Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Deputy head of the JCVI on BBC breakfast at 8:15am this morning said “we just don’t know” if the vaccines prevent transmission of the Indian variant.

Trying to enjoy my breakfast and a coffee and I’m now a triggered, seething, verge of tears raging mess

Cue .loads of Weegies piling into Paisley next week.
What for ? I assume you are referring to drinking inside but I think we need to look at the bigger picture, that is just one small facet. Surely folk will be more concerned by other consequences like meeting families. We might all be doing that anyway but as has been alluded to in various posts hundreds of thousands are following these rules to the letter through fear. I'm not sure there are that many people who come a Monday are that desperate for a pint inside that they will travel to a strange town just to do it. I think we tend to get too caught up in that one aspect possibly just through the age demographic on here. There are far more serious implications imo to folks livelihoods, their mental health, barriers the travel restrictions raise and most importantly in separating families who finally thought they were about to get face to face contact. There's way more to this than getting a pint with your lunch !

Well, I struck a blow for freedom tonight.
Went for a bar of chocolate, removed my mask at the tills and then walked out the entrance ignoring all the No Exit signs.
Baby steps. [emoji4]
#gangsta #gofuckyerseljason
So you keep telling us eg you allegedly going to Carlisle for a maskless McDonald's. You some rebel !!!

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This. 

For all the rhetoric coming out of Glasgow through the week of how much of a good thing people did (not least by SNP politicians), you'd think that same level of concern for human impact would be on display when throwing an entire city under the bus in response to a very localised breakout.

Remember though, NS will 'never apologise for keeping people safe'. It's absolutely nonsensical and I'd love to see the cross section of people in Glasgow in acceptance of it. My guess is most are either rubbing their hands together at more furlough money or SNP can do no wrong 'independence at all and every cost' types. 

I'd also be interested to see what the reaction to yesterday's announcement would have been if Glasgow was sticking to level 3 under a Tory or Labour SG who enforced it.

I'd bet my last penny that people wouldn't be quite so readily accepting then. 

Sheer outrage. 

It's okay thought because it's our bad guys doing bad things. 

Isn't living in a Nationalist authoritarian state lovely. Just want to take this moment to thank everyone for imposing this on the rest of us due to your insecure identity issues and butthetoaries, grand job. 

My wife just sent me this from one of those local gossip girl pages. The absolute state of this (wonder why they wanted it posted anonymously). 

This is the sort of paranoia the media has sown into some people. 

Screenshot_20210515_082203.jpg

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

There are far more serious implications imo to folks livelihoods, their mental health, barriers the travel restrictions raise and most importantly in separating families who finally thought they were about to get face to face contact. There's way more to this than getting a pint with your lunch !

Absolutely. I couldn't give a f**k about getting a pint, indoors or outdoors. On Tuesday afternoon I made plans for us to go and visit my folks in Musselburgh and stay for a couple of days over the holiday weekend at the end of the month. It would be the first time we'd been able to do that since August. Now it's unlikely that will be allowed. Other folk will be in similar and worse situations. For weeks we had this glimmer of hope that things might be getting better and it was wonderful when that was confirmed on Tuesday. To have it taken away by Friday is emotionally devastating. 

Source please??
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-hospital-indian-variant-despite-24113860

Scots in hospital with Indian variant despite being vaccinated against Covid

There are believed to be six patients – who have had the vaccine – currently being treated for complications suspected to be related to the variant.
"A source said..."

Whenever you read that in one of the rags like the Record or the Sun you can be almost guaranteed that the "journalist" has made up the quote.

For some context, it would be good if they could tell us how many millions of people who have been vaccinated aren't in hospital?

2 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

Absolutely. I couldn't give a f**k about getting a pint, indoors or outdoors. On Tuesday afternoon I made plans for us to go and visit my folks in Musselburgh and stay for a couple of days over the holiday weekend at the end of the month. It would be the first time we'd been able to do that since August. Now it's unlikely that will be allowed. Other folk will be in similar and worse situations. For weeks we had this glimmer of hope that things might be getting better and it was wonderful when that was confirmed on Tuesday. To have it taken away by Friday is emotionally devastating. 

Just go do what you want to do m9. f**k this shit show that’s been thrust upon us.

Again though. This likely harks back to the sizeable number in the population who think that lending support to a political party also means not criticising them at any time or for anything. 
People who support the party in power should be the party's harshest critics and that simply doesn't happen. Not with the SNP up here and not with the Tories down south. A 'defend at all costs' mentality is both unhealthy and dangerous. 
I'm far from convinced every person I saw interviewed on tv yesterday were SNP voters to be fair. I'm not sure it's as nuanced as that despite it appearing that way at times on here. There is ZERO opposition or push back to any of this by ANY political party. It appears to me to be unanimously accepted politically. That simply isn't healthy.

