Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Get it fucking right up you Devi and Clownshoes. 20367CAF-09DC-4871-AE8F-065809C96714.png.62eadb6f998122843e2ee2ef12abb73e.png

You're not meant to link to that account, mate. It's misleading.

Thinking sadly about the dichotomy of Elixir: he's really wanting all this Covid nonsense to go away, while simultaneously loving the P&B Covid thread more than his own family. 
In fairness, value for money wise, this thread has been the best on this site ever IMO.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, SEETHING said:
Thinking sadly about the dichotomy of Elixir: he's really wanting all this Covid nonsense to go away, while simultaneously loving the P&B Covid thread more than his own family. 

In fairness, value for money wise, this thread has been the best on this site ever IMO.

^^^ didn't read the Hearts juggernaut thread(s) imo

13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The massive rises are obviously as a result of the surge testing, they’ve launched it in Renfrewshire and obviously cases have gone up. Ive no interest in spending my time off getting a swab fired up my nose. Obviously there will be a massive amount of these cases asymptomatic, doesnt really solve any problems. 

Yup, there is a pop-up test centre between Foxbar and Glenburn areas of Paisley as there are apparently rises in the areas and all residents are being asked to get tested.

Seriously tempted by some cheap flights to Florida via Heathrow around September and October, got family over there so its not just a jolly. I can work from home on my return if required, has anyone got travel industry knowledge or any inclinations as to the possiblity of less regulated foreign later this year?

22 minutes ago, ddfg said:

Seriously tempted by some cheap flights to Florida via Heathrow around September and October, got family over there so its not just a jolly. I can work from home on my return if required, has anyone got travel industry knowledge or any inclinations as to the possiblity of less regulated foreign later this year?

I genuinely dont think it’ll be on the amber list in September. 

34 minutes ago, ddfg said:

Even if travel is allowed from the UK (e.g. Amber or even Green list) , it's a no-go unless Biden removes the UK from America's banned list. Unless you're a US citizen or a permenant resident, you won't get in if you've been in the UK in the last 14 days. 

I'd make sure it's either refundable or that you're comfortable with a voucher if the flight goes ahead and you are unable to travel. BA's policy was that they'd give you a voucher if you wanted to cancel for any reason, but I don't know if it's still in effect. Obviously if they cancel then you'll get a refund. 

Also consider entry points. Whilst some travel is permissible if you've been in the UK as outlined above, there are only certain points of entry allowed and I think Miami is one of them. Orlando/Tampa are not so there's a higher liklihood of cancellation if the situation has not improved. 

Too many uncertainties, unfortunately. If you can get yourself comfortable with the risks and are satisfied on refund/vouchers etc, go for it. Check the travel insurance also just in case! 

Edited by Michael W

13 hours ago, Elixir said:

You're not meant to link to that account, mate. It's misleading.

I mean, Tory twitter account linking you to a Tory newspaper to read a story about Nicola Sturgeon which is behind a pay wall, I can't see any ulterior motive with that tweet at all, just good ol' honest reporting. What does the article actually say?

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I mean, Tory twitter account linking you to a Tory newspaper to read a story about Nicola Sturgeon which is behind a pay wall, I can't see any ulterior motive with that tweet at all, just good ol' honest reporting. What does the article actually say?

"She said that if it was established that vaccines had “broken the link” between cases, hospital admissions and deaths it would mean she would not have to react “quite so aggressively” to future outbreaks.

The major change comes after Ms Sturgeon repeatedly emphasised for almost a year the need to effectively “eliminate” coronavirus by driving case numbers to their lowest possible levels. 

As recently as March, when the vaccination programme was well under way, she described elimination as the "only sensible strategy" and warned that the virus “won’t play ball” with any attempt to keep case numbers at a “medium level”.

She has also repeatedly pressed the UK Government to adopt her elimination goal.

However, she revealed on Tuesday that she hoped to ditch the approach, because even if there was a surge in cases, this no longer necessarily meant that a significant number of hospitalisations and deaths would follow."

Even if travel is allowed from the UK (e.g. Amber or even Green list) , it's a no-go unless Biden removes the UK from America's banned list. Unless you're a US citizen or a permenant resident, you won't get in if you've been in the UK in the last 14 days. 
I'd make sure it's either refundable or that you're comfortable with a voucher if the flight goes ahead and you are unable to travel. BA's policy was that they'd give you a voucher if you wanted to cancel for any reason, but I don't know if it's still in effect. Obviously if they cancel then you'll get a refund. 
Also consider entry points. Whilst some travel is permissible if you've been in the UK as outlined above, there are only certain points of entry allowed and I think Miami is one of them. Orlando/Tampa are not so there's a higher liklihood of cancellation if the situation has not improved. 
Too many uncertainties, unfortunately. If you can get yourself comfortable with the risks and are satisfied on refund/vouchers etc, go for it. Check the travel insurance also just in case! 
Cheers, family over there seem to think September is a likely time for travel to open up fron their end. We will be going at some time to see them so quite comfortable with getting a voucher if necessary but £320 return from Edinburgh is just over half of what we paid pre the virus.

Hearing of folk under 30 from all over the UK getting booked in for their vaccine is highly frustrating.  I was told last week Inverness are still doing the 40-50s.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

"She said that if it was established that vaccines had “broken the link” between cases, hospital admissions and deaths it would mean she would not have to react “quite so aggressively” to future outbreaks.

The major change comes after Ms Sturgeon repeatedly emphasised for almost a year the need to effectively “eliminate” coronavirus by driving case numbers to their lowest possible levels. 

As recently as March, when the vaccination programme was well under way, she described elimination as the "only sensible strategy" and warned that the virus “won’t play ball” with any attempt to keep case numbers at a “medium level”.

She has also repeatedly pressed the UK Government to adopt her elimination goal.

However, she revealed on Tuesday that she hoped to ditch the approach, because even if there was a surge in cases, this no longer necessarily meant that a significant number of hospitalisations and deaths would follow."

Cheers. I'm not sure these journalists know what they're on about. An elimination strategy involves bringing case levels down to very low levels (like they are now) which makes small outbreaks more manageable. With vaccines meaning that these small outbreaks are not going to cause strain on the health services, there is no need for large scale restrictions across the nation. I think they might be confused between eradication and elimination tbh. No quote from Sturgeon there talks about her ditching any sort of strategy. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's very easy to "abandon" something you never had in the first place, Mr Tory shill that runs that wretched account.

It certainly was her policy 2 months ago 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56347695.amp

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said Scotland's objective must be "to eliminate" coronavirus.

"You can't just say you'll accept X number of cases a year and X number of deaths and X number of hospitalisations a year. The virus won't behave, it won't play ball with you like that.

She added: "You have to have an approach, in my view, where our objective has to be to eliminate. Even if you don't quite achieve elimination it is the act of trying to get it as low as possible that keeps it under control."

7 minutes ago, ddfg said:
38 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Cheers, family over there seem to think September is a likely time for travel to open up fron their end. We will be going at some time to see them so quite comfortable with getting a voucher if necessary but £320 return from Edinburgh is just over half of what we paid pre the virus.

Try and book it as a fly drive if you can, BA do ‘flight and car’ packages. Should give you full abta protection.