Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just out of interest, how many folks here have actually been tested for Covid during this whole pandemic ?

The reason I ask is that virtually nobody I know (including myself) have ever had a test and just wondered if that was the same across the board ?? Having said that, I've never felt unwell so no need to be getting a test and I certainly wouldn't be getting one if I had a few sniffles, especially in the Summer, given that I've got pretty bad hay fever.

We appear to put great faith in "the stats" but surely they don't tell anything like the true story especially when so many show no symptoms.

The point I'd again make, is that the ONLY stats worth bothering about are the amount of people in hospital, the amount in ICU and the amount then dying as the rest is really just a rough guide as to community transmission and really means nothing if a "bad cold" is going to be the normal outcome of contracting this virus.

As others have said, things have moved on, we're not India and we have the majority of the country vaccinated including all of those deemed as vulnerable so I'm now at the stage where I've no idea what the "end game" is likely to be as surely we can't be living half a life for the next 10 years, 20 years or even indefinitely......

Edited by WATTOO

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Just out of interest, how many folks here have actually been tested for Covid during this whole pandemic ?

The reason I ask is that virtually nobody I know (including myself) have ever had a test and just wondered if that was the same across the board ?? Having said that I've never felt unwell so no need to be getting a test and I certainly wouldn't be getting one if I had a few sniffles, especially in the Summer, given that I've got pretty bad hay fever.

We appear to put great faith in "the stats" but surely they don't tell anything like the true story especially when so many show no symptoms.

I'm in the same boat as you.  A few of my mates had to get tested when they went on holiday abroad last year.  Apart from them I only know one person who has been for a test due to having symptoms.  It came back positive.

I'm in the same boat as you.  A few of my mates had to get tested when they went on holiday abroad last year.  Apart from them I only know one person who has been for a test due to having symptoms.  It came back positive.
You wonder how many asymptomatic cases overseas teavel testing will throw up if the demand is as anticipated. Thousands who have never had any reason to be tested will have to submit to a series of PCR test.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You wonder how many asymptomatic cases overseas teavel testing will throw up if the demand is as anticipated. Thousands who have never had any reason to be tested will have to submit to a series of PCR test.

I'm dying to get abroad, however this is one of the things putting me off, what happens if one of your party tests positive ? basically the whole holiday is ruined for everyone so you not only lose out on the holiday but also the additional testing costs, not to mention the upheaval with the change of plans and potentially car parking costs, transfers, hotel and flights all for nothing.

I've a couple of Spanish and Polish trips booked for September but just hoping things are a bit different by then, however I'm sure I said that this time last year as well !!

Let's be honest, if 2021 was a write off, 2022 is heading for a write off, then why does anyone think 2023 or 2024 should be any different ???

By September the UK and most of Europe should be fully vaccinated, so if there's still restrictions in place at this time, then basically we're screwed long term I'd say and we can kiss goodbye to the aviation industry and much of the tourism / hospitality industry both here and the likes of the Algarve, Costa Del Sol etc.

If that happens, Covid will be the least of our worries....

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I doubt it will be that many.  About a third of people are supposed to be asymptomatic.  Across the UK is about 2000 cases per day so max would be about a third of that surely.  Seeing as not everyone will be going abroad and getting tested I'd be surprised if it was more than a blip.

I doubt it will be that many.  About a third of people are supposed to be asymptomatic.  Across the UK is about 2000 cases per day so max would be about a third of that surely.  Seeing as not everyone will be going abroad and getting tested I'd be surprised if it was more than a blip.
We will see but it will mean people who otherwise would have no reason to be tested to do so.

I'm dying to get abroad, however this is one of the things putting me off, what happens if one of your party tests positive ? basically the whole holiday is ruined for everyone so you not only lose out on the holiday but also the additional testing costs, not to mention the upheaval with the change of plans and potentially car parking costs, transfers, hotel and flights all for nothing.
I've a couple of Spanish and Polish trips booked for September but just hoping things are a bit different by then, however I'm sure I said that this time last year as well !!
Let's be honest, if 2021 was a write off, 2022 is heading for a write off, then why does anyone think 2023 or 2024 should be any different ???
By September the UK and most of Europe should be fully vaccinated, so if there's still restrictions in place at this time, then basically we're screwed long term I'd say and we can kiss goodbye to the aviation industry and much of the tourism / hospitality industry both here and the likes of the Algarve, Costa Del Sol etc.
Very similar. I had refunds and we have 2 weeks off in July so probably be a very last minute thing to see if restrictions lift. Next holiday then end November although I have rolled forward tickets for Longchamp racing in October. I'm pretty hopeful for those later dates

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Very similar. I had refunds and we have 2 weeks off in July so probably be a very last minute thing to see if restrictions lift. Next holiday then end November although I have rolled forward tickets for Longchamp racing in October. I'm pretty hopeful for those later dates

Hopefully that will ENABLE you to go.

