Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Nah, they could've decided to go ahead with the move to level 2 despite the concerns, then shut things down a week after opening them when the figures get even worse next week. That would cause even more hassle for everyone. Besides, they've been pretty cautious all along, immaterial of whether you agree with that approach or not, it's no surprise they chose to continue to be cautious today.

Except to a few people here obviously. 

Which figures do you expect to get worse next week?

3 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Nah, they could've decided to go ahead with the move to level 2 despite the concerns, then shut things down a week after opening them when the figures get even worse next week. That would cause even more hassle for everyone. Besides, they've been pretty cautious all along, immaterial of whether you agree with that approach or not, it's no surprise they chose to continue to be cautious today.

Except to a few people here obviously. 

I mean I started to reply but... 

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

The figures that actually matter are fucking sensational. If anything higher case numbers which don’t translate to serious illness or death is actually a massive good news story, and certainly shouldn’t be holding back easing of restrictions. This utter nonsense above is infuriating.

Basically this. 

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

According to a tweet by BBC reporter Chris McLaughlin, clinical director Leitch has admitted the prospect of supporters inside Hampden for the showpiece event on May 22 is in serious doubt...

Hibs fans will now be waiting for confirmation either way, with manager Jack Ross saying earlier today that he was 'baffled' by the decision to award just 600 tickets for the game.

Its almost as if there is no vaccination program taking place.

The SFA have already confirmed no fans at the game. 

Truly gutted for the businesses in Glasgow that will be affected by pathetic decisions once again. The days when restrictions were there to "protect the NHS" seem long gone. Locking down a city because a few folk have a cough is disgusting. The elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated, how honestly cares if someone has a cough and is tired for a few days? This farce has went on long enough

I get that short notice is a problem but Sturgeon said Glasgow and Moray will remain at 3  for at least a week. By my reckoning, best case, they’re in 2 next Friday so prepare for fans being in and if extended cancel it. Too simple? Maybe. 

For all it’s worth for 600 which is also a disgrace, by the way. 

42 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Asked if having fans at the final was now under significant risk, Professor Leitch said: "I think it is. We need to sit down with them and I wouldn't want to make that decision outwith talking to ministers and the SFA

Why is he getting to make that decision?

Leitch is a gimp, but it's good to see him put the "rent free lol" brigade back into their box by making it absolutely clear that anyone getting annoyed by his mewling pish is doing so legitimately.

Advisors should be nowhere near the decision making process.

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

No-mark losers like yourself don't get to decide the rules of the game champ. Get back in your box. 

A guy who spends his whole miserable life on a football forum calling someone a loser.

Edited by Glen Sannox

If everywhere is level 3 then travel restrictions are pointless, it's the moving from a lower level to a higher level they want to stop.

I'm just surprised that this time they've not lumped the People's Republic of North Lanarkshire and surrounding areas in with Glasgow this time.
That will come, which is partly why I'm so pissed of at this.

Lanarkshire and Glasgow have been pretty much neck and neck in terms of cases per 100k. Today's decision sets a dangerous precedent. If Lanarkshire hasn't been back in level 3, or worse, by the end of summer I'll be (pleasantly) surprised.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

I get that short notice is a problem but Sturgeon said Glasgow and Moray will remain at 3  for at least a week. By my reckoning, best case, they’re in 2 next Friday so prepare for fans being in and if extended cancel it. Too simple? Maybe. 

For all it’s worth for 600 which is also a disgrace, by the way. 

No chance. The scenario is comparable with Aberdeen last August. Which was 4 weeks IIRC.

Farcical.

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

It wouldn’t surprise me to see riots and huge protests happening in a few months time if they keep up with changing restrictions like with Glasgow and Moray. 

You get riots in Glasgow regardless.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's fair enough, but someone fired on the cases map yesterday. Pollockshaws East and West are surrounded by areas literally unaffected currently. So you can essentially still travel internally within a city that is almost completely unaffected outwith 3 areas. 

Surely in a city of over half a million that is reckless and dangerous if you believe their narrative that safety is paramount and this outbreak is a major concern to public health. 

The no travel in and out of Glasgow does seem a bit bizarre. It's from Monday right? Which is great 'cos we've got a meal booked this weekend in sunny Ayrshire, but then can't leave Glasgow from Monday. 

It's not true that the rest of the city is almost completely unaffected though, you can see other areas in the south side are starting to increase. Nothing like Pollockshaws and the numbers are still pretty small. Most places had single figures for cases in a week, but Pollockshaws in the space of a week have jumped from 7-9 to 44-47.  This is the Glasgow map from last week to this week.

glasgow.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

It wouldn’t surprise me to see riots and huge protests happening in a few months time if they keep up with changing restrictions like with Glasgow and Moray. 

It would surprise me. 

It seems to have been a common theme of Sturgeon's leadership to defer to absolutely hopeless advisory circles on key issues; in this case, Leitch and Sridhar who have been given free reign to not just shit the bed umpteen times, but shit all over people and businesses with their Helen Lovejoy clown car act.

Are these people incapable of any kind of comparative research, or reacting to important events and developments? There's an abundance of evidence from countries who have taken one approach or another (i.e. much of the USA sticking their fingers in their ears and opening sports venues to full capacity, to New Zealand who have practically locked themselves away for 16 months).

The one constant is that vaccinations are having a resounding effect on limiting deaths and serious illness, taking Covid from a novel virus with no known treatments or cure to something that is firmly under the control of those countries with an active vaccination programme. This was what governments were tasked with in March 2020 - continuing restrictions are not only pointless and damaging but well beyond their brief.