Coronavirus (COVID-19)

45 minutes ago, Paco said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/social-distancing-rules-scrapped-june-21-lockdown-cvzst0bk3

This is proper ‘lucky dip’ territory. No limit on numbers in pubs, it can be fully packed like the Good Old Days, but if you’re going to the toilet don’t dare come back the same way you went or forget your facemask. That’ll really help stop spread.

Also contains the nugget of football matches and large events having ongoing capacity restraints, due to worries about ‘pinch points’ like public transport or nearby pubs. So pack into your nearest pub or restaurants no hassle, get on that busy commuter train, but a busy train going to the football? Dangerous.

Poor Jason looks like he was just the messenger boy with the detail on crowds.

Some desperate stuff here to avoid the suggestion that masks and wee shitey screens are not very effective at preventing the spread of an airborne virus at all.

The govt will simply move towards "recommendations" over shit like one way systems, masks and screens IMO, rather than ever committing to saying they are not required. They will give businesses and the public just enough leeway to f**k all these things off by themselves

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Most countries have more or less the same level of measures in place.

There was me thinking there were plans in motion to lift such measures, which would be cast aside if those who used to champion freedom of movement on our own continent had their way.

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

55 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Let's hope the pushback truly starts here for all industries. These clowns can't just keep kicking the can down the road or hoping it will go away after the election.

The Scottish Government is going slower than the rest of the UK, of course they are going to want a 4 nation approach.  Similarly if we were going quicker the same people would be silent and it would be the English travel industry shouting for a 4 nation approach.

Personally I don't care about restrictions in other countries, it is the restrictions that apply to Scotland that concern me.

Having said that, anyone complaining that Scotland as a holiday destination is not affordable is speaking nonsense.

Edited by strichener

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

The Scottish Government is going slower than the rest of the UK, of course they are going to want a 4 nation approach.  Similarly if we were going quicker the same people would be silent and it would be the English travel industry shouting for a 4 nation approach.

Personally I don't care about restrictions in other countries, it is the restrictions that apply to Scotland that concern me.

Having said that, anyone complaining that Scotland as a holiday destination is not affordable is speaking nonsense.

Depends what you want in a holiday, whenever I've had overnight breaks in Scotland it's mostly  been for sports/outdoor activities. they can  be great value for money if you look hard enough or you could also end up getting massively ripped off.  and obviously the weather is highly unpredictable.  I've spent almost as much as a short break in the med for one of those log cabin chalet type places in Scotland just for me and the mrs for a weekend, in fact that could almost be it's own thread- the extortionate  cost of getting your nat king !

it can be a real mixed bag and to get the same quality of service that would come as standard abroad you end up paying quite a bit more

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

p071h4rp.jpg

😂

Why are we seriously contemplating continuing with all this pointless safety theatre? 

If there is a risk to the public, it's the mass indoor gathering itself and not some c**t ignoring the one way sans mask whilst he goes for a piss. 

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Depends what you want in a holiday, whenever I've had overnight breaks in Scotland it's mostly  been for sports/outdoor activities. they can  be great value for money if you look hard enough or you could also end up getting massively ripped off.  and obviously the weather is highly unpredictable.  I've spent almost as much as a short break in the med for one of those log cabin chalet type places in Scotland just for me and the mrs for a weekend, in fact that could almost be it's own thread- the extortionate  cost of getting your nat king !

it can be a real mixed bag and to get the same quality of service that would come as standard abroad you end up paying quite a bit more

Granted if your idea of a holiday is going to an all-inclusive resort to get pished by the pool everyday then Scotland probably isn't for you.  Doesn't necessarily mean that Scotland is a rip-off or unaffordable.  This is also the case if you need guaranteed sunshine but again Scotland has plenty to offer for the price of getting wet.

Edited by strichener

41 minutes ago, strichener said:

Cool where can i book a two week holiday on a self catering basis with a swimming pool that isn’t a caravan park in Scotland for the same money as say a villa in Turkey or spain for 2 weeks? 
eta i’ve just used trip advisor and cant see a single holiday rental that suits my needs for the fortnight i have off in september. None with a pool either. Also average cost is in the region of £2000 for anything suitable and theres absolutely no leisure facilities etc either. 
Also I dont drink or go to ‘all inclusive resorts’  but yes I do want guaranteed sunshine, largely because it greatly benefits my father as his condition responds well to warmer weather etc. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cool where can i book a two week holiday on a self catering basis with a swimming pool that isn’t a caravan park in Scotland for the same money as say a villa in Turkey or spain for 2 weeks? 
eta i’ve just used trip advisor and cant see a single holiday rental that suits my needs for the fortnight i have off in september. None with a pool either. Also average cost is in the region of £2000 for anything suitable and theres absolutely no leisure facilities etc either. 

