Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Also they mentioned on the radio report that Moray has seen increased hospitalisations from their outbreak. Anyone have any figures on this? Is it a tiny increase being blown out of proportion, and is it in non-vaccinated population/age group?

Unavailable for Moray specifically, but NHS Grampian is showing as 11 currently in hospital, less than 5 in ICU (no specific numbers as it could become identifiable). It was as high as 17 last week, up from less than 5 (again, no specific number given) at the start of April.

It isn’t great, it really is entirely against the general trend. GG&C for example have went from 84 in hospital to 27 in the same timeframe. But it’s pretty small numbers.

Nothing to be alarmed about but exactly the kind of thing for public health officials to jump on and try to help with.

4 hours ago, 101 said:

cant go round a beer garden hugging everyone. 

Good luck with that when Christian Doidge bangs in the winner at Hampden next weekend. 

44 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Would be bang in line with the cautious approach to date to bin SD, but cap attendances at, say, 25% just to be sure.

That's what will happen I reckon. SD binned in the context of restaurants and pubs, but still being employed at sports events and gigs.

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

That's what will happen I reckon. SD binned in the context of restaurants and pubs, but still being employed at sports events and gigs.

Going to be absolutely hilarious if there are one way systems in operation im wide open outdoor spaces for any outdoor events in the summer.

Guest Bob Mahelp
43 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I keep hearing this, but repetition doesn’t make it any more accurate. Certainly as far as the hospitality, live music, events and performing arts sectors go, Scotland has enjoyed / suffered considerably more onerous restrictions than England, and continues to do so. 

I was in a Zoom meeting this morning with 275 live music venues throughout the U.K., and while our English counterparts are looking forward to 1m+ social distancing for live performance from 17th May and the complete binning of social distancing on 21st June, with venues operating at 100% capacity thereafter, the Scottish contingent were much more downbeat with no such timetable for the lifting of restrictions being outlined to date by the Scottish government. Indeed Sturgeon has today doubled down on the anomalous situation that while 1m+ SD is good enough for retail, hospitality etc. the considerably more onerous 2m condition must be imposed for live music, theatre, comedy, cabaret and indeed any live performance, at least until the SG review into social distancing has concluded and reported back with its findings.

The upshot of all this is that the vast majority of Scottish music venues, theatres etc. will remain closed on 17th May, while their English counterparts reopen under the Revive Live banner, with 5 weeks of lighter touch restrictions (compared to Scotland) leading into (largely) restriction-free trading from 21st June. A recent survey of Scottish venues suggested that 16% capacity was a typical ceiling given 2m social distancing, so 2000 capacity venues could accommodate approx 320 and 200 capacity venues approx 32. Clearly no live music or performing arts events will be viable given these draconian conditions, so Scottish venues are largely electing to stay closed just as English venues open up.

I run a bar / restaurant / live music venue (as well as a nightclub) and the current restrictions in Scotland effectively discriminate against live music, as we can operate with a significantly larger capacity (with 1m+ SD) as a bar and restaurant only, but have to slash our capacity (from that already low level) if we programme live music. This is a nonsensical distinction and one that (presumably) can’t be maintained for very long, as legal challenges will most assuredly follow.

Notwithstanding the 2m / 1m+ inconsistency, and the imminent ditching of SD in England, Scottish hospitality outlets are subject to curfews (10.30pm in Tier 2, 11.00pm in Tier 1) that are not imposed on our English counterparts, who can enjoy normal licensing hours from 17th May. Groups of 6 from 3 will be allowed in Scottish hospitality outlets from 17th May with 6 from 6 permitted in England. Scottish nightclubs aren’t even allowed to open in Tier 0 (unless they repurpose as a ‘socially distanced music bar’), so spare me the suggestion that Tier 0 merely involves a few minor ongoing restrictions. 

I’d love to join in the general optimism about SD being completely binned in Scotland after the current review, but given the Scottish government’s stubbornness on this issue, and it’s desire to position itself as much more ‘safety first’ than England, I’ll believe it when I see it. Pressure is being exerted on SG from all sides of the arts, events and hospitality sectors at the moment, so I expect to see some movement soon, but any concessions won will be gained through constant pressure brought to bear on an administration whose natural inclination is to move very slowly indeed when it comes to relaxing restrictions.

Good post.

