Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest bernardblack
4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Daily Cases Update:  Another decent 48 hours as cases down another 2.75% and overall to 21.3 per 100K.  

Headlines: 21 of 32 Councils all qualify for Level 1 or at least a big fat Cigar.

P&K, Renfrewshire, Dundee City, South Ayrshire all stunning drops.   Glasgow all set to go below Edinburgh. Moray behaving somewhat like Clackmannanshire was mainly due to low population.  Kessington East now Scotland's no go area. I will let the Son's tell me if a shitehouse or the posh part.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Total Cases 7 days from 25th April to 1st May  were 1198 now 1165 down 2.75%. Positivity was 1.1% now 1.1%.   Cases per 100k were 21.9 now 21.3

Home Nations Daily update:  UK Average  23.2 to 22.9 down 1.29%, England 23.4 to 23.2 down 0.85%,  Wales  11.1 to 10.5 down 5.41%, Northern Ireland 34.8 to 34.2 down 1.72% 

European (Above 2 Million Population) : Turkey 366 to 295, Sweden 350 to 342, Croatia 352 to 308,  Netherlands 316 to 266, France 286 to 230,  all destinations over 230 cases per 100K     

At the other end as we wait for Traffic Lights you have.  Iceland 23, Albania 25, Finland 26, Portugal 28, Malta 30  that must all stand a decent chance of going green.  Other sun worshiper areas currently are Bulgaria 111, Spain 118, Greece 124, Italy 137, Cyprus 547

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Shifty Tories should be in lockdown club

Moray  64.7 to 78.3  Shitshow continues up another near 21%  Elgin residents enjoying their moment of glory.

Under 50 Level 2 Criteria Club

East Dunbartonshire  48.8 to 42.3  Hopefully peaked now as down 13.32%.  Kessington East is now Scotland's most dangerous neighbourhood.

East Ayrshire  36.1 to 36.9 

North Lanarkshire   34.6 to 32.5 Another 6.07% down,  excellent progress

Fife   32.9 to 29.7  Down 16.57% in 3 days so progress back on.

Glasgow City  29.5 to 28.1 Another near 5% drop.

City Of Edinburgh  26.1 to 26.3   Still rising.

West Lothian  25.7 to 24.6

Falkirk  22.4 to 24.2     

West Dunbartonshire   22.5 to 23.6

East Renfrewshire    18.8 to 22.0  Short stay in the club.

The Should be in Level 1  Club Sub 20.0image.jpeg.2ac60f85799d1453b2fa133e8de973d3.jpeg

South Lanarkshire  16.8 to 19.3 

Dumfries & Galloway  21.5 to 18.1  Back in with the Level 1 club.

Clackmannanshire   13.6 to 17.5  

Perth & Kinross  23.0 to 15.8  Another smoky place. Amazing 31.30% drop.

Stirling  9.6 to 14.9  

North Ayrshire  15.6 to 14.8  

Aberdeen City  13.1 to 14.4  

Renfrewshire    19.0 to 14.0  Amazing another 26.32% drop

South Ayrshire    24.0 to 13.3   Back in the smokers club a stunning 44.58% down

Highlands  9.8 to 11.0

Inverclyde  12.9 to 11.6

Aberdeenshire  8.0 to 11.1

Dundee City   12.7 to 9.4  Wow down another 26%  Only 14 cases in our 4th City.

Angus  6.9 to 6.9 

Scottish  Borders  6.1 to 6.9

East Lothian 4.7 to 3.7

Midlothian  1.1 to 2.2    

Argyll & Bute  7.0 to 1.2  Only 1 case

Orkney Island  4.5 to 0.0 

Shetland Islands  0.0 to 0.0  

Western Isles   0.0 to 0.0

Dundee under 10? HWG

8 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Kessington East now Scotland's no go area. I will let the Son's tell me if a shitehouse or the posh part.

Under 50 Level 2 Criteria Club

East Dunbartonshire  48.8 to 42.3  Hopefully peaked now as down 13.32%.  Kessington East is now Scotland's most dangerous neighbourhood.

