Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The problem for pubs and restaurants isnt just the restrictions they are operating under directly. Its the fact that the longer this goes on, more and more people will go less and less with a huge number just not bothering anymore. The amount of folk who have come to a realisation about how much money can be saved this way will be enormous

I think this could be in part be generational, older people who have their own place will be happy to have pints at home especially with the working man's kettle and such providing a perfect pint.

Whereas young people, that I know and I myself, are making up for lost time I have been out more in the easements than I would have done pre Pandemic.

Depending on how long the spell of making up for lost time lasts then it could be a culture change or just a flash in the pan.

The Theresa May speech is a strange one. I agree completely with what she says but it says a lot about politicians that if she were Prime Minister we'd probably still be in the exact situation we are now.

Linda Bauld saying that level 0 can’t go ahead on the 28th as ‘some young people’ may end up in hospital and ‘1 in 10’ are at risk of long covid.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19369046.covid-euro-2020-house-gatherings-fears-expert-warns-tough-lockdown-return/?fbclid=IwAR1wKQHvPkqr74xb-o0PtyQTLNghiMGIfmdtacsfyIKpMrF3p_4_21aMoIk

My mate is doing vaccines today in Forth Valley.
Only 300 booked in all day for 11 vaccinators.  Under 25s who randomly turn up to be refused.
Yesterday there was a 55pct no show.
Mental.
Alloa college was pretty quiet when I was there. I literally walked in, straight to a chair and jagged. That was at 1130 on a Saturday. If it wasnt for the 15 min wait after getting it, id have been in and out in less than 5 mins.

Not ideal for a Saturday id say.

I cant keep up with what groups are offcially being done anymore, it seems to have sort of just opened out a bit now, but are there uptake stats avaipable for the younger age groups kicking about?

26 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I was having a conversation with my colleague about this  last week.  The same time wasting drug seeking wasters on the list day after day with made up shit taking away appointments from those who actually need it.  It's infuriating and it blocks patients who actually need seen and investigated from getting the treatment they need.

I actually had a clown last week that was genuinely raging that their scans and bloods (which weren't merited in the first place) were as clear as a bell.  What's wrong with me then, er nothing funnily enough.  See you next week for more frivilous pish.   

I think you need a hug Tynie.

I had a Chest x-ray & stomach and liver ultrasounds 2 weeks ago because of suspected cancer due to continual vomiting & a persistent cough since January, I got the all clear & pretty much danced out of my GP Surgery as I am all clear, I couldn't care less that they have no idea why it is happening as it is clear it is nothing serious.

14 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Only 300 booked in all day for 11 vaccinators.  Under 25s who randomly turn up to be refused.

Mental.

I’m 41 and in Ayrshire. Not a sign of a first appointment never mind a second jag. 

I was in Stornoway recently and all I had to to get first jag was get a temporary registration with a local GP and then I was give a slot to turn up at the Caber Feidh hotel and get jagged. 

I would happily turn up at the Galleon centre in Kilmarnock today and get 2nd jag but they aren’t interested.

Mental.

Is it possible the no-shows is because we’re at the age group of morons who believe conspiracy theories? That’s been my concern the further down the age groups they go.

Is it possible the no-shows is because we’re at the age group of morons who believe conspiracy theories? That’s been my concern the further down the age groups they go.
I would suspect the main reason there may be no shows is that younger people are more mobile so blue letters may have gone to addresses they no longer live at.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The mood music is not good this morning for those of us who want a normal life back.

The Telegraph ....a paper I hate quoting, but one that does have links to the Tory government .....is reporting that if lockdown is not totally lifted within a relatively short window this summer, then it's very likely that we'll be under some kind of restrictions into next spring and beyond. 

And given that the Scottish government is instinctively more cautious than Westminster, this would seem to spell disaster for anyone desperate for true 'freedom'. 

At the same time, Europe and the USA...countries not riddled with the delta variant because they don't have leaders desperate for a trade deal with India, and had already banned flights from there at the same time that we were allowing 110 per week to come in.....are removing restrictions and opening up travel. 

The feeling that this nightmare is never going to end is overwhelming. 

