Coronavirus (COVID-19)

34 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im posting this screenshot i received, the context ive heard is that its part of an email sent to GP surgeries in Glasgow, it was circulating on a whatsapp group for doctors. That said I’ve not seen the full email so can only offer it in the manner it was sent to me. What I would say is that if the decision to delay moving down a level is delayed its absolutely scandalous. I cant get the neighbourhoods section of the infection map to open, but can anyone see a marked rise in the area mentioned who can make it work?

9FB7FEEC-0331-4CF3-B186-C0167FA5DF7D.jpeg

Small thing but why would a cart blanche email read dear colleague rather than dear colleagues because if it was just one person you would use their name.

Also test kits are available online and that is likely where patients would be pointed to.

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think behind the volume ID it said ‘ AND eid’ which yes doesnt happen til thursday? That said i hope it is fake. Surely someone will be able to check the stats for the southside case rates? If it is a real email then its a disgrace in my view. 
Qualify by saying ive not noticed any significant rise in social mixing, but if this is the sort of thing circulating in medical circles then is it clear evidence of scare tactics?

eta just had clarification that it IS genuine. (Apparently the person who has taken the screenshot and posted it on a dr’s whatsapp group is a GP in Glasgow). 

Looks like both Pollokshields are 400+

Untitled-4.png

Eid is today, isn't it? 

I don't think it's a stretch to say that families will meet together in the run up to it tbh. And fair enough too - many wont have seen their families for a while. 

As long as people don't take the piss I have no problem with it, even if guidance officially says no. 

Edited by Michael W

26 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Looks like both Pollokshields are 400+

The cases have been higher in Moray but maybe appear to be levelling off now? Elgin & Keith were both 400+ but they're both now in the 300+ range and other areas 200+. The concern there is the amount of community transmission (3.3% test positivity). But I was slightly surprised they didn't raise any concerns about the increases in certain areas of Glasgow at the press briefing yesterday (2.5% test positivity).

It was originally just central Easterhouse that was 400+ (now 500+, but the other areas of Easterhouse are still low, so maybe a single outbreak?). The cases have jumped over in the South side now though, I've no idea if its related to Eid or not, but it's definitely on the increase as it's centred around Pollokshields and nearby Govanhill is 200+, but more and more areas of the city are starting to show up. 

Edit: Probably the 100-200 cases is just to be expected with less restrictions, it's when places go above the 3-400 it's a concern.

Edited by s_dog

23 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Eid is today, isn't it? 

I don't think it's a stretch to say that families will meet together in the run up to it tbh. And fair enough too - many wont have seen their families for a while. 

As long as people don't take the piss I have no problem with it, even if guidance officially says no. 

Tomorrow, fasting ends tonight

Edited by Tight minge

Sky right now reporting on case rises across 28 authorities in the NW of England. Some have test positivity back above 5% and report saying that local measures may need to be reimposed if the trends continue.

What did they honestly expect as measures relax and when does cases / positivity stop being the trigger metric ?

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Sky right now reporting on case rises across 28 authorities in the NW of England. Some have test positivity back above 5% and report saying that local measures may need to be reimposed if the trends continue.

What did they honestly expect as measures relax and when does cases / positivity stop being the trigger metric ?

They have a whole load of metrics but only look at one.  

BBC now have a graph saying Glasgow is above level 3 for cases but with no other context.

We need to get out of X cases shut stuff down very very quickly or we will never get anything anywhere near normality. The Moray discussion yesterday depressed the hell out of me. 

BBC now have a graph saying Glasgow is above level 3 for cases but with no other context.
We need to get out of X cases shut stuff down very very quickly or we will never get anything anywhere near normality. The Moray discussion yesterday depressed the hell out of me. 
It's also the responsibility of the media not to spark panic but so far all outlets seem determined to bring every single incidence into the glare of the public spotlight and thus putting pressure on the authorities to take action . Going to be a frustrating up down in out situation as things open up by the looks of it.

4 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Can see it coming.  punt Glasgow back into level 3 before the cup final to solve the crowd problem.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

It seems sensible advice not to be hugging strangers to be fair but whether we need to be told that is debatable.

Why would anyone want to hug random strangers in the first place? 

Can see it coming.  punt Glasgow back into level 3 before the cup final to solve the crowd problem.
Biggest issue will be if travel in and out is restricted again. With stuff open folk will have booked restaurants, hotels etc in the city (I have for next bank holiday weekend) from outwith.

The cases have been higher in Moray but maybe appear to be levelling off now? Elgin & Keith were both 400+ but they're both now in the 300+ range and other areas 200+. The concern there is the amount of community transmission (3.3% test positivity). But I was slightly surprised they didn't raise any concerns about the increases in certain areas of Glasgow at the press briefing yesterday (2.5% test positivity).
It was originally just central Easterhouse that was 400+ (now 500+, but the other areas of Easterhouse are still low, so maybe a single outbreak?). The cases have jumped over in the South side now though, I've no idea if its related to Eid or not, but it's definitely on the increase as it's centred around Pollokshields and nearby Govanhill is 200+, but more and more areas of the city are starting to show up. 
Edit: Probably the 100-200 cases is just to be expected with less restrictions, it's when places go above the 3-400 it's a concern.
R rate in Glasgow is virtually 2 at the moment.
Obviously this is over last 7 days of data only where cases have doubled.
Will be very interesting next couple of days of figures to see if it quickly plateaus or continues upwards.

So, in the week or so leading up to the next relaxation:

1) "Highland variant" announced 

2) Indian variant designates as a variant of concern by PHE

3) Concern being raised over case numbers in certain regions with zero context of how this feeds into a wider impact - hospitalisations etc. 

Meanwhile cases rates are stable and hospitalisations continue to reduce. I get that there are things that need to be publicised but the focus on case numbers only continues to be depressing given the vaccine rollout. 

Every single relaxation is also preceded by an outpouring of negativity and doom, and that the government should reconsider. 

Edited by Michael W