Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Interestingly enough on my walk earlier I walked over a bridge that is at least 6 foot wide.  An absolute moon unit walking towards me stopped before the bridge, pulled up their mask and turned their head away.  If you’re that paranoid don't leave the house.  

Other than that weirdo though loads of people chatting in the streets, no masks, no social distancing and quite rightly so.

Rational people have had enough.  Those who want to live in perpetual fear can do so let the rest of us get on with life.

Had a similar experience earlier today too, as it happens just after getting my first jab.

Queueing at an outdoor food kiosk, people standing 2m apart, no problem. Once I had ordered and was told it would take a few minutes I stood to the side, giving the couple after me a couple of metres space to order. They were the only people there wearing masks and approached the counter nervously giving it and me a wide berth, then actually politely asked me to move further away. Other people came closer to them to read menus etc and they were visibly flinching as if everyone was walking around carrying live hand grenades.

Stay at home if you're this terrified ffs.

Interestingly enough on my walk earlier I walked over a bridge that is at least 6 foot wide.  An absolute moon unit walking towards me stopped before the bridge, pulled up their mask and turned their head away.  If you’re that paranoid don't leave the house.  
Other than that weirdo though loads of people chatting in the streets, no masks, no social distancing and quite rightly so.
Rational people have had enough.  Those who want to live in perpetual fear can do so let the rest of us get on with life.
Couple days ago I noticed a guy cycling wearing a mask but not wearing a helmet. Felt like stopping to tell him that he would be far safer ditching the mask for a helmet.

5 hours ago, Snafu said:

Source please??

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-hospital-indian-variant-despite-24113860

Scots in hospital with Indian variant despite being vaccinated against Covid

There are believed to be six patients – who have had the vaccine – currently being treated for complications suspected to be related to the variant.

These nonsense, insignificant 'breakthrough' stories were always going to be jumped on by the shitrags. The vile cretins don't know the damage they're doing.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It does seem as if things are a bit stuck in the mud. They should be firing through what is in storage and instead appear to be pissing about with their blue letters.

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Pretty much sums up my exact thoughts. So many moving goalposts and mixed messages throughout this whole shitshow.

They're talking at the moment as if the vaccine rollout has all been imagined and we're still at the same risk level as a year ago. Listening to the perennially-wrong experts on the radio yesterday and this morning they're wetting themselves at the prospect of the currently unvaccinated 20-30 year olds mixing as restrictions relax. What exactly are the risks here? If we're going to keep wider society and businesses restricted for the miniscule risk of a few young people being ill for a while then what are we actually trying to do here?

The frightening thing for me about all this is the precedent it sets for future events. Now that 'lockdown' has essentially been normalised to the point that sections of society demand it based on what government experts tell them, how long until the next emergency requiring us all to be locked up at home for our own safety? The next virus? Terrorism threat perhaps? Also as you say, one of the worst things to come of all this is the Stasi-esque self-policing of the population. 

At least we're now allowed to shake hands again from Monday. A new 'freedom' granted to us for our good behaviour.

This was my biggest worry last March and I remember airing such concerns with mates/folk at work. They didn't take this authoritarianism seriously then, but I bet they start to...

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

The Daily Record backing up their earlier story with something one of them heard on BBC Radio 4 then found more in the Daily Star. Tinpot journalism at its finest.

I would have thought that vaccines are less effective if someone has a very weak or no immune system and depending on how much exposure to the virus that person has had. For a completely healthy vaccinated person with a fully functional immune system, even this Indian variant shouldn't be much of a problem.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/covid-jabs-almost-certainly-less-24114680

Covid jabs 'almost certainly less effective' against Indian variant expert warns as six vaccinated Scots in hospital

By
Joshua Smith Digital News Reporter
Jon Hebditch Reporter

Professor Anthony Harnden, the deputy chair of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The vaccines may be less effective against mild disease but we don't think they're less effective against severe disease.

"But in combination with being less effective against mild disease, they're almost certainly less effective against transmission."

The Daily Star reports that he also defended the approach of bringing forward second jabs rather than speeding up the rollout to younger people.

Professor Anthony Harnden told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that targeting more vulnerable people with full immunity is a "better strategy".

He said: "The reason we think this is if we immunise 18-29 year olds, for instance, in these areas we'll be taking vaccines from somebody else in the country.