I don’t get why next spring is mentioned. Surely by that reasoning they’re basically saying vaccines are a token gesture and it’s really just a seasonal problem like the cold/flu. That’s the way they’re making it seem. By Sept there should be no restrictions anywhere at the very latest. Hanging on for every last healthy adult to be vaccinated twice is a shocker. We should have been back to normality when the elderly and vulnerable were double dosed and not a day later

I would suspect the main reason there may be no shows is that younger people are more mobile so blue letters may have gone to addresses they no longer live at.

There is that too.
I’m maybe over estimating the number of moon howlers out there.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Disagree, the vaccine center in Dunfermline was mobbed last night, the woman who went through the questions with me said they were using almost all the vaccines which is good.

It was mainly folk under 30 there when I was there as well so doubt conspiracy believers is linked to age.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Mental.

The government should have made it clear that people could opt-out on the letters they sent out. It might have encouraged more people to cancel appointments rather than just not bother turning up.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Is it possible the no-shows is because we’re at the age group of morons who believe conspiracy theories? 

It might be because the lower age groups look at the odds of being hospitalised, and of dying, and decide not to bother getting vaccinated.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Did anyone see Theresa May’s speech in the Commons on Covid? She’s been reading this thread IMO.

Yup - she nailed it, tbf.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The mood music is not good this morning for those of us who want a normal life back.

The Telegraph ....a paper I hate quoting, but one that does have links to the Tory government .....is reporting that if lockdown is not totally lifted within a relatively short window this summer, then it's very likely that we'll be under some kind of restrictions into next spring and beyond. 

And given that the Scottish government is instinctively more cautious than Westminster, this would seem to spell disaster for anyone desperate for true 'freedom'. 

At the same time, Europe and the USA...countries not riddled with the delta variant because they don't have leaders desperate for a trade deal with India, and had already banned flights from there at the same time that we were allowing 110 per week to come in.....are removing restrictions and opening up travel. 

The feeling that this nightmare is never going to end is overwhelming. 

I know it can sometimes feel that way, and I read that article, but I felt it was shit-stirring/trying to pressure the Government into opening up as soon as possible.

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Yup - she nailed it, tbf.

I know it can sometimes feel that way, and I read that article, but I felt it was shit-stirring/trying to pressure the Government into opening up as soon as possible.

Yes, read that too.

Maybe they’re trying to get us to expect the worst so that what they do announce doesn’t sound too bad.

A well tried manoeuvre.

10 minutes ago, Johnny van Axeldongen said:

The government should have made it clear that people could opt-out on the letters they sent out. It might have encouraged more people to cancel appointments rather than just not bother turning up.

I'm not convinced that would have made a huge difference. People will always take the path of least resistance.

14 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yes, read that too.

Maybe they’re trying to get us to expect the worst so that what they do announce doesn’t sound too bad.

A well tried manoeuvre.

I could potentially live with this 4 week extension so long as they committed to this being the absolute end, no more legal restrictions, no masks unless you’ve got the sniffles yourself, full opening of international travel to all green and amber countries (i can genuinely live with the idea of red lists where justified for another 6 months, its relatively reasonable) with no testing for vaccinated folks. 
if they do that and fully open up then it’d soften the blow, but anything else is entirely unacceptable. 

We need acceleration, not delays.  

Have they looked at the numbers of deaths?  We are absolutely smashing it.   We should at minimum be dropping a level in a week.    We are halfway through the ‘wait 2 weeks’ and current signs are we are comfortably handling the current situation.    Next few days looking similar should be enough to make further relaxations.

The Telegraph report is probably correct. If we don't get the restrictions binned soon we won't get them gone this year. 

Bear in mind that the Coronavirus Act expires at the end of September and needs renewed. Just as flu season approaches and the time for another airing of we just don't know!  Following that another round of emotional blackmail about are wonderful NHS will ensue and that'll probably be it. 

The stubborn refusal to open international travel says a lot about the government's attitude to reopening. We are again approaching the level where the UK has the highest level of infection in Europe and yet we're pontificating with these de facto bans and detterants because of non-existent variants. We even removed Portugal from the green list (which still requires PCRs before travel and before arrival in the UK even if you're fully vaccinated) under dubious pretences. 

They have also completely hanged themselves with their knickerwetting about variants. Totally overplayed them and are now in arse covering mode since one of them is now dominant here. The vaccines are still effective against them yet they remain silent on this.