Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm not convinced it had one tbh. It just so happened to be the most common strain at the time where respiratory viruses tend to spread more rapidly.

Good point. I guess the original data we got coming out of Italy showed an R0 of 2.5-3 and cases doubling twice per week under little to no restrictions, however this was in March where the weather is more similar to May in the UK (i.e. not a time when respiratory viruses have the upper hand)

So seeing an R number in the region of 4-5 (which obviously never actually happened, but if we adjust up to remove the impact of restrictions/behaviour...) over Christmas and into January here could just suggest that it’s seasonality rather than B117 being inherently more transmissible. Thankfully we will never get an apples to apples comparison because it had been nicely suppressed by March 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57073312

One of the more sane articles seen in the MSM of late. Hopefully they keep this tone going rather than trying to scare people unnecessarily.

That Christina Pagel creature is constantly and unrelentingly negative though. Clearly fancies a bit of the profile others of her ilk have had.

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Did you read either of those links before posting?

The first of them repeatedly uses the phrase "It's too early to tell" and the second talks about TWO police officers out of the hundreds on duty.

Super spreader events my arse. Jeezo.:lol:

It’s a fitba forum - I was not being serious, just having a cheeky dig at the policing of the Zombies. Next time I will put a 🤣 next to my links.

Now with the Zombies planning on more title winning mass celebrations. It’s time for the Scottish polis to take the necessary steps.

Bring out the dugs! 😆

CFE64BB0-4E14-4836-AFED-B9D36E350491.jpeg.f0c312bc14ddd95495b8d14685ec7fc8.jpeg

55 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57073312

One of the more sane articles seen in the MSM of late. Hopefully they keep this tone going rather than trying to scare people unnecessarily.

That Christina Pagel creature is constantly and unrelentingly negative though. Clearly fancies a bit of the profile others of her ilk have had.

Nick Triggle is very good, tbf. Definitely rooted in realism and knows this will pass, and that it's not the end times.

As has been said before, Pagel and the rest of iSAGE cult can be fired in the skip. They're sociopaths.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That article headline is an absolute disgrace.

The article does NOT say that continued removal of restrictions would cause a peak.

It says that another peak could occur IF a new variant emerges. Well duh! Of course it could but that's not what the headline was describing.

It's pure clickbait.

Yup, my only surprise was that it wasn't written by that Thomas Moore creature. Even Neil Ferguson is supremely confident now FFS.

Pagel was unsurprisingly fuming at the nightclub experiment in Liverpool, culminating in a fantastic lack of self awareness where she said that were her housemate attending, said housemate should first obtain her consent before going. A fine insight here into the arrogant mindset some of these people have. A total crackpot. 

She wants no further relaxations until September when all adults are double dosed, and will then no doubt announce winter is coming so we can't relax anything now because we just don't know! And then she wants the borders shut too becuae vaccinated people travelling is just too much of a risk. 

She's bumped herself ahead of Leitch and Sridhar in the queue to be fired into the Firth of Forth from Mons Meg. 

Edited by Michael W

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That article headline is an absolute disgrace.

The article does NOT say that continued removal of restrictions would cause a peak.

It says that another peak could occur IF a new variant emerges. Well duh! Of course it could but that's not what the headline was describing.

It's pure clickbait.

Not how I read it  - the article says that a 3rd wave could be substantially  higher if a new variant appears, not that a 3rd wave would be dependant on it

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Does the article agree with the headline or do you agree that the headline is clickbait?

I honestly don't think the headline is far from the content.  Where do you think they are far apart?

57 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

FFS. Makes you wonder what kind of person deliberately spreads misinformation about this sort of thing.

'Independent SAGE'?

41 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not how I read it  - the article says that a 3rd wave could be substantially  higher if a new variant appears, not that a 3rd wave would be dependant on it

An entirely new pandemic could arise at any time as well. I think we should just become a hermit species until the end of time - just for safety, mind.

Im posting this screenshot i received, the context ive heard is that its part of an email sent to GP surgeries in Glasgow, it was circulating on a whatsapp group for doctors. That said I’ve not seen the full email so can only offer it in the manner it was sent to me. What I would say is that if the decision to delay moving down a level is delayed its absolutely scandalous. I cant get the neighbourhoods section of the infection map to open, but can anyone see a marked rise in the area mentioned who can make it work?

9FB7FEEC-0331-4CF3-B186-C0167FA5DF7D.jpeg

Im posting this screenshot i received, the context ive heard is that its part of an email sent to GP surgeries in Glasgow, it was circulating on a whatsapp group for doctors. That said I’ve not seen the full email so can only offer it in the manner it was sent to me. What I would say is that if the decision to delay moving down a level is delayed its absolutely scandalous. I cant get the neighbourhoods section of the infection map to open, but can anyone see a marked rise in the area mentioned who can make it work?
9FB7FEEC-0331-4CF3-B186-C0167FA5DF7D.thumb.jpeg.2b1c292000474721635f673277b8a39b.jpeg

Given that Eid hasn’t even happened yet I’m going to suggest that this is fake as f**k

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Given that Eid hasn’t even happened yet I’m going to suggest that this is fake as f**k

I think behind the volume ID it said ‘ AND eid’ which yes doesnt happen til thursday? That said i hope it is fake. Surely someone will be able to check the stats for the southside case rates? If it is a real email then its a disgrace in my view. 
Qualify by saying ive not noticed any significant rise in social mixing, but if this is the sort of thing circulating in medical circles then is it clear evidence of scare tactics?

eta just had clarification that it IS genuine. (Apparently the person who has taken the screenshot and posted it on a dr’s whatsapp group is a GP in Glasgow). 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod