Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I see Union Berlin are hopeful of being allowed to have fans in the ground on Saturday, not sure how many.

The position of the SG on spectators at outdoor events is bizarre, and fast becoming an outlier. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see Union Berlin are hopeful of being allowed to have fans in the ground on Saturday, not sure how many.

The position of the SG on spectators at outdoor events is bizarre, and fast becoming an outlier. 

Who are the Nazis now, eh?

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I wonder for how long the SG will drag their heels on the Euro’s Glasgow Green fanzone. Probably find out the week before 50 can attend, no alcohol allowed. Everyone sat at individual tables. 

25 can attend. 

26 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I wonder for how long the SG will drag their heels on the Euro’s Glasgow Green fanzone. Probably find out the week before 50 can attend, no alcohol allowed. Everyone sat at individual tables. 

12 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

25 can attend. 

We joke but you know it'll be another boot in the baws for the big, bad football fans who just can't behave themselves. 

15 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

The thing with this blue envelope pish is that it provides a link to a perfectly functional website where you can change your appointment online, not sure why they couldn't have just skipped the envelope bit and just told folk to do it online, most likely would have meant more doses in arms instead of fridges and saved a few quid as well.

The online system isn't great. Took me 5 days of constant checking to even find an appointment for me.

You just know that the events on Saturday will be used to batter football fans as well, even though they took place outside of a stadium and were not organised in conjunction with the police or Local Authority with various control measures put in place.

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

You just know that the events on Saturday will be used to batter football fans as well, even though they took place outside of a stadium and were not organised in conjunction with the police or Local Authority with various control measures put in place.

100% agree. Now I am not saying the Rangers fans were well behaved, and in a normal year we'd have the folk on radio call ins and the like complaining about the language, fighting, urinating and so on. But now the moral high horse is even higher because Glasgow is still in level 3 and these people have caused it. Like a superspreader event even though it really wasn't. 

Radio Scotland this morning was full of calls like that. 

15 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

The thing with this blue envelope pish is that it provides a link to a perfectly functional website where you can change your appointment online, not sure why they couldn't have just skipped the envelope bit and just told folk to do it online, most likely would have meant more doses in arms instead of fridges and saved a few quid as well.

I read recently that the ONS have reported vaccine hesitancy as fairly similar across the whole of the UK, but it appears take-up is generally higher in Scotland than elsewhere (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56858763). Maybe this means the blue envelope pish is working better, or is it just a coincidence? 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

100% agree. Now I am not saying the Rangers fans were well behaved, and in a normal year we'd have the folk on radio call ins and the like complaining about the language, fighting, urinating and so on. But now the moral high horse is even higher because Glasgow is still in level 3 and these people have caused it. Like a superspreader event even though it really wasn't. 

Radio Scotland this morning was full of calls like that. 

Football fans often over estimate how important the game is to the wider population.  The average person doesn’t give a shit and certainly doesn’t care about going to games etc.

I do think people clamouring for Rangers to be fined over it all are jumping the gun and bringing in something like strict liability would end up causing significant problems. Perhaps it could be worked out but I’m sceptical about it.

9 minutes ago, s_dog said:

I read recently that the ONS have reported vaccine hesitancy as fairly similar across the whole of the UK, but it appears take-up is generally higher in Scotland than elsewhere (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56858763). Maybe this means the blue envelope pish is working better, or is it just a coincidence? 

If you're a simpering moron, sure. 

The early indications are definitely in favour of vaccines doing a good job with the Indian variant.

This was from an article over a week ago, so it may not look as good, but this is in a care home, and it was apparently only a week after their second dose (so not enough time for vaccine to its work fully).

"In London clusters of this mutation have been located in care homes. One care home in particular saw 15 cases of the variant, despite residents having their second dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine in the week prior. Four of the cases were hospitalised with non-severe illness, and there were no deaths."

And today, although there is no age details of the vaccinated people, this is promising too.

"18 people in hospital with Covid in Bolton.  13 unvaccinated, and of the 5 vaccinated, only one had both doses, the other 4 just one dose."

21 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Possibly helpful as it's official and will likely prompt people. On the other hand, there have been some reported delays with these and I wonder if this is at least partly to blame for no shows? 

I think the approach in England is more "if you want it, come and have it" but this is based only my own experience. My GP is one of the vaccine centres and called for 39 and 38 year old to make appointments this week in line with national guidance. A reserve listed is operated and my wife and I signed up to this, on the provision that we needed to be available between 4.30pm and 6pm on Saturday if they called us. The reserve list is essentially to prevent wastage of vaccine and is also open to non-patients. 

We got a text on Friday inviting us to book our vaccines, therefore we didn't even need the reserve list. Both of us are 31 and so we're well ahead of when our age group would be called. 

I am very happy to have been vaccinated and do agree that we should get the vaccines to everyone that wants them ASAP. Slightly concerned how the stragglers will be picked up under such a system, but equally if people are going to hesitate then we shouldn't hold up the rollout. 

Edited by Michael W

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Possibly helpful as it's official and will likely prompt people. On the other hand, there have been some reported delays with these and I wonder if this is at least partly to blame for no shows? 

Yeah that's what I thought, especially for anyone who was slightly hesitant, they might just think I might as well since I've been given an appointment, instead of just being invited to book one. And it may also help with those that have had side effects of the first jag and are less keen to get the second. But like you say, there will be an issue with no-shows and that might cause problems with wasting doses. And that's likely to become more of an issue if there's the expected drop in take-up the further down the age groups you go.

The system in England is probably better at getting as many of those who want the jag to get it quicker. Def better for the slightly younger people like you who are keen to get it, as you'll get it quicker than if you were staying in Scotland. It's clear with Northern Ireland, they're not ahead in either first or second doses, but I think they've been by far the quickest to offer vaccinations to younger age groups. 

The amount of people that have not taken the vaccine for a legitimate reason will probably be very small. 

We cannot be held in perpetual lockdown with restrictions applied for the benefit of those that refuse the vaccine. I respect their right to make that choice, but they cannot expect society to continue giving then a safety blanket in addition to that choice. 

Edited by Michael W
Typo