Coronavirus (COVID-19)

59 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I disagree. What it highlights is what people have been pointing out for about a year. Everyone knew the demographic Covid was most deadly to. It would have been more cost effective to protect that demographic (furlough etc), and allow covid to spread amongst the young and healthy. Be honest with the relative risk to different groups, advise high risk groups to shield, and for friends and family to minimise / eliminate close contact in indoor environments.

We didn't do this because it wouldn't be fair.

Extending the epidemic by refusing to accept young, healthy people being exposed to covid and building up immunity will have helped increase this number.

We did, though. It was obvious very quickly. Instead of reacting to it, however, we continued down the "all in it together" path because "it can happen to anyone" and putting restrictions on the vulnerable only was unfair.

Blanket lockdowns, the focus on total "cases" and the absolute refusal to accept that young, otherwise healthy people catching covid was beneficial rather than an issue is the reason we have the death toll we do.

The UK Gov / SG response cost lives, rather than saving any.

The entire point of the post I replied to was that we wasted money on furlough rather than spending it on something else which would have saved old people.

I disagree that everything us and the majority of other countries did, especially from March to say Christmas last year, was done for the purpose of making life equally bad for everyone.

Edited by madwullie

12 minutes ago, madwullie said:

The entire point of the post I replied to was that we wasted money on furlough rather than spending it on something else which would have saved old people.

But the premise of that post was, ultimately, correct?

Paying the wages of huge numbers of young, healthy people, alongside closing large parts of the economy for over a year was a gross waste of money compared to paying the wages of those most vulnerable who were not able to work from home.

Not only that, but the actions taken to try and prevent absolutely anyone catching Covid almost certainly extended the epidemic and led to more deaths of old people. It didn't save any lives.

19 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I disagree that everything us and the majority of other countries did, especially from March to say Christmas last year, was done for the purpose of making life equally bad for everyone.

I didn't say it was. But it was a mistake, with the desire not to discriminate, create a two-tier society, or be seen to be unfair a big driver throughout.

Funnily enough, vaccine passports seem to get a pass on those exact same things...

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They sporadically do on sunny days tbf.

How many times in previous years have Glasgow City Council closed nine out of sixteen gates to a public park at the balmy temperature of, erm, 17 fucking degrees prior to the big, bad virus giving them cover for such authoritarian nonsense? Ditto Edinburgh restricting alcohol consumption on The Meadows because err, Covid made us do it instead of actually passing a legitimate law?

Absolute tinpot pish that will only encourage those trying to meet outside in the absence of any functioning hospitality to congregate in one of their houses instead. A stunning victory all round then for the Helen Lovejoy brigade!

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

It's the same on sunny days when there is a police presence for the trains to Ayr as part of 'safer shores' after teenagers used to go mental on the trains.  

That's not the same because the police don't literally obstruct people from going to the beach because it gives them more work to do. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 hours ago, Elixir said:

I think the US and pretty much all of Europe will be a goer by mid to late summer. Further afield will likely take considerably longer, though.

Is it not the case that the USA said today that they will not allow tourists from the UK ?

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

They shut Kelvingrove so everyone just went to the Green instead, place was bouncing this evening.

I don't know why anyone thinks they have they shut Kelvingrove, I can confirm it certainly is not. Police presence is greater than normal but still plenty in the park with carry outs today.

The Imperial College/Warwick clowns who presented such obviously laughable 'summer spike!!!111!!!' models should at the very least have all their public funding cut off. They will prove to be literally worse than useless in the sense that governments have followed their utter drivel and therefore set badly misinformed public policy. 

Edited by vikingTON

Telegraph turning on Boris? If so it will probably mean not only the mail are really pushing Boris out and restrictions to ease much much faster certainly an interesting shift from what has been his vehicle for leaking restrictions/ easements and policy announcements.

23 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

The reverse paddling upstream yesterday and today has been quite something. Simple common sense is all that was needed to know the time they wasted on their summer spike modelling was utter junk, and that any 'wave' in winter will be comparable to what we typically see with seasonal influenza.

However, can we please take a moment to laugh at these clowns. It's truly reaching Hitler's bunker territory.

I wonder how Devi, Linda, and wee Jason will pivot their positions. Doubling down on saying it's because of the travel ban is my bet.

On 12/03/2021 at 14:05, virginton said:

The knicker-wetter Imperial/Warwick model went for a pessimistic 75% coverage among all under 50s and a 'central' forecast of 85%. Conveniently wrong again on the side of more susceptibility, on top of their 'protection from infection' rates being laughably low compared to the real life data emerging from Israel.

Reckon I'll take the safe as houses W over the shan modellers right about now tbh. 

image.png.5de7a4da2599452fb73633ee4d210df5.png

Edited by vikingTON

For all the understandable cigars out stuff on here which in terms of our situation I’ve no problem with it’s chilling to read about people dying on the street in India outside hospitals with no beds and/or oxygen. Desperate stuff. In global terms this is far from over. That’s not to say we need to hide under the bed here though where things are demonstrably different at this time.

16 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

For all the understandable cigars out stuff on here which in terms of our situation I’ve no problem with it’s chilling to read about people dying on the street in India outside hospitals with no beds and/or oxygen. Desperate stuff. In global terms this is far from over. That’s not to say we need to hide under the bed here though where things are demonstrably different at this time.

I wonder if it’s possible the UK and the other nations can help India in anyway possible.