"The vaccines may be less effective against transmission and immunity takes a number of weeks to develop, so it's not a very good strategy for preventing transmission, what we want is to prevent disease.

"From a vaccination strategy it just won't help mass-vaccinating a number of young people at the expense of older people who haven't been vaccinated."

It's noted that he seems unaware that 18-29 year olds are already been vaccinated in hot spot areas of the country and that the majority of older people as he calls them have already been vaccinated at least once if not twice.

Disinformation - and what old/vulnerable people aren't already vaxxed to their eyeballs? The tiny percentage of nutters who refuse can rot or take the chance, that was their decision.

27 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Usually i would have had a rant about this a few months back but not now. 

We or the Saints will be doing exactly same thing next Saturday. 

This is about their 4th or 5th title 'celebration' now.

You really have to say fair play to them for kicking the complete arse out of it.

9 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Had a similar experience earlier today too, as it happens just after getting my first jab.

Queueing at an outdoor food kiosk, people standing 2m apart, no problem. Once I had ordered and was told it would take a few minutes I stood to the side, giving the couple after me a couple of metres space to order. They were the only people there wearing masks and approached the counter nervously giving it and me a wide berth, then actually politely asked me to move further away. Other people came closer to them to read menus etc and they were visibly flinching as if everyone was walking around carrying live hand grenades.

Stay at home if you're this terrified ffs.

The psychological damage done to a significant number of the population is the result of over a year's worth of fear and doom-mongering from leaders, advisors and journalists.  People have lost all sense of perspective and sense of how to take individual responsibility to manage risk.  

Unfortunately, this is exactly the reason why you are seeing people supporting restrictions for places like Glasgow and Moray.  While I have some sympathy for them, I blame them in equal measure for making restrictions and lockdowns an easy option for leaders. 

If there was a bit more resistance to these kind of measures carrying on beyond their legal mandate (protecting the NHS, remember)  as there has been in the US, then we might not be shitting the bed.  But, as many have already said, if you talk about the harms of restrictions outweighing those of COVID then you are labelled as a COVID-denier or an anti-vax crackpot.  In Scotland, it gets reduced to an SNP v Tory debate in particular.  Nuance is out the window. 

The players are probably safe enough to go out and celebrate with the fans, TBH.  In fact the Dons will probably chuck another couple of own goals in to make the home win nice and comfortable.  

33 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Usually i would have had a rant about this a few months back but not now. 

We or the Saints will be doing exactly same thing next Saturday. 

All it takes is for one confused steward to open a gate & the whole tiered-restrictions system will collapse like communism...

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Nicolas goin to set a firehose on the cigars with today’s case numbers. Massive night time jobby incoming

Strange how data problems that result in increased numbers always strike when restrictions are increased/not loosened. Thus prompting "DEADLY VARIANTS" chat from the usual characters.

Feels like groundhog day.

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Nicolas goin to set a firehose on the cigars with today’s case numbers. Massive night time jobby incoming

If she does, can she just get on with it instead of the usual days and weeks of build up

That Record headline is howling.

IF vaccines are less effective at preventing mild disease, they will almost certainly also be less effective at lessening transmission.

Translates to VACCINE ALMOST CERTAINLY LESS EFFECTIVE AGAINST INDIAN VARIANT!!!

Nonsense on so many counts, and irresponsible too

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Going to get myself a dose of the Pfizer goodness today.

I'm at the lower end of the 30-39 age group, but our GP practice has been on the ball with reserve lists in order to minimise vaccine wastage. If appointment slots aren't booked, they'll open them up to younger age groups. You don't need to be a patient at the surgery either for the reserve list. 

I wasn't expecting to  get vaccinated until June, but absolutely delighted. 

Took 2mins in and out. Exceptionally efficient. 

Mon the vaccines. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, dundeefc1783 said:
2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Couple days ago I noticed a guy cycling wearing a mask but not wearing a helmet. Felt like stopping to tell him that he would be far safer ditching the mask for a helmet.

I wear a mask while cycling. Its nothing to do with covid, it keeps insects out my mouth

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I know. It beggars belief people can be this dependent on direction from above.

A bit like Rangers fans demanding to know exactly what they can and can't sing because they can't fathom it out for themselves. Remember that from a few years ago?

Aye I've no clue about what you're on about or the relevancy of it to my post. 

Love it when people equate supporting a political party to supporting football teams though.