Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 hours ago, Aladdin said:

An interesting article.  I wonder how applicable it is to the UK where an abundance of over-caution may seem to be used to signal opposition to the tories?

People have become overly entrenched in their views and have split into hand wringing third wave fetishists, free-marketeering libertarians and moon howling anti-vaxxers all shouting at each other.

The amount of people who want restrictions to continue in the UK is tiny. It basically amounts to people in government and a small number of people who's hobby is being publicly ill. 

Are NHS Grampian confirmed "leftists" as their spokesperson is the only one in that article even mentioning that Moray might not be ready for L2 ?

Am obviously generalising mate, for somw people if boris says it’s daytime they have to say it’s night

To the suprise of erm nae c**t!
What are they so scared of? Would there be a tidal wave of headlines “Fury as SNP disregard the health of scots by staging superspreader events without masks and distancing!!!”
There probably would tbf but it would only be from the express and mail who do an SNP bad story every day anyway

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I think everyone can see how this is going to pan out.

the 'test' events in England will more than likely be successful, restrictions down South will ease, and restrictions in Scotland will be eased in line shortly thereafter.

The frustration with the SG is not that they aren't saying "yeah that will be fine, go ahead and plan that" but that they are giving nothing away to event organisers and the like about their confidence level of this happening, which places additional uncertainty into the viability of said event, and increasing the appeal of either re-locating it, or just not bothering at all.

I understand why publicly 'guaranteeing' that restrictions can be binned may be counter-productive, but caveated conversations should be happening with event organisers outlining what needs to happen for their event to be allowed to run, and what confidence level they have that said scenarios will be realised according to their data projections.

No-one expects a cast iron guarantee, but the "we just don't know so will give no indication whatsoever" approach isn't useful at all.

There are two notable exceptions to this approach; the Euros being allowed crowds, and the "Flagship Events of International Importance" exception being added to allow relaxing of Physical Distancing (presumably with COP26 in mind). I'm not convinced if the SFA had asked for a guarantee that at least 25% capacity would be allowed for the Scottish Cup Final to be played in June or else they would move the game they would have gotten it, yet this guarantee was given to UEFA to avoid risking the loss of the games.

Politics, not data nor dates would be a more realistic tagline for the approach to easing.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I don’t even get how Moray has fucked it so bad. Consistently they had the lowest infection rates until Christmas.

Low natural immunity?

8 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I don’t even get how Moray has fucked it so bad. Consistently they had the lowest infection rates until Christmas.

Must have loads of speakeasy and shebeen type nail bars

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

They havent necessarily.  Given Moray apparently has a population of only 95,000, a localised outbreak can have a massive effect on their rate per 100,000.  Given the lower population density, you would hope it could be nipped in the bud quite quickly.

I think everyone can see how this is going to pan out.
the 'test' events in England will more than likely be successful, restrictions down South will ease, and restrictions in Scotland will be eased in line shortly thereafter.
The frustration with the SG is not that they aren't saying "yeah that will be fine, go ahead and plan that" but that they are giving nothing away to event organisers and the like about their confidence level of this happening, which places additional uncertainty into the viability of said event, and increasing the appeal of either re-locating it, or just not bothering at all.
I understand why publicly 'guaranteeing' that restrictions can be binned may be counter-productive, but caveated conversations should be happening with event organisers outlining what needs to happen for their event to be allowed to run, and what confidence level they have that said scenarios will be realised according to their data projections.
No-one expects a cast iron guarantee, but the "we just don't know so will give no indication whatsoever" approach isn't useful at all.
There are two notable exceptions to this approach; the Euros being allowed crowds, and the "Flagship Events of International Importance" exception being added to allow relaxing of Physical Distancing (presumably with COP26 in mind). I'm not convinced if the SFA had asked for a guarantee that at least 25% capacity would be allowed for the Scottish Cup Final to be played in June or else they would move the game they would have gotten it, yet this guarantee was given to UEFA to avoid risking the loss of the games.
Politics, not data nor dates would be a more realistic tagline for the approach to easing.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19279549.live-updates-brighton-pride-cancelled-second-year/

Test events alone are not enough to stop big events much later in the summer being cancelled now. Lack of affordable Covid insurance for big events is starting to become an issue to.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The amount of people who want restrictions to continue in the UK is tiny. It basically amounts to people in government and a small number of people who's hobby is being publicly ill. 

That's not true at all. One thing the polls show is that British people are often quite pro-restrictions.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

The language is being softened which is a good thing. She's also showing signs that continued pressure is having the desired effect.

It's just a shame that this is all having to be crow-barred out of her.

I agree - its good to finally see the language softening, but as Todd points out, these industries are needing something a bit more concrete.

One other thing - its hardly a great advert for indepence where you're unashamedly looking to England for carrying out these experiments.

More doom and gloom on certain MSM sites. One saying a third wave here is “inevitable”.

Also talk about extra cash to target new variants. Boosters also available from Sept. it’s going to be a never ending cycle of boosters, hopefully just for the elderly/vulnerable and not needed for everyone 

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

More doom and gloom on certain MSM sites. One saying a third wave here is “inevitable”.

Also talk about extra cash to target new variants. Boosters also available from Sept. it’s going to be a never ending cycle of boosters, hopefully just for the elderly/vulnerable and not needed for everyone 

Have you tried not reading this shite?

For a while now I have routinely ignored every news bulletin, tried my best to avoid covid articles and generally only pop on here to see the updated figures. The vaccines are doing their job and everything will be gone soon, the hot air in the media is now best ignored. 

85* new cases of COVID-19 reported

11,273* new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

0.8%* of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

13 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19  ( up from11 )

69 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (up from 58)

2,846,834 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,373,882 have received their second dose

* Please note that Public Health Scotland are aware of data flow issues from UK Government testing sites since around 3pm on Tuesday 4 May that are currently being investigated. These data flow issues could be contributing to the lower number of cases reported today, however, it is not yet possible to know this for certain until this issue is resolved.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Have you tried not reading this shite?

For a while now I have routinely ignored every news bulletin, tried my best to avoid covid articles and generally only pop on here to see the updated figures. The vaccines are doing their job and everything will be gone soon, the hot air in the media is now best ignored. 

Its just an attempt to get newspaper sales and ad revenue when they post that stuff now. There’s even government advisor scientists and relative models showing they anticipate no third wave now. Utter shite from the scumbag media perpetuating their fear mongering. 

12 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

85* new cases of COVID-19 reported

11,273* new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

0.8%* of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

13 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19  ( up from11 )

69 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (up from 58)

2,846,834 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,373,882 have received their second dose

* Please note that Public Health Scotland are aware of data flow issues from UK Government testing sites since around 3pm on Tuesday 4 May that are currently being investigated. These data flow issues could be contributing to the lower number of cases reported today, however, it is not yet possible to know this for certain until this issue is resolved.

image.jpeg.d781ad04b1a4a0fffc4651623c2c69ab.jpeg