Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Agreed, particularly this bit:

“I understand the significance of this day for Rangers fans but I am extremely disappointed that supporters have once again ignored Covid regulations and chosen to gather in large numbers in Glasgow.

“The rules are the same for everyone and the evidence is clear – when large numbers of people gather in close proximity, there is an increased risk of transmission.

Clearly this doesn't apply when said mass gathering is for a cause that Yousaf agrees with. It's a smart virus after all - only infects the gatherings you don't like. Ignoring of course the numerous examples of such gatherings over the last year for numerous reasons, none of which resulted in a case spike. 

By all means condemn the behaviour last night that lead to numerous arrests and investigations being launched as these were out of order and worthy of condemnation. As for the gathering itself, the "endangering lives" line is birthday caird pish doing nothing but playing to the galleries of Lovejoys. Lives were equally as endangered at the Palestine marches and the Deportation protest, not least considering the latter took place in the area with Scotland's worst rates of coronavirus infection. However this passed without comment from Yousaf. 

The inconsistency is rage-inducing, but not unexpected. More worrying is that the disorder on display will undoubtedly be used to bash all football fans with. 

Hes a moron. Somebody should call him out, not just on his hypocrisy but also the fact that studies have shown outdoor transmission accounts for less that 1% of covid cases

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Hes a moron. Somebody should call him out, not just on his hypocrisy but also the fact that studies have shown outdoor transmission accounts for less that 1% of covid cases

Worst justice minister ever. That said the best thing would have been for the scottish government to open up ibrokes to 3/4 capacity and let them party there. 

15 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

Yes that's right, although they were due to reopen the following day anyway. It was more about the principle of the government having power to close places of worship. 

Churches certainly aren't permitted to be full currently, 2 metre distancing applies which severely restricts numbers. 

Are they actually having to turn people away because of this or is it a pointless “restriction”?  

Here we go again, we're on the road again [emoji445][emoji444]
Prof Christine Tait-Burkard was also on saying she reckons minimum 2 or 3 weeks for Glasgow.

Moray on the downward so maybe not for them.

I am not disputing the JCVI's expertise (the press conference with them where they completely tore apart the journalists was brilliant) but I wonder if, in hindsight, there should have been more focus vaccinating certain demographics and population centres.

I am not disputing the JCVI's expertise (the press conference with them where they completely tore apart the journalists was brilliant) but I wonder if, in hindsight, there should have been more focus vaccinating certain demographics and population centres.
You would hope that they focus on vaccinations in Glasgow, shit for other areas if its at their expense but Glasgow is the largest population centre in Scotland and consistently near the top of the table for case rates.

1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

You would hope that they focus on vaccinations in Glasgow, shit for other areas if its at their expense but Glasgow is the largest population centre in Scotland and consistently near the top of the table for case rates.

There are additional vaccination centres being set up and appointments allocated to everyone over the age of 18 in the worst impacted post codes.

There are additional vaccination centres being set up and appointments allocated to everyone over the age of 18 in the worst impacted post codes.
I'm glad that that they are recognising vaccinations should help sort this, but its massively disappointing that Glasgow is, yet again, being left with restrictions worse than literally everywhere else for an indefinite period of time.

This 1% figure is useful in terms of showing that outdoor transmission is less likely than indoor transmission, but it was computed at a time when outdoor gatherings were also banned. It's therefore not really a figure that can be applied in any meaningful way to large outdoor gatherings like that one.

I see the latest reports indicate the Indian variety might not be the end of humanity after all.
Know what I was wondering as I read thr BBC report just there, with Clammy Hancock... The variant chat seems like its really conveniently timed to cover for an obvious increase in viral circulation as restrictions loosen.

Are the country so terrified of seeing cases inevitably increase as a result of increased mixing of people that they have to be provided with a bogeyman type explanation, which is then downplayed in the days that follow? It all seems rather formulaic now...

1 hour ago, super_carson said:
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm glad that that they are recognising vaccinations should help sort this, but its massively disappointing that Glasgow is, yet again, being left with restrictions worse than literally everywhere else for an indefinite period of time.

what restrictions are there on Glasgow that are not imposed on Moray?

Maybe Glasgow citizens might consider congruating in their thousand to twice celebate a team winning at fitba if they want to reach level 2

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Are they actually having to turn people away because of this or is it a pointless “restriction”?  

I couldn't really say with any certainty. I know of RC churches which have put on extra masses at the weekends to allow folk to attend. If they hadn't then yes, essentially they would be turning people away.  Others take different approaches. I think most operate booking systems, although not all, which would mean you're not going to see queues of people beating down the doors. A lot have also set up live streaming for those unable to attend in person. 

It's also worth considering that the people most likely to attend religious services regularly tend to be older folk who'd be the least likely to be confident about going out and gathering indoors over the last year or so, which will have had an affect on demand for places (although anecdotally this seems to be changing now with the confidence given by vaccines). 

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This 1% figure is useful in terms of showing that outdoor transmission is less likely than indoor transmission, but it was computed at a time when outdoor gatherings were also banned. It's therefore not really a figure that can be applied in any meaningful way to large outdoor gatherings like that one.

Theres been large outdoor gatherings for over a year now. BLM protests/statue wars. Beach gatherings, Liverpool title win, Rangers back in March, Sarah Everard vigils etc. None has resulted in any danger 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Maybe Glasgow citizens might consider congruating in their thousand to twice celebate a team winning at fitba if they want to reach level 2

That's a bit nasty isn't it pal? There's thousands of us here who've followed the rules all the way through and who are really suffering now. There's no need to be unpleasant like that. 

what restrictions are there on Glasgow that are not imposed on Moray?
Qualifying this as anecdotal, but Larbert train station car park was the busiest I have seen it since the pandemic began yesterday, and I seen folk who had obviously just came back off a train decked out in Rangers gear in steady streams after 8 at night. I live very near the station.

So you cant blame "the people of Glasgow" for that. Thats before you get into the obvious fact that these restrictions were announced on Friday, outdoor transmission is pie in the sky, and numerous other such gatherings over the last year have shown this.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Qualifying this as anecdotal, but Larbert train station car park was the busiest I have seen it since the pandemic began yesterday, and I seen folk who had obviously just came back off a train decked out in Rangers gear in steady streams after 8 at night. I live very near the station.

So you cant blame "the people of Glasgow" for that. Thats before you get into the obvious fact that these restrictions were announced on Friday, outdoor transmission is pie in the sky, and numerous other such gatherings over the last year have shown this.

They weren’t.  The current restrictions Glasgow is under have been in place for weeks/months.

2 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

That's a bit nasty isn't it pal? There's thousands of us here who've followed the rules all the way through and who are really suffering now. There's no need to be unpleasant like that. 

actually you are probably right and as soon as posted I thought its not fair to tar all with same brush.

However, its not incorrect to say that actions of those on the streets yesterday do not help the situation that Glasgwo finds itself in....irresepctive of who they support