Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

We could fund a wee trip for Jase and Dev...

Well, they haven't recorded a single case, so it seems to be the ideal place to start a #ZeroCovid fact-finding mission. 

7 hours ago, Paco said:

The under 50s of the UK, and thus I presume most of Europe, will still have to fork out for a PCR test both ways under the current EU proposal in the summer. Once we hit October it becomes less of an issue, at least for the UK population. But for summer, unless you have proof of prior infection, you’ll have to get a PCR test before leaving the UK and presumably will also need one before you come home. At a minimum currently that’s £250ish per head, plus the hassle of figuring out where and how the hell you get tested while abroad.

It isn’t a viable proposal unless we bring the cost of PCR testing down. If there needs to be government subsidies for this then so be it. Or allow the billions of LFTs the UK Government are desperately trying to offload on anyone who’ll take one to be used for this purpose, at least for UK entry.

Ryanair are doing them for £60 per hit via Randox.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/Randox

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

This blog is run by the guys who created the Year Covid Twitter account.

https://lessonsfromthecrisis.substack.com/p/the-experts-can-stay-wrong-longer

Only a few days ago the BBC published this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56939261

Despite the fact it actually largely sounds like a dystopian hellscape, only today this has happened:

Posted at 17:04

Singapore tightens restrictions amid new cases

Singapore has announced a series of new restrictions, after cases rose last week and several new clusters - including locally transmitted cases of new variants - emerged on the island.

Measures - which kick in from 8 May - include tighter curbs on social gatherings of five people, stricter border controls, as well as a ban on spectators at sporting events.

Travellers arriving from most countries will be required to quarantine for three weeks instead of two.

Indoor gyms and fitness studios will be closed, and more people will be required to work from home.

These are the tightest local measures since the city-state started easing curbs in the middle of last year after a partial lockdown.

Only last week, it had been deemed the best place in the world to live in Covid times.

Places like Europe and North America will be moving on while the likes of Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand, continue to be on edge until or if they can get extremely high vaccine coverage. Until then, they'll be cut off from the outside world, closing down cities over a few cases when they pop up, and criminalising their citizens for wanting to return home.

9 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

FV College seemed a lot busier than it was when I was in for my first dose.

How many days is it after the second dose until one gains full invincibility again?

14 days

See the source image

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

An interesting article.  I wonder how applicable it is to the UK where an abundance of over-caution may seem to be used to signal opposition to the tories?

People have become overly entrenched in their views and have split into hand wringing third wave fetishists, free-marketeering libertarians and moon howling anti-vaxxers all shouting at each other.

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

First dose of Pfizery goodness in my arm, boy that done it saying they're absolutely rattling through them in South lanarkshire hence why they're onto the under 40s already.

I’ll expect my blue envelope shortly then, although I registered as an unpaid carer weeks ago and have heard diddly squat since.

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

I’ll expect my blue envelope shortly then, although I registered as an unpaid carer weeks ago and have heard diddly squat since.

That's weird, I registered as an unpaid carer and got my vaccine a week later in Motherwell 

'We think that the level of protection in the population to any variant will be so high that by Christmas, Covid-19 should have just faded away into the background like any other illness in circulation.'

So every single measure introduced since March 2020 should be fucking yeeted into oblivion, never to return again, then. Cheers.

3 hours ago, Aladdin said:

An interesting article.  I wonder how applicable it is to the UK where an abundance of over-caution may seem to be used to signal opposition to the tories?

People have become overly entrenched in their views and have split into hand wringing third wave fetishists, free-marketeering libertarians and moon howling anti-vaxxers all shouting at each other.

It's the latest part of the ongoing mental disintegration of #FBPE twitter. Anything Johnson does in relaxing restrictions  must be vehemently opposed because Brexit is wrong. I would write it off as internet bubble/echo chamber stuff, but the opinion polls which are seemingly randomly selected seem to bear it out as well, and Conservative voters aren't exactly falling over themselves for relaxations either, even if less opposed to them. 

Don't get me wrong, I've no time for the man, but these cranks would have us locked down forever if they could. The irony that they now want to ban all travel in/out the UK is not lost either. 

Edited by Michael W