Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Got this in an email from Ryanair. A "deal" with Randox to do home PCR testing. £180 per person per trip and that's only if you travel yourself to drop each of the 3 tests off at a Randox lab otherwise it's courier return each time at customers cost. Foreign travel from the UK has no chance with those sort of restrictions and these are being seen as the minimum ie before any quarantine requirements. Screenshot_20210428-124018_Email.jpeg

I see the EU are pushing ahead with the vaccine passport (QR code can be printed off on paper format similar to a current boarding card), however the UK have so far declined to be part of it (christ knows why).

That said, come July, August, September I can't honestly believe that "tests" will still be required for travel to the likes of Spain and Portugal for UK citizens as most will be vaccinated and quite frankly the "labs" simply wouldn't be able to keep pace with testing demand.

Like everything, the above comes with the caveats that the virus remains "under control" in the a fore mentioned countries but if it does then foreign holidays should be a goer.

on a slight tangent, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere that holidaying at home "staycation" is becoming almost impossible due to a lack of infrastructure across the UK.  In a nutshell there simply isn't sufficient accommodation, to well, accommodate people !!

Over and above that we've got situations where island travel is impossible as too many people are travelling to allow them all to get back (Police stopped people going to Cumbrae only last weekend), we also have a severe lack of parking in many of our towns and for those travelling on public transport this becomes another problem when "last buses" are leaving at 6pm etc in the middle of Summer !!

I've also not seen it mentioned anywhere about Hotels closing down, take Aberdeen as an example, in the last 18 months they've lost the Hilton Treetops, City Centre Garden Inn, Doubletree on Beach Boulevard and a couple of privately owned establishments, however I don't remember reading this anywhere other than local press as obviously that wouldn't suit the "staycation" agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a wee holiday in my own backyard, however the inflated prices, difficulty of securing any sort of accommodation, travel and parking issues, high cost and of course the suspect climate make the thought of having to try and find a holiday here a rather daunting and indeed unsavoury prospect for many.....

On 27/04/2021 at 14:31, superbigal said:

Daily Cases Update:  What a grand day as cases down another 3.23% and overall to 25.8 per 100K.  To put the numbers into some sort of perspective,  Scotland only now has marginally more total active cases, than the Borders & Dumfries & Galloway had on the 4th January.  In a strange twist of fate Upper Nithsdale was Covid Free when D&G was the worst council in January.  Now it finds itself the most dangerous neighbourhood in Scotland.

Brilliant to see the top 5 all may have peaked based on todays figures.  A special mention again also for Brechin City who after last nights victory do have more points than Covid cases in Angus 🏆

Looking at the UK it is possible we go past England in the next day or 2.  The Welsh are long gone into the distance.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Total Cases 7 days from 19th April to 25th April  were 1454 now 1407 down 3.23%. Positivity was 1.3% now 1.3%.   Cases per 100k were 26.6 now 25.8

Home Nations Daily update:  UK Average  25.0 to 25.3 up 1.20%, England 24.8 to 25.2 up 1.61%,  Wales  13.2 to 12.7 down 3.79%, Northern Ireland 41.0 to 39.2 down 4.39% 

European (Above 2 Million Population) : Sweden 383 to 370,  Croatia 378 to 364,  Netherlands 331 to 329, France 330 to 311,  all destinations over 250 cases per 100K

Special mention for Turkey as a popular destination down to 435 from 498 but now in Lockdown, Cyprus getting even worse at 705 from 641 !!

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Under 75 could do better club

North Lanarkshire  61.2 to 55.4  Back on the decline which is good, another 9.47%

South Ayrshire  46.2 to 43.5    Could be the top 3 have all peaked. Down 5.84%

East Ayrshire   47.5 to 43.4  As above appears to have peaked for now and down a great 9.26%

Moray  44.9 to 40.7  May also have peaked down 9.35%

East Dunbartonshire   44.2 to 40.5  Could also have peaked ? Down for 1st day in a while 8.37%

Glasgow City  38.5 to 39.0

Fife   31.3 to 31.9 

Perth & Kinross  32.2 to 31.6

Clackmannanshire  42.7 to 31.0  Disappearing down the charts again. Today 27.40%

West Dunbartonshire    31.5 to 30.4  

Falkirk   26.1 to 28.0  Back above average

Renfrewshire   25.1 to 26.2  Also back above average

City Of Edinburgh   27.2 to 26.1   

Under Scottish Average club 25.8

South Lanarkshire  25.9 to 24.6  

Dundee City   24.1 to 24.1 

North Ayrshire  23.7 to 21.5  Heading back to the Smokers club down 9.28%

The  🚬 Club Sub 20.0

Dumfries & Galloway   16.8 to 18.1  Scotland's most dangerous neighbourhood. Upper Nithsdale with 80% of their cases

