Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

My take of it is feeling much more normal than what we have now.

It probably doesn't mean feeling normal like it did back in 2019, the world has forever changed.

The world always changes, though, in the same way that 2019 was different from say, 2009. Life will feel normal again as soon as all NPI's and restrictions in law are fired straight in the bin. Moon howlers are entitled to continue their own mitigation and personal lockdowns for a threat that no longer exists, but that doesn't mean life won't feel normal for me when I can go to a bar and get pished while planning another holiday abroad.

24 minutes ago, Snafu said:

There would be an acceptable herd immunity percentage in this country one would presume?

There's no such thing as 'acceptable herd immunity', just herd immunity.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

The world has forever changed.

Has it though? Forever? I mean in 10, 15, 20 years time do you think we are still going to be wandering about in masks and having to scan your phone to get into the fitba? The only thing I could see changing permanently would be regarding vaccines for international travel but there are already many countries that you need certain vaccines to visit so I wouldn't class that as much of a change. 

There has been pandemics before and things get back to the way they were sooner or later. Despite the hyperbole over the last year, this will be the same. 

3 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Has it though? Forever? I mean in 10, 15, 20 years time do you think we are still going to be wandering about in masks and having to scan your phone to get into the fitba? The only thing I could see changing permanently would be regarding vaccines for international travel but there are already many countries that you need certain vaccines to visit so I wouldn't class that as much of a change. 

There has been pandemics before and things get back to the way they were sooner or later. Despite the hyperbole over the last year, this will be the same. 

Indeed. Of course, we could choose to drag things out long after they need to be... but in the end, life will return to normal. I fully expect that by the middle of this decade we'll be living to excess, as tends to follow crises: see post-WWI/Spanish Flu, post-WWII, and so on.

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Indeed. Of course, we could choose to drag things out long after they need to be... but in the end, life will return to normal. I fully expect that by the middle of this decade we'll be living to excess, as tends to follow crises: see post-WWI/Spanish Flu, post-WWII, and so on.

We absolutely will.  I predict we will be doing so this year and hospitality will be booming. 

Remember that hairdresser that kept being fined for not closing and pulled the 'Freeman on the land' defence? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56828306

Unsurprisingly she did not pay her fines and is is now up in court. I think a lot of the higher Covid fines were disproportionate, so will be interesting to see what happens. Notably however this isn't a daft student that had a party, but someone who repeatedly refused to close her salon. 

Remember that hairdresser that kept being fined for not closing and pulled the 'Freeman on the land' defence? 
Unsurprisingly she did not pay her fines and is is now up in court. I think a lot of the higher Covid fines were disproportionate, so will be interesting to see what happens. Notably however this isn't a daft student that had a party, but someone who repeatedly refused to close her salon. 
This article explains why her defence is complete and utter nonsense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thesecretbarrister.com/2020/11/28/can-magna-carta-and-common-law-give-you-immunity-from-covid-regulations/amp/

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Ive heard of a few ‘freemen of the land’ types up here try and use ‘magna carta’ as a defence for all manner of things, they dont seem to get that even though its a ridiculous defence its also not relevant to Scotland. 

14 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Wow, Is this really what you are reading into that post and after my smoking cigars and get these restrictions in the bin posts over the last few months, I never knew I was thinking about all that when I wrote it?

It was merely a retort to the assertion that things have changed forever. I don't think they have. It will take a few years but eventually we will get back to the way things were pre-2020, as always happens.

Anyone using the “freeman of the land” pish, deserves to be removed from society for the benefit of everyone else. 20 year sentence should be adequate for her being an utter moron.

6 hours ago, Elixir said:

So the ECDC join the CDC in saying fully vaccinated people can fire their masks in the bin, and don't need to social distance from other fully vaccinated people... which will be 90%+ of the UK population.

What's to happen to the other 10%? Have they to still keep wearing a mask and stay 2 metres apart 😑

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

And there we have it. To the surprise of absolutely no-one, people do not catch Covid from being close to people who don't have Covid.

..well, if the express says so...

Your Spanish Flu patter yesterday deserves more respect than using that rag as a reference.