I've been tested once, back in October. Inputted my symptoms (a cough) into the NHS app and got the dreaded red flash telling me to isolate and get tested, which I did. I was pretty confident I didn't have it and so haven't entered any symptoms into the app since when I've had a cough because it seems like overkill. If there were other symptoms too then yes I'd go and get tested. 

Test was negative, although I had to chase them for my result. 

I only know a handful people that have been tested. In most cases this was because they had to go into hospital for one reason or another and therefore this was mandatory. 

53 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The reason I ask is that virtually nobody I know (including myself) have ever had a test and just wondered if that was the same across the board ?? Having said that, I've never felt unwell so no need to be getting a test and I certainly wouldn't be getting one if I had a few sniffles, especially in the Summer, given that I've got pretty bad hay fever.

The point I'd again make, is that the ONLY stats worth bothering about are the amount of people in hospital, the amount in ICU and the amount then dying as the rest is really just a rough guide as to community transmission and really means nothing if a "bad cold" is going to be the normal outcome of contracting this virus.

As others have said, things have moved on, we're not India and we have the majority of the country vaccinated including all of those deemed as vulnerable so I'm now at the stage where I've no idea what the "end game" is likely to be as surely we can't be living half a life for the next 10 years, 20 years or even indefinitely......

Ive not met anyone whos gone for one of those random ‘walk in’ tests. Cant help but think theres quite a lot of folks who at the first sign of a sniffle are going for tests to get time off work. 

3 of my friends had to get tested.
My girlfriend and mum both get weekly tests due to their work.

Friends mother and partner both tested positive with one ending up on a ventilator.

Girlfriends gran tested positive before her death. She was on her way out with cancer but the Covid finished her off.

Out of my friends who had a positive result only one had a positive test. Caught it Christmas Day, as did everyone who was at theirs for a meal. He said he was bedbound with a temperature lack of taste and a cough for 4 days while his girlfriend and daughter were Perfectly well.

I've been tested umpteen times through work.

Twice I've got an NHS test due to contact with positive cases identified by the Protect Scotland app and another due to displaying symptoms (negative).

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Sounds like someone's had enough of experts. We just need common sense. 

54 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

that's kinda what I've been saying the whole time, who the f**k would book under those conditions, prior to this shite kicking off having a flu wouldn't stop you going your holidays, at worst you'd maybe have to spend a couple days recovering before hopefully feeling well enough to start enjoying yourself. you'd only cancel a trip if you were actually to unwell to make it.

if we're all vaccinated and it's just a mild cold or asymptmatiic , you'd be ragin if you had to cancel everything for that

Missus went in to work today to be told the girl she was training last week has tested positive, so she was sent home as a close contact. Went for a test on the way home, she has had both vaccine doses and also had Covid herself back in November so hopefully it's a negative test result. She still has to isolate until Sunday regardless.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Ive never been tested. I had a cough last week but I put it down to hay fever. I worked at the test centre for a few months and I’d see the same faces in every week, yes some were carers etc who needed tested for work, but there was a lot of old hypochondriac types. Can’t be done with adding to the madness by getting tested for no reason

Edited by Thereisalight..

Wee boys school has various classes isolating due to postive COVID cases. He's had a bit of a  cough since Friday along with a choked nose - basically a cold*. Wife insisted we phoned to have him tested as she was convinced he'd just be sent home from school today if we sent him in. Anyway, he got a PCR test yesterday and we're awaiting the results. What I found interesting is I've had both vaccines and have to use those lateral flow kits twice a week for work reasons. Asked call handler on the COVID helpline if I done a lateral flow test and it was negative could I go about my daily business. Basically was told lateral flow things are useless and still need to isolate until wee boys result comes back. Couple of days off work I guess so every cloud. 

*he's fine, runnin about the house daft. 

Out of my friends who had a positive result only one had a positive test. Caught it Christmas Day, as did everyone who was at theirs for a meal. He said he was bedbound with a temperature lack of taste and a cough for 4 days while his girlfriend and daughter were Perfectly well.

I know at least 4 folk that have tested positive, 1 of whom was the missus. She had a cough, high temperature etc in the few days before she tested positive. me and the boys were in the same room as her sometimes. She tested positive, yet me and the boys were fine.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Really? I've been in hospital several times this year and haven't had to be tested at all.

Are you talking about in-patients or is this a specific hospital enforcing this?

I can't imagine the NHS forcing anyone to be tested to get treated.

My dad went in for an outpatients procedure on Wednesday and had to get tested beforehand.

Scenario which will may be getting reasonably common over the next few months. 

You are double jagged and get a alert saying you need to isolate for 10 days as you came into contact with a positive case, let's for the purposes of this scenario just say in a Nail Salon or maybe the school gates.

Would you isolate for 10 days?