@Jan Vojáček is our foreign correspondent for the Bearsden & Milngavie war zone but I think that's the quite nice area around about Asda?

If so, I can only presume the local pampas grass brigade have been a little premature with reconvening their swinging parties. 

Yeah, 2 more people in ICU objectively isn't a good thing, but strictly in terms of COVID recovery data, with case numbers, positivity, and hospital numbers all doing cigar things, its not really relevant and is probably an anomaly

Bear in mind also that every single person going into hospital is tested for Covid. By their nature, hospital patients are not well people. The occasional person will test positive despite being asymptomatic, mildly ill, or are actually in hospital because of a very different issue and happen to have Covid, but will nonetheless show up in these figures. This has always been the case but in mid-January with 2000 in hospital we could safely say it was irrelevant. At the stage of 11 people in ICU those occasional patients can end up showing problems where none exist.

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

@Jan Vojáček is our foreign correspondent for the Bearsden & Milngavie war zone but I think that's the quite nice area around about Asda?

If so, I can only presume the local pampas grass brigade have been a little premature with reconvening their swinging parties. 

Kessington East is the bit between Asda, Canniesburn Toll, Rannoch Drive and Boclair Academy. It's a really weird shape judging by the PHS data. If you're heading towards Milngavie it's the area on your right around Asda by the looks of the map.

Anyway, I've no idea what's caused the spike - but the Milngavie and Bearsden What's Going on Facebook page was full of concerned Lovejoys last night. Fortunately in Keystone and Douglaston we've barely had any cases since about February, so all is well in the P&B Milngavie and Bearsden embassy. 

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just roll Dundee up into one big doobie and fucking smoke it.

From where I’m currently standing in Dundee city centre I think that’s already happened.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Posted by @101 in the twitter thread.

Oft quoted in here Politics for All manufacturing rage against everyone's favourite public health professional. 

Hasn't it already been confirmed the guy who runs that account is like a 19 year old Tory VL who does it for the love of the game?

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Hasn't it already been confirmed the guy who runs that account is like a 19 year old Tory VL who does it for the love of the game?

Yeah I think so - doesn't stop his musings getting lobbed about like phat truth bombs on a daily basis though. 

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah I think so - doesn't stop his musings getting lobbed about like phat truth bombs on a daily basis though. 

I mind Amber Frost saying they made sure to give their outlet, Current Affairs, a really boring name like the Economist because then people would automatically assume that it was a serious publication and, yeah, I can see what's happened.

42 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Completely correct, it is long past time this social distancing nonsense was drop-kicked into the sun. 

Meanwhile, on fantasy island:

Transport Scotland said the Scottish government had "invested significantly" to ensure public transport services were available during the pandemic and said capacity on public transport would still need to be managed as wider restrictions are eased.

Yeah giving private companies money to keep their profits going while reducing public transport is not actually ensuring availability or access.

Speaking of which, it is about time Scotrail got collared for their monumental brass neck of i) sending clippies around to take fares from the public, while still suckling on the public teat and ii) still refusing to restore their normal timetable or lift their alcohol ban because pandemic!!!111!!!

How convenient that it is now safe enough to set up a giant money transfer to the Dutch taxpayer but not to provide a full service to customers! 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Some of the scientists that get interviewed are becoming more and more like politicians by the day, in their refusal to answer a simple question. Christine Tait-Burkard on radio this morning was going on about case numbers and was asked a simple “what is more important going forward, case numbers or hospital/mortality data?”. Proceeded to waffle on for ages, blatantly ignoring the question (and obvious correct answer of hospital/mortality data) before ending with “so they are both important”.

Firstly, you were asked specifically which was more important. Answer the question please.

Second, stop pretending case numbers will be even remotely important overall going forward.

They won't be important in the way that numptees like that want - but I wouldn't be devastated if case numbers stayed more or less as they are now, as having a certain amount of case numbers without a rise in hospitalisations shows in the most blatant terms (that even the likes of Sridhar can't ignore) that the vaccines work beautifully and there's no need for any emergency powers or lockdowns.