The problem is that the majority of the Scottish public support the SG's safety first approach. There's really no pressure on the SG (at the moment) to change. 

Change is actually coming at the rate it is because England are moving faster than us....if it wasn't for that you can pretty much guarantee that we would be removing restrictions at an even slower pace. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Good post.

The problem is that the majority of the Scottish public support the SG's safety first approach. There's really no pressure on the SG (at the moment) to change. 

Change is actually coming at the rate it is because England are moving faster than us....if it wasn't for that you can pretty much guarantee that we would be removing restrictions at an even slower pace. 

Is there not? I believe the economic pressure is hitting home every single day, particularly for a government that will need to win the economic argument to win a future independence referendum.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If it WAS an outdoor spreader event then it'll be about the first.

I'm not aware of ANY major outdoor gathering (and there have been thousands of them across the UK parks, beaches etc) which has been proven to have definitively caused a substantial spread of covid.

Has there been one?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/rangers-fans-test-positive-coronavirus-23725298

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56465540

“The SFA have submitted a request to the Scottish Government to allow between 1,500 and 3,000 fans into the Scottish Cup final”
That's pathetic.
Have they said why they are only pushing for such a low figure. If the work was that restrictive it should be moved. There is zero restriction Covid wise preventing the SFA for applying to allow more in.

We will never move forward at anything bar a snails pace without their being a will / intent to do so.

Your determined this is the SGs fault no matter what and are building a strawman argument based on that position. It would be valid IF the SFA come out and say that the reason there is no crowds is down to the timing of SGs announcement but they quite simply haven't. As it stands they are determined to have it at Hampden whether that be contractual or through belligerence.

ETA irrelevant now the SFA have backtracked (UEFA have relented) and crowd will be at Hampden so it was hee haw to do with the SG after all.
Throughout all this the SFA have played pass the buck and been very passive.

It's in sharp contrast with the FA who seem to have a hotline to no 10.

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not aware of ANY major outdoor gathering (and there have been thousands of them across the UK parks, beaches etc) which has been proven to have definitively caused a substantial spread of covid.

Has there been one?

Perhaps I should have said that was a packed-out big marquee thing in said beer garden.

Indoors-yet-outdoors affair.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Have they said why they are only pushing for such a low figure. If the work was that restrictive it should be moved. There is zero restriction Covid wise preventing the SFA for applying to allow more in.

We will never move forward at anything bar a snails pace without their being a will / intent to do so.
ETA STV saying UEFA are stipulating the crowd limit as they are in effect in control of the stadium come the final !

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Unavailable for Moray specifically, but NHS Grampian is showing as 11 currently in hospital, less than 5 in ICU (no specific numbers as it could become identifiable). It was as high as 17 last week, up from less than 5 (again, no specific number given) at the start of April.

It isn’t great, it really is entirely against the general trend. GG&C for example have went from 84 in hospital to 27 in the same timeframe. But it’s pretty small numbers.

Nothing to be alarmed about but exactly the kind of thing for public health officials to jump on and try to help with.

Dr Gray's in Elgin is a green site, all confirmed cases are transferred to Aberdeen.

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Has there been one?

I don’t think so. There was a story last month about possible spikes in Florida after NFL games (and that was with mostly empty open air stadiums) but that was largely pre-vaccination. 

It’ll be interesting to see if there’s any follow up to the full stadiums there have been in Texas for recent events.

https://theconversation.com/baseball-stadiums-are-filling-up-but-an-analysis-of-the-nfls-2020-season-holds-a-warning-about-covid-19-case-spikes-157534

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Based on what @realmadrid has said, large swathes of Hampden are out of commission due to the work UEFA are doing.

"Large Swathes"

Hampden has an abundance of turnstyles, stairwells, and a walkway that runs from one end of the South Stand all round the ground to the other end.

I can't imagine UEFA are working on the concourses. It'll be work in the hospitality suites and getting broadcast booths ready. They will be doing next to nothing outwith the main stand.

1,500 - 3,000 is a disgrace. People will blame the SFA but, given it's 11 days away and the SG need to agree to it, the SFA will only ask for what they feel they will get approved.

If 5% capacity is the most they think they can get approved, then I understand why the SFA were reluctant to move the final. It's simply not worth renting the likes of Pittodrie, paying for enhanced stewarding etc, then crossing your fingers you are allowed to sell at most 1,000 tickets.