Coronavirus (COVID-19)

THERE’S NO FUCKING C IN POLLOKSHAWS. OR POLLOKSHIELDS. OR POLLOK. FFS. 
Pollokshaws being brought into things at all is especially a liberty, seeing as they have f**k all to do with anything, so far at least.

15 minutes ago, s_dog said:

They are sensational. The utter nonsense is expecting the Scottish Government not to be cautious now. Yes we've got vaccines, but they're clearly terrified that there will be an outbreak in the majority of under-50's who've still to be vaccinated and the numbers won't remain quite so sensational. FFS you don't need to agree with their cautious approach to see that?!

What are you on about here? Yes I can see that they’ve absolutely shat the bed without legitimate reason, that’s exactly what I’m complaining about?

4 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

The gritting thing is that Scotland could almost certainly now remove all restrictions to little or no negative effect and would be one of the world's success stories in doing so - full stadiums, people being served in bars/restaurants, people getting to see their families, rejuvenated hospitality and entertainment industries.

There's going to be a lot of 'look what you could have won' moments while the rUK reaps the political capital.

The Yanks don't seem to give a single f**k about 'vArIaNtZ oV cOnCeRn', just getting vaccines into folks arms and moving on with life. Wish we had more of that attitude, tbh.

Whilst I hope you are right, I see no way that the rise in positive results is halted, reversed, and back below 50 per 100k in a week or two.
ETA plus what [mention=76539]Empty It[/mention] said.

Our figs locally in South Ayrshire go up and down like a fiddlers elbow and it literally takes days to go from sub 10 to 50 and back. I'd still be reasonably hopeful this will be back in check by the holiday weekend.

6 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
33 minutes ago, Rugster said:
THERE’S NO FUCKING C IN POLLOKSHAWS. OR POLLOKSHIELDS. OR POLLOK. FFS. 

Pollokshaws being brought into things at all is especially a liberty, seeing as they have f**k all to do with anything, so far at least.

I actually typed Pollokshields initially and edited it to Pollockshaws 🙈

See the Daily Mail website quoting Sage scientist claiming 10,000 hospitalizations and 1000 deaths a day THIS SUMMER if the Indian variant gets a foothold. All that in the same article that explains it's not thought to be more deadly or vaccine evasive so HOW on earth can these alleged "professors" come up with these bonkers predictions.

SAGE says 'realistic' Indian variant could lead to 10,000 admissions https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9580159/SAGE-says-realistic-possibility-Indian-variant-lead-10-000-hospital-admissions-day.html?ito=native_share_article-top

51 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

You're still going to have to explain why any of this actually matters, given there is no evidence whatsoever of increased risk of serious illness and hospitalisation.

It was just a response to someone who said Pollokshaws  is "surrounded by areas literally unaffected currently". 

31 minutes ago, Left Back said:

How deluded are you?

They’ve totally shat the bed at the first hint of case numbers rising.  Anyone could predict this would happen and there would be outbreaks like this.  You don’t need to be a member of SAGE to know this.

I'm not the one who is deluded here.  I'm trying to give a reason why they are acting this way instead of just moaning about it. I don't completely agree with it, but I can see why a cautious Government is continuing to be cautious.

Yesterday or the day before they said they didn't think the numbers in Glasgow would make any difference to going into level 2 as it wasn't just case numbers that mattered. A day or two later, I'm betting its the possibility of it being the Indian variant that has them shitting the bed. It's been reported that it affects younger people more, so the fact most of the population under 50 hasn't been vaccinated will obviously have them worried.

Shouting about current hospital numbers doesn't change any of that. 

With any luck, next week won't see numbers continuing to rise, wait no, next week will see case numbers rise but hospital numbers won't budge and all this greeting on here will be for nothing.

Edited by s_dog

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

I get that short notice is a problem but Sturgeon said Glasgow and Moray will remain at 3  for at least a week. By my reckoning, best case, they’re in 2 next Friday so prepare for fans being in and if extended cancel it. Too simple? Maybe. 

For all it’s worth for 600 which is also a disgrace, by the way. 

The last time she put the west of Scotland up a tier for 'at least a week', it lasted fucking months.

5 minutes ago, s_dog said:

It's been reported that it affects younger people more, so the fact most of the population under 50 hasn't been vaccinated will obviously have them worried.

Where is the evidence that supports this claim?

6 minutes ago, s_dog said:

With any luck, next week won't see numbers continuing to rise, wait no, next week will see case numbers rise but hospital numbers won't budge and all this greeting on here will be for nothing.

Based on what?  There is nothing the government have said or done during this pandemic that would make this a reasonable statement.

I don't think there's any overwhelming evidence as the focus in India has obviously been on deaths, just seen news reports such as "'Significantly greater threat' to young adults and children from Indian Covid variant" that makes me think this is why the Gov in the UK and Scotland are a bit worried about it.

Not sure what you mean 'based on what'?

I don't think there's any overwhelming evidence as the focus in India has obviously been on deaths, just seen news reports such as "'Significantly greater threat' to young adults and children from Indian Covid variant" that makes me think this is why the Gov in the UK and Scotland are a bit worried about it.

Significant to young adults and children “ f**k me i wonder why that is.....

1 minute ago, s_dog said:

Based on there being zero examples of the government being in any rush to unlock restrictions.

4 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Significant to young adults and children “ f**k me i wonder why that is.....

No evidence to support anything.  These are anecdotal claims coming out of India.  Should we be basing policy based on the “scientific” evidence coming from India?  The same India who said something along the lines of “we’ve nailed this in our country, epidemic over” a couple of months ago and wanted the WHO to applaud them for how well they’d done?

6 minutes ago, s_dog said:

This isn't a go at you but but I'm far from certain that basing our response on what is happening in a country where hospitals are struggling to supply basic care, has huge poverty issues and has vaccinated a very small proportion of the adult population is the way forward.