Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The briefing against June 21st continues. That's 5 days in a row. 

It's easy to see where this is going. Keep restrictions, blame unvaccinated people, use this as justification for introducing digital ID vaccine passports. 

The folk most likely to die or get seriously ill from covid will already be vaccinated. If people want to take their chances and not get vaccinated and they’d end up with a wee cough then so be it. Continuing with restrictions and blaming it on the unvaccinated or introducing vaccine passports are two ideas that need fired into the sea

Edited by Thereisalight..

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Retired now but we took the view that our customers were functioning adults capable of making their own decisions.

Everyone would ask if they needed them when they came in and were told they could choose for themselves. Every single one of them without fail removed the mask and gave a sigh of relief when doing so.

We were running a business at the time. We weren't the police and it was not our business to tell people what to do.

when masks are no longer mandatory, which will happen sooner or later, most will stop wearing them, masks are currently not mandatory outdoors in the UK and very few people currently wear them,  in countries where they are not mandatory indoors few people choose to wear them ( slightly more than those who choose to outdoors here, but by no means the majoirity)  pre pandemic it was NOT  a majority that chose to wear them in Asia, and those that did chose to wear them in very busy crowded places. not when they were getting out their seat  to go for a pish in a restaurant  or when they were in the supermarket

The majority of adults will decide for themselves not to, we won't turn into a nation of mask wearers like some of the fuckin cranks in the media have suggested ( i know that's not what any of you were saying but i felt the need to get it off my chest)

22 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Yeah that's what I thought, especially for anyone who was slightly hesitant, they might just think I might as well since I've been given an appointment, instead of just being invited to book one. And it may also help with those that have had side effects of the first jag and are less keen to get the second. But like you say, there will be an issue with no-shows and that might cause problems with wasting doses. And that's likely to become more of an issue if there's the expected drop in take-up the further down the age groups you go.

The system in England is probably better at getting as many of those who want the jag to get it quicker. Def better for the slightly younger people like you who are keen to get it, as you'll get it quicker than if you were staying in Scotland. It's clear with Northern Ireland, they're not ahead in either first or second doses, but I think they've been by far the quickest to offer vaccinations to younger age groups. 

Yeah. The stats really bear out that there is no clear 'right' answer where England, Scotland and NI are concerned. All are very close to each other in percentage terms. 

Wales is the massive outlier and if you were really wanting to know what works that is the place to look. Not sure exactly what they've done differently, but I've heard some rumblings that they've gone hell for leather on first doses and will be screwed for second doses if there are any supply disruptions. 

Edited by Michael W

11 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

More than 40,000 spectators at Atlanta v Montreal.

Leitch - here’s how to hug.

Meanwhile in Texas, baby. Yeehaw! 🤠

21 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Wales is the massive outlier and if you were really wanting to know what works that is the place to look. Not sure exactly what they've done differently, but I've heard some rumblings that they've gone hell for leather on first doses and will be screwed for second doses if there are any supply disruptions. 

Yep, there's a guy on twitter who works it all out from the limited numbers given by the Welsh & Scottish Gov's. It appears Wales have just taken the riskier approach of using up more of their supplies, whereas the rest of the UK have continued to keep some in reserve (presumably) for second doses. It should only be an issue for Wales if there is an unexpected drop in supplies, if not, everyone will question why the rest of the UK didn't do the same. Their already lower levels of Covid-19 are probably being helped by the higher numbers getting their first dose.

It's interesting, like you say, there really isn't much difference between them all, apart from small changes to how they chose focus on certain groups, and that makes sense since each country has the same amount of vaccines available, but the public perception doesn't seem that way. 

Don't think anyone can really argue that for the whole of the UK the vaccines are going well, and the numbers of people taking the vaccine and those willing to be vaccinated is higher than most. All of which means we should be one of the best candidates for vaccinating our way out of this mess in the long run.

Swinney saying that East Renf could be back in tier 3 dependsnt on what happens the next couple of days. Glad to see absolutely no lessons have been learned from the farce of last year.

Swinney saying that East Renf could be back in tier 3 dependsnt on what happens the next couple of days. Glad to see absolutely no lessons have been learned from the farce of last year.

Farce is the perfect word. Complete and utter farce.

7 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Unless what happens in the next couple of days is dozens of people being hospitalised with covid he can f**k all the way off. 

Can someone tell me what the Scottish Government seem to be seeing that isnt shown in hospital admissions, deaths etc? Research showing no significant concerns in terms of vaccine efficacy? Leitch et al entirely unwilling to explain Entirely unaccountable? No adult conversation? Businesses being destroyed with no notice, families unable to meet up indoors as planned, illegal to give yer granny a cuddle in Glasgow? 
Is this genuinely the world we want to live in? Are these measures actually proportionate? Where is the evidence of the NHS being likely overwhelmed? 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Can someone tell me what the Scottish Government seem to be seeing that isnt shown in hospital admissions, deaths etc? Research showing no significant concerns in terms of vaccine efficacy? Leitch et al entirely unwilling to explain Entirely unaccountable? No adult conversation? Businesses being destroyed with no notice, families unable to meet up indoors as planned, illegal to give yer granny a cuddle in Glasgow? 
Is this genuinely the world we want to live in? Are these measures actually proportionate? Where is the evidence of the NHS being likely overwhelmed? 

Interview after interview with hardly a passing mention to vaccines or hospital numbers.  

Plenty of anecdotes from people getting read out about it all being too soon, I won't be going anywhere or seeing anyone. 

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Unless what happens in the next couple of days is dozens of people being hospitalised with covid he can f**k all the way off. 

I was thinking about this actually. What level of an increase in hospital numbers would people feel it’s justified to go backwards with restrictions? 100 in hospital? 500?

There will undoubtedly be a bit of a rise, but I’ll be fuming if we get a small, but higher than now, number in hospital and instantly shit the bed when it’s an inevitability without the whole population vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Interview after interview with hardly a passing mention to vaccines or hospital numbers.  

Plenty of anecdotes from people getting read out about it all being too soon, I won't be going anywhere or seeing anyone. 

Any lawyers on here with an interest in Human Rights or whatever able to give me an idea as to the legality of this shite continuing?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Because of......?

Now that they've from today started vaccination on18-39 might have a chance not to

But surely through the history of this pandemic it's not too difficult to work out that a bunch of over weight 30 something's presenting themselves to hospital and clogging up the system

Will result in the govt putting in place a lockdown

161 new cases of COVID-19 reported
11,361 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
1.6% of these were positive
0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register offices are now generally closed on weekends)
3 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
68 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
3,035,790 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,638,536 have received their second dose

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

161 new cases of COVID-19 reported
11,361 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
1.6% of these were positive
0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register offices are now generally closed on weekends)
3 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
68 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
3,035,790 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,638,536 have received their second dose

Excellent. Fewer cases, positivity down and hospital numbers back down as well? I can't remember what they were on Friday.