West Lothian   17.5 to 18.0

East Renfrewshire   19.9 to 16.7  

Inverclyde  15.4 to 15.4

Aberdeen City  15.7 to 15.3

East Lothian   11.2 to 12.1   

Stirling 11.7 to 11.7

Argyll & Bute 5.8 to 8.2

Aberdeenshire   8.8 to 7.3  Down over 50% in 4 days. superb.

Highlands   6.8 to 7.2

Angus   3.4 to 2.6   3 cases. 

Orkney Island  4.5 to 4.5  1 Case

Midlothian  2.2 to 2.2   2 Cases 

Scottish  Borders  3.2 to 0.9 1 Case  

Shetland Islands  0.0 to 0.0  

Western Isles   0.0 to 0.0

Edited by superbigal

Just now, Lichtie78 said:

The vaccination & case stats used to give me a real lift a few months ago, now they annoy me. Data not dates the biggest myth of all time.

Once the new government come in should see some progress unless it's not the SNP in some guise. 

Hopefully the May date can be level 1 and Mid June can be 0 and July for easing completely, I think that should be the bare minimum.

Been told Perth has 2 outbreaks. One is related to a school in Scone and another in a school out at scotlandwell etc.

In December that would’ve concerned me. Not so much now.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What does any of that have to do with India making disastrous financial and social choices today?

I think the Indian government are terrible but it's not the space program that's responsible for underdevelopment.

74 years isn't a particularly long time in terms of economic development, especially after centuries of inflicted imperialism. You are a right wing numpty so it's not really any surprise you can't get your head round fairly simple political economy. 

Once the new government come in should see some progress unless it's not the SNP in some guise. 
Hopefully the May date can be level 1 and Mid June can be 0 and July for easing completely, I think that should be the bare minimum.

I really hope so. Think I’m lucky in that I’ve worked all the way through with a good bunch of lads and that’s kept my mind occupied, but when my thoughts wander to the near future (July/September), I think if we can’t have normality then when can we?

Just now, oaksoft said:

And yet they somehow found the money to spend on nuclear weapons and space rockets.

You are absolutely at it here.

Deliberately fishing for bites.

And you landed me. Well played sir. Well played indeed. :lol:

Again you are a moron. 

This is the equivalent of complaining about folk on benefits having a flat screen telly. 

2 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

I really hope so. Think I’m lucky in that I’ve worked all the way through with a good bunch of lads and that’s kept my mind occupied, but when my thoughts wander to the near future (July/September), I think if we can’t have normality then when can we?

I agree, I think you have to look at what is normality for you and think is it realistic, do you have family in Australia, but don't have an Aussie passport, is their life going to be back to normal in terms of being able to get across to see them, sadly probably not.

But if your version of normality is being able to do as you please round the UK with a summer holiday in Europe every so often then yes I think "normality" is achievable & desirable. If we end up in August & September without that then serious questions have to be asked.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Isn’t the issue with India that’s it’s far too populous. Short of going down the Chinese route I don’t know how they get out of that.

India is forecast to overtake China and become the most populous nation on the planet fairly soon and no real decline in population is predicted over the next few decades.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/11/population-race-china-india/#:~:text=And now%2C India is on,reach 1.28B in 2100.

I agree, I think you have to look at what is normality for you and think is it realistic, do you have family in Australia, but don't have an Aussie passport, is their life going to be back to normal in terms of being able to get across to see them, sadly probably not.
But if your version of normality is being able to do as you please round the UK with a summer holiday in Europe every so often then yes I think "normality" is achievable & desirable. If we end up in August & September without that then serious questions have to be asked.

Just worried that if we don’t have normality by September time, the winter flu season will come into play and people will shite the bed. Hope I’m just overthinking and worrying too much, maybe sad but I think I’ll probably greet the first time I get a proper day out at the football again with my mates [emoji23]

30 minutes ago, Left Back said:

India is forecast to overtake China and become the most populous nation on the planet fairly soon and no real decline in population is predicted over the next few decades.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/11/population-race-china-india/#:~:text=And now%2C India is on,reach 1.28B in 2100.

November last year - before millions of them started dying