So you need an apartment, a swimming pool and leisure facilities - Spey valley resort by McDonalds is £1346 for 2 weeks in September.  Comes with the added benefit of avoiding Ryanair.  

I notice that you have edited your post to include that you do want guaranteed sunshine which rules out Scotland regardless of cost as I quite clearly stated in the follow up post.

Edited by strichener

If i'm being honest, I love a holiday in Scotland, but holidays in Scotland are completely different entities from foreign holidays to the point its almost worthless comparing the two.

FWIW on the topic, I could easily research and drill down through country, area, resort, hotel and amenities to meet my requirements and budget for a foreign holiday in pretty much a lunch hour and be confident I was getting as good a deal as I could. I don't know how to do the same for Scotland. Maybe someone knows some good websites to look at for Scottish holidays but anytime I do go looking, I end up raking about a load of different websites scraping for something that suits. 

I don't think we sell tourism well here. Maybe foreigners booking from their own country have the equivalent of Tam Cook with Scotland options but I don't really have any confidence in finding what I want and the right price. Obviously willing to be educated in this regard.

132 new cases of COVID-19 reported

10,195 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 1.5% of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends and public holidays)

2,824,955 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,326,599 have received their second dose

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If i'm being honest, I love a holiday in Scotland, but holidays in Scotland are completely different entities from foreign holidays to the point its almost worthless comparing the two.

FWIW on the topic, I could easily research and drill down through country, area, resort, hotel and amenities to meet my requirements and budget for a foreign holiday in pretty much a lunch hour and be confident I was getting as good a deal as I could. I don't know how to do the same for Scotland. Maybe someone knows some good websites to look at for Scottish holidays but anytime I do go looking, I end up raking about a load of different websites scraping for something that suits. 

I don't think we sell tourism well here. Maybe foreigners booking from their own country have the equivalent of Tam Cook with Scotland options but I don't really have any confidence in finding what I want and the right price. Obviously willing to be educated in this regard.

I'm pretty sure we actually get (got) more visitors than we send  overseas ourselves and it's a massive earner for the economy, you just have to wonder how much more it would be worth if we didn't do such a shite job half the time. tourism in Scotland succeeded despite the best efforts of those involved

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

132 new cases of COVID-19 reported

10,195 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 1.5% of these were positive

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends and public holidays)

2,824,955 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,326,599 have received their second dose

ce1f41c8ec7bb8e0a000f03a85f39ff8_400x400

55 minutes ago, Michael W said:

😂

Why are we seriously contemplating continuing with all this pointless safety theatre? 

If there is a risk to the public, it's the mass indoor gathering itself and not some c**t ignoring the one way sans mask whilst he goes for a piss. 

I'm expecting red dots but I think it's more and more obvious that needless restrictions are being kept in place so they can later be dropped in what will eventually be presented as a trade off for digital ID infrastructure. 

It's up and running in Denmark now. 

10 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I'm pretty sure we actually get (got) more visitors than we send  overseas ourselves and it's a massive earner for the economy, you just have to wonder how much more it would be worth if we didn't do such a shite job half the time. tourism in Scotland succeeded despite the best efforts of those involved

This is exactly how I feel about it. In other countries, those involved in tourism seek it, compete for it. It seems like those in Scotland who rely on tourism tolerate it. 

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm expecting red dots but I think it's more and more obvious that needless restrictions are being kept in place so they can later be dropped in what will eventually be presented as a trade off for digital ID infrastructure. 

It's up and running in Denmark now. 

Digital ID talk needs binned. When the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated who really cares if somebody gets a cough for a day or two? Shit like having a vaccine passport or needing a negative test for domestic things like concerts/sports needs fired into the sea. As a country we're trying to do things to stop discrimination and segregation, yet this ludicrous idea is being wheeled out which will cause those who already feel alienated to feel even more so. 

32 minutes ago, strichener said:

So you need an apartment, a swimming pool and leisure facilities - Spey valley resort by McDonalds is £1346 for 2 weeks in September.  Comes with the added benefit of avoiding Ryanair.  

That accomodation isnt suitable, however i’ve used trip advisor (as a comparison website) and for 2 weeks its looking at £5000 plus for something which would meet our needs. That plus the hire of a suitable vehicle for our entire party and wheelchair etc would take us well over £2000. So £7000 with not that much to do, no shopping, limited restaurants for meals out etc. I could holiday in Florida for that. I could get 2 villa holidays in europe for that money too. 

D985FCF9-860E-40C2-A9F9-954F29D219C3.png