In fact, if we actually got to a very low number of cases (say low double figures) then it arguably means Sridhar has got part of her wish - driven down cases to near zero. You can bet your bottom dollar she'll be in SG's ear demanding that we keep them there no matter what, and then there's a real risk that SG panic and overreact even to small localised outbreaks.

Whereas if we used 100 odd cases as a base number to open properly, then we'll have a growing wealth of rolling real life evidence that we don't need tiny, tiny numbers to go about our lives properly, which then gives the zero COVID zealots less scope to get their pish given the time of day.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Some of the scientists that get interviewed are becoming more and more like politicians by the day, in their refusal to answer a simple question. Christine Tait-Burkard on radio this morning was going on about case numbers and was asked a simple “what is more important going forward, case numbers or hospital/mortality data?”. Proceeded to waffle on for ages, blatantly ignoring the question (and obvious correct answer of hospital/mortality data) before ending with “so they are both important”.

Firstly, you were asked specifically which was more important. Answer the question please.

Second, stop pretending case numbers will be even remotely important overall going forward.

The problem here is a journalist asking someone a question about an area they are not an expert in. I hadn't hear of Christine Tait-Burkard, but looking at her profile it is clear that she is a biologist who seems to be an expert in the transmission of disease, so any questions about case numbers and hospital/mortality data are not something she can speak about with any expertise - anything she said would essentially be her opinion.

It's the first thing you're told in any media training course - you're there to talk about the thing you know about, if anyone asks you anything outside of your field then don't answer it but instead bridge the question back to what you do know about.

If they wanted someone to talk confidently about the importance of case numbers or hospital/mortality data they should have invited on an epidemiologist.

11 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

They won't be important in the way that numptees like that want - but I wouldn't be devastated if case numbers stayed more or less as they are now, as having a certain amount of case numbers without a rise in hospitalisations shows in the most blatant terms (that even the likes of Sridhar can't ignore) that the vaccines work beautifully and there's no need for any emergency powers or lockdowns.

In fact, if we actually got to a very low number of cases (say low double figures) then it arguably means Sridhar has got part of her wish - driven down cases to near zero. You can bet your bottom dollar she'll be in SG's ear demanding that we keep them there no matter what, and then there's a real risk that SG panic and overreact even to small localised outbreaks.

Whereas if we used 100 odd cases as a base number to open properly, then we'll have a growing wealth of rolling real life evidence that we don't need tiny, tiny numbers to go about our lives properly, which then gives the zero COVID zealots less scope to get their pish given the time of day.

Thing is you could have 400 cases but does it matter a flying f**k if you have them if no one is dying or in hospital as a result (and even if a very small number are if the nhs isnt overwhelmed its clear over reach). 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

Speaking of which, it is about time Scotrail got collared for their monumental brass neck of i) sending clippies around to take fares from the public, while still suckling on the public teat and ii) still refusing to restore their normal timetable or lift their alcohol ban because pandemic!!!111!!!

How convenient that it is now safe enough to set up a giant money transfer to the Dutch taxpayer but not to provide a full service to customers! 

That'll be Scotrail who posted a loss of £64.5m recently https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-56689070

Sounds like North Korea might be an ideal destination for the 'tha vaccines alone wilnae be enuff!!' types.

Posted at 16:17

North Korea warns vaccines are not 'cure-all solution' to pandemic

North Korea has warned its citizens that vaccines are not a cure-all solution to the Covid pandemic.

It comes amid indications the reclusive state has failed to secure adequate vaccine supplies. An editorial in a state newspaper references problems with vaccine programmes in some countries and says North Korea must uphold its virus restrictions.

The country has not recorded a single case of the virus although last month it processed 24,000 tests.

Experts doubt this claim as the country shares a border with China – a highly used trade route.

Covax – the international vaccine distribution scheme – has allocated 1.7 million vaccine shots to North Korea.