There is very little opportunity for push back by the public either. We might talk about the "f**k it I'm done with following these restrictions" attitude and let's face it the vast majority of us that post on here have been meeting family etc indoors if posts are to be believed (brother coming for the cup final and dinner today before anyone asks) but short of that there is very little else joe public can do to "rebel". There will be no civil unrest in Scotland or anywhere else in the UK (NI but for all the wrong reasons) that can be guaranteed.

Just now, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Just go do what you want to do m9. f**k this shit show that’s been thrust upon us.

You know something, I've followed the rules strictly all the way through, but this feels like the final straw. A real f**k it moment. I get the feeling a lot of folk feel the same. 

One of the most depressing parts about this is the fact you know it’s not going to be for 1 week. This will drag on well in to June for Glasgow because we still just won’t know. Before your Lanarkshires, Renfrewshire’s etc also get punted back to level 3.

Dont worry though everyone you still behaved yourselves over winter so you can have your 12,000 fans at Hampden for the Euros, BUT then back to nobody at any grounds in August because we just don’t know..

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

"A source said..."

Whenever you read that in one of the rags like the Record or the Sun you can be almost guaranteed that the "journalist" has made up the quote.

For some context, it would be good if they could tell us how many millions of people who have been vaccinated aren't in hospital?

It also rapidly climbs down from original claim,  Only one who has had both does and nothing about how long its been since the 2nd dose.    

This isn't the vaccines don't work against variant claim,  this is vaccines pretty much performing as expected. 

I'm far from convinced every person I saw interviewed on tv yesterday were SNP voters to be fair. I'm not sure it's as nuanced as that despite it appearing that way at times on here. There is ZERO opposition or push back to any of this by ANY political party. It appears to me to be unanimously accepted politically. That simply isn't healthy.

There is very little opportunity for push back by the public either. We might talk about the "f**k it I'm done with following these restrictions" attitude and let's face it the vast majority of us that post on here have been meeting family etc indoors if posts are to be believed (brother coming for the cup final and dinner today before anyone asks) but short of that there is very little else joe public can do to "rebel". There will be no civil unrest in Scotland or anywhere else in the UK (NI but for all the wrong reasons) that can be guaranteed.

To be fair there is little need for civil unrest. To most of us, missing the football, pubs, gigs etc is inconvenient, however not being able to meet family and friends indoors is utterly devastating. It’s quite fortunate really that the toughest restriction is the easiest one to quietly break.

There will be no mass protests imo, just a breakdown in compliance to the point where nearly everyone is just ignoring the ban on household gatherings.

It really perplexes me why there is protests/marches/vigils at the drop of a hat for almost anything, yet there has been no civil unrest about us being restricted for over a year now. Even more so now that deaths from covid are so minuscule. A strange mindset from the UK people in all honesty 

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Most SNP voters I know are massively pissed off about the announcement yesterday, to be fair.  

26 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Source please??

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-hospital-indian-variant-despite-24113860

Scots in hospital with Indian variant despite being vaccinated against Covid

There are believed to be six patients – who have had the vaccine – currently being treated for complications suspected to be related to the variant.

"believed to be". Funny how we just don't know never applies when over caution is present. 

Meanwhile, here are the numbers of Indian variant cases published yesterday. 35 in Scotland.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-05-14/covid-where-are-the-indian-variant-hotspots-in-england

Just over 1300 in England. On proportional terms given population, around 3.5x more cases in England than in Scotland. 

And yet, no pronounced spike is hospitalisations as a result - still on the downward move.

Edited by Michael W

It really perplexes me why there is protests/marches/vigils at the drop of a hat for almost anything, yet there has been no civil unrest about us being restricted for over a year now. Even more so now that deaths from covid are so minuscule. A strange mindset from the UK people in all honesty 
Probably a lot to do with the radical anti vaxx elements seizing on every such protest to date. Also there doesn't appear to be massive support for that sort of action anytime it's been organised up to now. As I said earlier just look at last night's tv interviews with those in Glasgow directly affected...."it's for the best" !!!! Add in that 90% of people living outside Glasgow will be pretty much unaffected and like it or hate it we pretty much live in a I'm alright Jack society so they won't be caring a jot. Q the dozens of pics of folk drinking pints inside come Monday probably accompanied by cigar gifs !

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It really perplexes me why there is protests/marches/vigils at the drop of a hat for almost anything, yet there has been no civil unrest about us being restricted for over a year now. Even more so now that deaths from covid are so minuscule. A strange mindset from the Scottish people in all honesty 

FTFY.