Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Most of my thoughts on this latest shitshow have already been said on here tonight, but I genuinely feel so fucking sorry for the hospitality sector. 
Just this week at work I was in talking to a couple of pub owners who were over the moon at getting the place ready to open, ordering the stock and food, hiring new staff, pulling current staff off of furlough and turning down booking requests as they were full. 
To get that news tonight must have absolutely crushed them. I cannot understand why they are being punished for a rise in cases no where near them, and such cases are all in a relatively confined area. 
With no idea on if they can reopen a week later (let’s face it, numbers are still going to increase over the next few days) they are once again being absolutely shat on by NS and her advisors. Btw, we are 199 days on from the “16 day circuit breaker” where these places were last able to be open. 
Absolute shambles of a situation. 

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'm actually half tempted to phone Off the Ball and give "The Professor" a hard time of it but I bet they screen the calls.

"Well it looks like we have our first caller...and I mean ever because this is NOT a call-in show."

1 minute ago, resk said:

"Well it looks like we have our first caller...and I mean ever because this is NOT a call-in show."

Fairy nuff, but you know what I mean.

Unfortunately I can't invisage hearing "Here's an e-mail from Tam. His question for you is "why are you talking zero Covid pish, clownshoes?" on the show any time soon.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Fairy nuff, but you know what I mean.

Unfortunately I can't invisage hearing "Here's an e-mail from Tam. His question for you is "why are you talking zero Covid pish, clownshoes?" on the show any time soon.

Send it from Devithebam and sign it off accordingly.  That’ll confuse him.

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean - the vaccines clearly aren't good enough.

image.png.888485467bbed173702115aa54dbc474.png

image.png.607c51fbd82660be36796875c845f7fb.png

image.thumb.png.339cdd32b867c840e4f9fd87f343f4d1.png

It hardly takes Hetty fucking Wainthropp to correlate between the fully vaccinated sections of society and the case numbers/case rate increases.

I, for one, am absolutely amazed that the less vaccinated portions of society are the areas where cases are increasing slightly and the vaccinated age groups are staying low or even continuing to fall. 

We can't be sure 

My mum is exactly the same. Had both doses and it a proper curtain twitcher about the whole thing. 

Me and my dad both get our second on Tuesday. My grandad and mum have had both doses, as has my girlfriend and her mum.

I’d said the second I get my 2nd I’m ditching social distancing and my mum started crying claiming lockdown 3 was on its way because of this.

I’ve said if before but I get concern over a New strain, but we should only be looking at hospitalisation rates not new cases.

Glasgow will be in for a fortnight and Moray a week. That’s my prediction.

7 hours ago, Scosha said:

Most of my thoughts on this latest shitshow have already been said on here tonight, but I genuinely feel so fucking sorry for the hospitality sector. 
Just this week at work I was in talking to a couple of pub owners who were over the moon at getting the place ready to open, ordering the stock and food, hiring new staff, pulling current staff off of furlough and turning down booking requests as they were full. 
To get that news tonight must have absolutely crushed them. I cannot understand why they are being punished for a rise in cases no where near them, and such cases are all in a relatively confined area. 
With no idea on if they can reopen a week later (let’s face it, numbers are still going to increase over the next few days) they are once again being absolutely shat on by NS and her advisors. Btw, we are 199 days on from the “16 day circuit breaker” where these places were last able to be open. 
Absolute shambles of a situation. 

And you fucking KNOW these advisors are buying as much time as they can until the clocks go back to tell us again that seasonal respiratory illness is on the rise again so we'd better lockdown for another 3 months 'just to be sure'. 

It's so easily telegraphed at this point and it's soul crushing. 

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mind back at the start of this when the governments were worried about impact lockdowns would have on people....

Now we are changing measures at the last minute, with only vaguley assumed "data" to back up that something MIGHT happen, fully in the knowledge that the worst affected will be hospitality workers (again) and business owner.

What an absolute pile of shite this is. Iv wole up seething about it and I dont have skin in the game. Imagine waking up this morning as a pub owner in Glasgow. The callous way in which whese restrictions are now being thrown about is sickening. Not a minute longer than needed came directly from Nicola Sturgeons mouth. This is shameful.

And of course, not a single f**k is given about the impact this is having on people.

This. 

For all the rhetoric coming out of Glasgow through the week of how much of a good thing people did (not least by SNP politicians), you'd think that same level of concern for human impact would be on display when throwing an entire city under the bus in response to a very localised breakout.

Remember though, NS will 'never apologise for keeping people safe'. It's absolutely nonsensical and I'd love to see the cross section of people in Glasgow in acceptance of it. My guess is most are either rubbing their hands together at more furlough money or SNP can do no wrong 'independence at all and every cost' types. 

