Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Graduation should be exclusively for university when you actually achieve something, not something I have experienced but for weans to graduate nursery for their parents paying vast sums is mental.

No memory of leaving nursery, but I remember an assembly at the end of P7 where we were wished luck.

At the end of 6th year there was an assembly again where there was a ceremony of sorts but was more a case of enjoy your life and don’t mess up.

Update on your holiday to Thailand.....
  1. 2 doses required, however the vaccine has to be on the Thai Government list or the WHO list
  2. 14 days quarantine required, again a change here.  You don't need to stay in your hotel, you can go outside
  3. You must stay in a government listed hotel
  4. Report to health at any given time
  5. Wear a mask at all times
  6. Temperature check everywhere you go. 
  7. Download the app
  8. If you want to leave the island after your 14 days, you must take a test on day 5 and 12 to get the clear.
  9. You may then have to quarantine at your next destination.
  10. Oh and just to mention, you can't buy alcohol at a restaurant or bar, you can sit in your room and drink if you want.
  11. These measures are until 1st Oct, where we maybe open up to other provinces named yesterday, if this is a success.  
Enjoy your stay, tomorrow we will update the changes we decided today.
No Update from me,
Still Phukthat

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Only people who achieved equal to or more than me educationally should be allowed to have any sort of ceremony.

As I said, my son has just had his graduation ceremony from Primary 4.  

12 hours ago, Michael W said:

I am sure if we had banned all non-British nationals from entering the UK that the likes of Marina would (rightly) be seething at what we are doing and calling it racist. Yet, here we are seeing someone who thinks that British residents shouldn't be allowed back in to the country. 

I'd also like to know how many people flew into the UK between January and April 2019 so we can compare it to that 1.59 million that the Lovejoys keep crying about. I'll bet its a massive deduction. 

You listen to these people and get the impression that the entire world is taking the piss out of us and coming here for a nice wee holiday. It isn't the case at all. The journey from open border liberalism to border fetishists has been quite the eye-opener. They are basically now the da types that shared memes about Australia's border policy towards asylum seekers and Tony Abbott quotes on Facebook a decade ago.

Remember the outrage from The Guardian and their fluffers last year about the outrage over human rights abuses due to the Wuhan lockdown, Trump calling it the China Virus, outrage over the early closure of borders in places, etc. And yet all this has now been normalised because 'public health'.

While not directly comparing, before anyone starts, I did used to always wonder things like how it was actually possible for the Nazi's to do what they did, and how life under the Iron Curtain was the way it was, etc. This whole sorry episode, however, has truly been eye-opening in terms of how people can just abandon all principles and do what they are told without question.

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Update on your holiday to Thailand.....

1. 2 doses required, however the vaccine has to be on the Thai Government list or the WHO list
  2. 14 days quarantine required, again a change here.  You don't need to stay in your hotel, you can go outside
  3. You must stay in a government listed hotel
  4. Report to health at any given time
  5. Wear a mask at all times
  6. Temperature check everywhere you go. 
  7. Download the app
  8. If you want to leave the island after your 14 days, you must take a test on day 5 and 12 to get the clear.
  9. You may then have to quarantine at your next destination.
  10. Oh and just to mention, you can't buy alcohol at a restaurant or bar, you can sit in your room and drink if you want.
  11. These measures are until 1st Oct, where we maybe open up to other provinces named yesterday, if this is a success.  

Enjoy your stay, tomorrow we will update the changes we decided today.

Please excuse my ignorance, but for a country like Thailand that is already largely impoverished and where the economy is essentially tourism, this is clearly not sustainable - so what will actually prevent the country from imploding if this continues?

Among the waffle on the news this morning, some sense among it:

Posted at 8:40

'Difficult to justify' adding more transmission risk

8016b458-9b55-4fc1-956a-a74580075f20.jpg

Today Programme

BBC Radio 4

We have a little bit more from Dr Adam Kucharski - the epidemiologist who's been talking to Radio 4.

Asked about the planned 21 June unlocking in England, he says: "I think we have to accept the equation has changed here - we are not facing the virus that we were facing two months ago.

"If we were facing the B.117 (Kent) variant as the dominant one, the fact it (the vaccines) is working very well, case numbers are coming down nicely, we could have some more confidence that there could be reopening without seeing those surges.

"But we're not. Everyone is tired of this pandemic, they want this transition back to normality and that will happen, the effectiveness of two doses of the vaccine will eventually get us there.

"But if say in two weeks we're in a situation where hospitalisations have been rising, where local health systems are coming under pressure, I think it will be quite difficult to justify adding more transmission to that kind of situation."

Posted at 9:01

Numbers in hospital with Delta variant rising - but not significantly

31284917-c2ae-43a2-8f1a-5836605ac924.jpg

BBC Breakfast

NHS Providers boss Chris Hopson also tells BBC Breakfast the number of people in hospital with the Delta coronavirus variant first identified in India is increasing - but not "very significantly" at the moment.

He says the infection rates have been "increasing in a number of areas" - but that in areas at the front of this wave, like Bolton, community rates are now starting to decline.

He says this is "like an early experiment" showing what it is like to get to that level of infection in the community - and that it shows the vaccines have broken the chain between catching coronavirus and getting seriously ill, or dying.

There were very, very few people who had the protection of both vaccine doses seen in hospital, he told BBC Breakfast.

So again, once we get to Israeli levels of full vaccination, indeed the UK will get even higher levels of coverage, this will truly be over and there will he nowhere for anyone to hide any longer. Sadly we're still ~30% behind Israel in terms of second doses dished out and time given for peak immune response to build.

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but for a country like Thailand that is already largely impoverished and where the economy is essentially tourism, this is clearly not sustainable - so what will actually prevent the country from imploding if this continues?

Thailand have the army in charge all but in name for the last 7 years.  They, are very xenophobic and very amateurish to say the least.  They don't have a fucking clue what their doing on most things, never mind Covid.  

The country has been imploding for about 20 years with on going political difference, resulting in the last year that the main opposition party being thrown out of parliament and then disbanded, anyone speaking out gets thrown in prison.  But never mind, there is lots of money in Thailand, it all about who keeps it. Welcome to South East Asia or neighbours are much the same.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

My son's school have a ceremony every year, takes a good few hours to cover all the school.  This year, my son got his certificate and a "special award" for good attendance  - we've been doing home schooling for a year now FFS.  And he's fallen asleep in the lessons a good few times that I'm aware of!  

Load of pish.  (I've still framed all the certificates and put them up in the bedroom like any proud parent would though)

They're a load of bollocks for primary school.