Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Daily Mail (I know) reporting holidays will be on from the 17th of May to a select list of "green" countries. Considering the FM has said a few times she wants these decisions to be made on a 4 nations basis then we could see some movement to open up holiday routes.

That said India, Brazil, America, Australia and New Zealand will almost certainly be out for a long time yet and considering the numbers of holiday makers they attract we are a long way from normality. Sadly.

Daily Mail (I know) reporting holidays will be on from the 17th of May to a select list of "green" countries. Considering the FM has said a few times she wants these decisions to be made on a 4 nations basis then we could see some movement to open up holiday routes.
That said India, Brazil, America, Australia and New Zealand will almost certainly be out for a long time yet and considering the numbers of holiday makers they attract we are a long way from normality. Sadly.
That's been the position for literally months now. There is zero "news" in that report.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

why have you lumped them in with the others? they're the complete opposite. Fair enough they might not want to let us in but there's no reason why we can't let them in here

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

Dont get where youre getting the USA as ‘out for a long time yet’ given just about every travel writer is suggesting we’ll be flying there from June.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/23/oxford-malaria-vaccine-proves-highly-effective-in-burkina-faso-trial

Another crushing, Fort William scale L on the cards for the anti-vax brigade. Despite a visible social media presence, I suspect their tenuous hold over the gullible is shrinking fast in the wake of actual vaccine rollout and success. 

Speaking of L's - another vArIaNt on the scrapheap:

6 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

why have you lumped them in with the others? they're the complete opposite. Fair enough they might not want to let us in but there's no reason why we can't let them in here

This is true, but remember that if they come here, they will struggle to get back in due to a quota (Australia) or they will be shelling out several thousand dollars for quarantine hotel. That's enough of a deterrent for the vast majority. 

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont get where youre getting the USA as ‘out for a long time yet’ given just about every travel writer is suggesting we’ll be flying there from June.

I think the US and pretty much all of Europe will be a goer by mid to late summer. Further afield will likely take considerably longer, though.

11 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thats virgin atlantic pulled out of Glasgow due to the uncertainty from the Scottish Government. Ah well. 

Got the email to confirm this just now. Looks like all Glasgow Virgin flights for the summer season canned.

Disappointing given we’ll all have had at least our first vaccine by then and the US is finally ramping up their vaccination program too. Speaking with the Mrs the biggest concern is not getting the virus, but getting stuck over there/having to formally quarantine with the US switching from a green list country to a red. 

Virgin have kindly rebooked us automatically from Manchester - I think not! Will be cancelling and rebooking on BA via Heathrow. 

Feel for the airlines though. This must be a nightmare. 

17 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I think the US and pretty much all of Europe will be a goer by mid to late summer. Further afield will likely take considerably longer, though.

With half of the states in the US ditching masks, and some (including Florida) allowing venues etc to operate at 100% it will be interesting to see what impact people getting a taste of that again will have on the lifting of restrictions here.

25 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Purely going by their posture not having a in-country quarantine policy is a very hard line to take. I would imagine they will introduce something like that before opening up fully Biden is far more interested about sorting things out domestically than the international aspect imo.

I think 5 weeks is too short a time frame for them to ease things back to a level where people are flying there without restrictions. I hope I'm wrong but that's the feeling I have got from speaking to people over there.

38 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Australia are on record saying they aren't interested in opening their borders potentially until 2022 (which is mad), New Zealand likely to be the same and their vaccination roll outs have been fairly slow and their base line levels of natural immunity will be next to 0.

We might be interested in them coming here but the feasibility of flying planes that are full taking people to Europe but empty for at least the first month or so coming back I think will scupper the idea and that's before they potentially say you would have to isolate in government accommodation before reentry as you would just now if you could get there. 

54 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Whereas your contributions, which consist of complaining about people complaining, have really been the interesting commentary this thread has needed.

"Wee Bully" has completely lost the place over the course of the year. Seems to be one of those posters who view issues solely through the prism of The Pie And Bovril Football Forum (eg an advisor suggests restrictions on our lives and the reaction is "I love the seethe").

They may well join the 8MileBUs and the Ad Libs of this world on my Ignore List. Hasn't quite reached those depths but trending in that direction fo' sho'.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

With half of the states in the US ditching masks, and some (including Florida) allowing venues etc to operate at 100% it will be interesting to see what impact people getting a taste of that again will have on the lifting of restrictions here.

Yup. The time I spent in Poland last summer is the most normal life has felt for me since February 2020. Other than it being quieter than usual in Kraków and masks being worn in shops and on transport, people were just getting on with it.

Edited by Elixir

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Sky sports news yesterday said they don’t expect countries where Superleague clubs arose from to be offered anything extra.

Then again they were screaming about punishing the 6 clubs repeatedly and were probably using it as a stick to beat them with.

Not sure this is quite the case, I think they're not planning to use the Super League clubs' stadiums - Tottenham's new was supposed to be in the running for some games. The English FA were very supportive of UEFA, so I can't see why the likes of Wembley, St James' Park, Villa Park or the London Stadium would be off the table.

"Wee Bully" has completely lost the place over the course of the year. Seems to be one of those posters who view issues solely through the prism of The Pie And Bovril Football Forum (eg an advisor suggests restrictions on our lives and the reaction is "I love the seethe").
They may well join the 8MileBUs and the Ad Libs of this world on my Ignore List. Hasn't quite reached those depths but trending in that direction fo' sho'.

I think I’ve done that a couple of times tops.

I actually think that the problem on this thread, and I’ve alluded to it before, is that some people spend too much time on it in an echo chamber validating each other’s views. Those views have got increasingly entrenched, but they’ve been consistent in certain posters since the start. As we all know for instance, Todd_is_God pronounced this over as a public health emergency in August.

I absolutely disagree with Devi on vaccines, and said that at the time, but regardless of what she says, she gets slaughtered. Playing the (wo)man and not the ball. I also think the abuse towards “Clownshoes” is massively over the top. Especially when people say “he’s just a dentist” ignoring all the other qualifications and jobs he has had. The equivalent of calling me a paperboy tbh, as that was my first job 30 years ago.

Frankly, I just want this to be over, and go to the pub.

39 minutes ago, Munter said:

Got the email to confirm this just now. Looks like all Glasgow Virgin flights for the summer season canned.

Disappointing given we’ll all have had at least our first vaccine by then and the US is finally ramping up their vaccination program too. Speaking with the Mrs the biggest concern is not getting the virus, but getting stuck over there/having to formally quarantine with the US switching from a green list country to a red. 

Virgin have kindly rebooked us automatically from Manchester - I think not! Will be cancelling and rebooking on BA via Heathrow. 

Feel for the airlines though. This must be a nightmare. 

Im getting transferred to Manchester also, there is some tui flights but im just gonna go because I like Manchester, the Radisson Blu is a nice wee hotel. 

I saw Majorcan business leaders complaining this week that they think the vaccine rollout there (6% coverage only so far) is giving them no chance then 24h later Simon Calder (pretty much been wrong throughout this) had them on his initial "green" list. It's all a wait and see for now. Cyprus say no problem but there current having a massive resurgence ditto Turkey. It's going to be another summer of whack a mole restrictions in travel no doubt. Uncertainty, testing, masks SD and potential quarantine all going to be hurdles folk will need to accept if wanting to go. I will definitely be doing anything very last minute.

5 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

As we all know for instance, Todd_is_God pronounced this over as a public health emergency in August.

This is what I mean. Who gives a rat's ass what some no mark on The Pie and Bovril Scottish Football Forum said 8 months ago in relation to a pandemic?