules, but it's the things you can't control that are fucking folk.

I've not been able to get a doctors appointment for 2 weeks, and if I do it'll be an over the phone appointment despite it being something a doctor needs to see.

I'm not anticipating it being anything serious, but there's absolutely plenty of folk with major issues who aren't getting seen in time because of this.

'The rules' are not preventing GPs from seeing patients. 

38 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That 10 weeks chat has had two impacts on me. Firstly it's put the lingering feeling of misery that followed me about for most of the past year back into the back of my mind. The feeling of dread waiting on an update from the Government on what you can't do now. And that's exhausting.

This is me exactly.

My mental (and physical) health has taken an absolute shoeing over the past year. I'm now double-jagged, most of my mates are now jagged at least once (and will be double-jagged over the next few weeks). I was looking forward to being able to go to the football and spontaneously decide to go for a game of pool or a few pints.

Another ten weeks? Over summer? I don't think I can take much more.