I'd also be interested to see what the reaction to yesterday's announcement would have been if Glasgow was sticking to level 3 under a Tory or Labour SG who enforced it.

I'd bet my last penny that people wouldn't be quite so readily accepting then. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean - the vaccines clearly aren't good enough.

image.png.888485467bbed173702115aa54dbc474.png

image.png.607c51fbd82660be36796875c845f7fb.png

image.thumb.png.339cdd32b867c840e4f9fd87f343f4d1.png

It hardly takes Hetty fucking Wainthropp to correlate between the fully vaccinated sections of society and the case numbers/case rate increases.

I, for one, am absolutely amazed that the less vaccinated portions of society are the areas where cases are increasing slightly and the vaccinated age groups are staying low or even continuing to fall. 

It also wouldn't surprise me if they actually see an increase in younger people with it as well. Not because of the deadly Indian variant, but because they'll  now be testing asymptomatic people because of increase in testing. 

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

It also wouldn't surprise me if they actually see an increase in younger people with it as well. Not because of the deadly Indian variant, but because they'll  now be testing asymptomatic people because of increase in testing. 

Course they will. But even if we see 100k young people with it, hospital cases will remain minimal as we know it doesn't affect young healthy people seriously. 

As evidenced by over 99% of cases in the past week being <65 years old and no corresponding increase in hospital cases. 

I can't tell if I'm more seething about the precedent this sets for how we'll handle these (inevitable) episodes or at the responses on twitter from folk saying it's absolutely fair game  because we just have to be super safe and cautious. 
How can people be okay with living like this? What chance have we got getting back to proper normality at the first available opportunity (or anytime in the foreseeable future) when a sizeable percentage of the public support what's (for the infection levels we're at) draconian measures with practically no logic backing them up whatsoever?
I just don't get it, I had a conversation with my mum a few weeks back and despite having both vaccines and being a rational person you can tell she's still in that but what if mindset. I don't know how we tackle that but farcical decisions like this certainly aren't going to help. 
It's this accurate depiction that gets me. TV news last night showed affected Glaswegians almost unanimously "it's the right decision" basically bar those who's actual livelihood is directly affected the majority of SM responses seem to back the decision (I tend to ignore the Red Hand FTP tag types mind) which brings us back to how this impacts folks lives. It's stunning to see students and 20 somethings accepting living like this but those interviews I saw did. Possibly it was edited that way to massage the message but it's an alien concept even to an younger at heart oldie like me.

Largely because they have nothing to lose with lockdown.
The government are still paying furlough. Jobs are not yet being lost at frightening levels. There's food in their fridge and the supermarkets are open. They probably don't have businesses to run and so don't have to worry about paying staff or rent or buying stock. The only thing they have to think about is themselves. It's human nature to be selfish like this. And many of them are genuinely afraid of dying because they've obsessed over every news item, facebook post and tweet for more than a year now. They see India and assume it'll happen here. And then they're being told repeatedly that vaccines aren't enough by herds of charlatans posing as legitimate scientists.
Their views are not important. Nobody in power will be listening to any of them so don't get overly worked up about it.
Which begs the question if all measures are to be lifted on 21 June why furlough is set to be available for months beyond that. Govt controls both those variables and they are diametrically opposed to each other.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 hours ago, Louis Litt said:
I can't tell if I'm more seething about the precedent this sets for how we'll handle these (inevitable) episodes or at the responses on twitter from folk saying it's absolutely fair game  because we just have to be super safe and cautious. 
How can people be okay with living like this? What chance have we got getting back to proper normality at the first available opportunity (or anytime in the foreseeable future) when a sizeable percentage of the public support what's (for the infection levels we're at) draconian measures with practically no logic backing them up whatsoever?
I just don't get it, I had a conversation with my mum a few weeks back and despite having both vaccines and being a rational person you can tell she's still in that but what if mindset. I don't know how we tackle that but farcical decisions like this certainly aren't going to help. 

It's this accurate depiction that gets me. TV news last night showed affected Glaswegians almost unanimously "it's the right decision" basically bar those who's actual livelihood is directly affected the majority of SM responses seem to back the decision (I tend to ignore the Red Hand FTP tag types mind) which brings us back to how this impacts folks lives. It's stunning to see students and 20 somethings accepting living like this but those interviews I saw did. Possibly it was edited that way to massage the message but it's an alien concept even to an younger at heart oldie like me.

Again though. This likely harks back to the sizeable number in the population who think that lending support to a political party also means not criticising them at any time or for anything. 

People who support the party in power should be the party's harshest critics and that simply doesn't happen. Not with the SNP up here and not with the Tories down south. A 'defend at all costs' mentality is both unhealthy and dangerous.