Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Deputy head of the JCVI on BBC breakfast at 8:15am this morning said “we just don’t know” if the vaccines prevent transmission of the Indian variant.

Trying to enjoy my breakfast and a coffee and I’m now a triggered, seething, verge of tears raging mess
I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Until they get more detailed data then the scientists won't commit one way or other.

You'd suspect that is exactly what they are trying to do - it's been like that with all the other variants so far - non-committal regards efficacy of the vaccine then as they data comes in they say it has effective.

You would hope it were no different here.

What's that tosser on about? There are low figures for Aberdeen and Edinburgh and have been for weeks now. 
I got my jag in Gorebridge rather than Edinburgh- it was a bit inconvenient but seemed a good use of resources in that if there was spare capacity in Midlothian why not use it if people can get there? Meanwhile Ma Bam being auld got her two jags at her GPs.
Have any of our Glasgow posters been offered appointments in Paisley, Hamilton or Airdrie for example or have you all been vaccinated in Glasgow?
I know of one person being sent to the Lagoon in Paisley rather than Giffnock despite living in that part of East Renfrewshire.

Other than that, everyone I know has been 'local'.

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-bolton-cases-coronavirus-vaccine-b1847653.html

Majority of hospital admissions in Bolton amongst those eligible for the vaccine but had not had it. 

Oh well. Risk you take. 

I expect a similar story up here. Life should not be held back a minute longer for people unwilling to take vaccines once they've been offered.

2 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I know of one person being sent to the Lagoon in Paisley rather than Giffnock despite living in that part of East Renfrewshire.

I was sent to the SEC Hydro /Louisa Jordan rather than Lagoon or Johnstone Town Hall.

2 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

My dad got his second in Hydro despite his first being in Dumbarton, but obviously took the first appointment we could get. 

Get my second dose on Tuesday at Dewars ice rink in Perth.

I got my first dose there but my pal got his 2 at his doctors.

I think it’s by chance up here really.

Really need someone from AZ and Pfizer to come out and stub a cigar out in the eye of this latest variant nonsense.
The thing is, it's an absolute guarantee the vaccines will deal with this variant the same as they have any other.

We're on the 15th of May. I reckon by the end of the month everywhere in Scotland will be in level 2 and things will go quiet on the Indian variant, the same as they have with the Kent, Brazilian and South African variants. Then, just in time for 21st June, we'll have the next variant to deal with.

Reading that back I realise my tinfoil hat appears to be firmly on but I would genuinely bet any amount of money on it playing out exactly like that.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

The thing is, it's an absolute guarantee the vaccines will deal with this variant the same as they have any other.

We're on the 15th of May. I reckon by the end of the month everywhere in Scotland will be in level 2 and things will go quiet on the Indian variant, the same as they have with the Kent, Brazilian and South African variants. Then, just in time for 21st June, we'll have the next variant to deal with.

Reading that back I realise my tinfoil hat appears to be firmly on but I would genuinely bet any amount of money on it playing out exactly like that.

Re the tin foil hat, thats what this is doing to people. Thoughts that were previously considered to be conspiritorial are swimming in the heads of the normal because what they are doing defies logic and reason. 

Said this exact thing already months ago so there will be no judgement from me

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Until they get more detailed data then the scientists won't commit one way or other.

You'd suspect that is exactly what they are trying to do - it's been like that with misg up the variants so far - non-committal regards efficacy of the vaccine then as they data comes in they say it has effective.

You would hope it were no different here.

This is why the current approach and extending restrictions is so wrong.  Based on all the data so far the vaccines work against all variants.  There have been zero exceptions to this.

why then is the starting point to shit the bed every time a new variant is announced?  Based on the data the starting point should to say its extremely likely the vaccine will work so we’ll carry on easing, monitor the situation and only if something changes do we change path and think about pausing.

The Daily Record backing up their earlier story with something one of them heard on BBC Radio 4 then found more in the Daily Star. Tinpot journalism at its finest.
I would have thought that vaccines are less effective if someone has a very weak or no immune system and depending on how much exposure to the virus that person has had. For a completely healthy vaccinated person with a fully functional immune system, even this Indian variant shouldn't be much of a problem.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/covid-jabs-almost-certainly-less-24114680

Covid jabs 'almost certainly less effective' against Indian variant expert warns as six vaccinated Scots in hospital

By Joshua Smith Digital News Reporter Jon Hebditch Reporter   Professor Anthony Harnden, the deputy chair of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The vaccines may be less effective against mild disease but we don't think they're less effective against severe disease.
"But in combination with being less effective against mild disease, they're almost certainly less effective against transmission."
The Daily Star reports that he also defended the approach of bringing forward second jabs rather than speeding up the rollout to younger people.
Professor Anthony Harnden told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that targeting more vulnerable people with full immunity is a "better strategy".
He said: "The reason we think this is if we immunise 18-29 year olds, for instance, in these areas we'll be taking vaccines from somebody else in the country.
"The vaccines may be less effective against transmission and immunity takes a number of weeks to develop, so it's not a very good strategy for preventing transmission, what we want is to prevent disease.
"From a vaccination strategy it just won't help mass-vaccinating a number of young people at the expense of older people who haven't been vaccinated."

It's noted that he seems unaware that 18-29 year olds are already been vaccinated in hot spot areas of the country and that the majority of older people as he calls them have already been vaccinated at least once if not twice.

That whole article is couched in scientific fence-sitting. The word MAY is the go to when they won't commit.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Interestingly enough on my walk earlier I walked over a bridge that is at least 6 foot wide.  An absolute moon unit walking towards me stopped before the bridge, pulled up their mask and turned their head away.  If you’re that paranoid don't leave the house.  

Other than that weirdo though loads of people chatting in the streets, no masks, no social distancing and quite rightly so.

Rational people have had enough.  Those who want to live in perpetual fear can do so let the rest of us get on with life.

I have to admit, anecdotally only, I have noticed a few less masks and bit more nornal social interaction of late. And its pleasing of course. 

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Interestingly enough on my walk earlier I walked over a bridge that is at least 6 foot wide.  An absolute moon unit walking towards me stopped before the bridge, pulled up their mask and turned their head away.  If you’re that paranoid don't leave the house.  

Other than that weirdo though loads of people chatting in the streets, no masks, no social distancing and quite rightly so.

Rational people have had enough.  Those who want to live in perpetual fear can do so let the rest of us get on with life.

The scary thing is the amount of people that are fully on board with the announcements about the Glasgow restrictions.

2 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The scary thing is the amount of people that are fully on board with the announcements about the Glasgow restrictions.

Some people genuinely prefer other people to think for them. 

32 minutes ago, Snafu said:

It should never be forgotten but it looks like it already is by our scientific advisors that the Pfizer vaccine for example saved many many lives in our Care Homes and in our hospitals earlier in the year. Many of those people with underlying health issues and poor immune systems but yet survived, many with no symptoms after testing positive.

I don't understand why we don't talk up our vaccines more, its our way out of this mess.

Someone posted a story earlier this week of the Indian variant getting into a care home somewhere in England. A few positive tests no one got ill. 

Stories like that should be news headlines, if we don't talk up the vaccines then no wonder some people won't take them as they start to think what's the point. 

20 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

This in a nutshell, I had a blazing argument with Snorkmaiden yesterday as we have booked a hotel in Glasgow over the BH Weekend & I am fully intending to visit people irrespective of whatever shite Clownshoes & Sridhar are feeding into Sturgeon. She doesn't want to break the law & is inferring that by going to her mum and dads house, I want them to get the virus. This is an otherwise sensible person who has been completely taken in by their constant doom mongering.

Usually i would have had a rant about this a few months back but not now. 

We or the Saints will be doing exactly same thing next Saturday. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

This in a nutshell, I had a blazing argument with Snorkmaiden yesterday as we have booked a hotel in Glasgow over the BH Weekend & I am fully intending to visit people irrespective of whatever shite Clownshoes & Sridhar are feeding into Sturgeon. She doesn't want to break the law & is inferring that by going to her mum and dads house, I want them to get the virus. This is an otherwise sensible person who has been completely taken in by their constant doom mongering.
It's worth checking if the hotel will allow you to stay for leisure purposes.