Coronavirus (COVID-19)

51 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's so cool that we're at the stage of the pandemic where we're sharing graphs and threads from furries and Paul Atreides Dune parody accounts. This shit rocks.

Fear is the mind killer. Relevant.

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Michael W said:

As has been stated in the previous few posts, anything that coaxes the millions scarred by this back on the road to normality probably shouldn't be knocked or dismissed.

Incorrect, because these utterly useless, token restrictions in terms of public health impact have actual costs for businesses and individuals who are obliged to jump through ridiculous hoops. And so should be launched in the bin. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

Those are certainly not all smartphones and not all those that are smartphones will necessarily be capable of downloading the latest apps.

You are looking at probably around 10 million people in the UK without access to a suitable smartphone. That is not a minor thing. It should not be mandatory to buy one of these to engage in normal everyday life and it will never be IMO.

Nobody is saying a smart phone will be mandatory.

We shouldnt be allowing the fact that obstacles to vaccine passports (smart phone onwership eg) are relatively easy to remove, to cloud the fact that vaccine passports for domestic use are, and forever will be a fucking nonsense idea.

17 minutes ago, GiGi said:

We under 100 in hospitals yet?

Hospital number 107 (106 yesterday).

ICU number  14  (13 yesterday).

273 new cases of COVID-19 reported

24,349 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

1.3% of these were positive

1 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

2,752,575 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 847,655 have received their second dose

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

44 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That is a ridiculous argument. :lol:

Thanks for giving me a good laugh though. Needed cheering up.

How is it ridiculous?

You said a flu wouldn't kill x amount, I provided an example of one which killed nearly 2x.

It's not my fault you picked such a poor example.

Edited by Todd_is_God

55 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I literally just googled the percentage of UK households with a mobile phone. It has apparently stayed around 95% since 2015. These are given from statistica.com. If you have better figures then I'm happy to hear them. 

Which can be easily put onto a memory card of some sort, or a computer. I get you don't want them to happen, we'd all rather not have them, but the reasons being thrown out here are like a child trying to come up with reasons why he can't do his homework. 

So any A*r fans who are, for example, pregnant, young, or contra-indicated for the vaccine - all perfectly viable, real-world reasons why people may not be vaccinated and are not through choice. Are you suggesting that they should 

a. Be banned from entering "101 things to cover with black gloss" stadium, or

b. Be allowed entry into a segregated wee ghetto, or

c. Be allowed to mix in gen pop, but carry a bell to ring in warning of their status, or

d. Have some other, blatantly discriminatory, sanction placed upon them?

p.s. The remark on phones was supposed to be light-hearted - it was always going to be about that level. 

37 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We shouldnt be allowing the fact that obstacles to vaccine passports (smart phone onwership eg) are relatively easy to remove, to cloud the fact that vaccine passports for domestic use are, and forever will be a fucking nonsense idea.

Not if they achieve the desired aim - which is in no way related to protecting Public Health. 

"You can have a wee card instead of the app" - last little tranche of society captured for future discrimination. I wonder how long it will be before mine has a digital red "J" watermarked on it?

*For "Jock".

44 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Where are these models coming from that there could be 30,000 -100,000 deaths over the next year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56830398

This gubbins, discredited modelling still being wheeled out. Sensational.

As for 'vaccine passports' - remind me what the point in them is if not for mission creep when it's clear we will have 90%+ uptake in this country, and those who can't be vaccinated for whatever reason are likely to be given some form of exemption anyway? Will we be inconvenienced with checkpoints because of a tiny handful of anti-vaxxers, which won't make a bit of difference to hospitalisation rates. It's pure coercion even if they say it is 'temporary' and flies in the face of every principle of public health that used to exist before this whole shit show, though it's been clear that most of that has went out the window long before now anyway.

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

So any A*r fans who are, for example, pregnant, young, or contra-indicated for the vaccine - all perfectly viable, real-world reasons why people may not be vaccinated and are not through choice. Are you suggesting that they should 

a. Be banned from entering "101 things to cover with black gloss" stadium, or

b. Be allowed entry into a segregated wee ghetto, or

c. Be allowed to mix in gen pop, but carry a bell to ring in warning of their status, or

d. Have some other, blatantly discriminatory, sanction placed upon them?

p.s. The remark on phones was supposed to be light-hearted - it was always going to be about that level. 

I'm not sure if you've mistaken me for Michael Gove or something, but I haven't suggested anything to do with any of this. I would rather I didn't have a passport to enter a pub but I'm not going to act like it's the end of my human rights if I do. 

I simply pointed out to Thereisalight that old people/technophobes won't be excluded, there are simple work-arounds for those who can't do what the majority are doing. FWIW, none of the people you mention above will be excluded either, they will be allowed to enter places at their own risk. They've already said kids won't need a vaccine passport, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out that those who can't be vaccinated won't need a passport either. 

Spanish Flu killed 228,000 in the UK. Last time I checked that was a flu virus. 
Highlighting that Covid 19 is not as deadly as the hysteria that was generated last March is not the same as saying it doesn't exist.
Wow, staggering levels of intellectual dishonesty. You're fully aware than when people compare Covid to flu, they mean modern flu outbreaks, not the fucking Spanish one.

23 hours ago, superbigal said:

Daily Cases Update:  Another decent  day as we have total cases down 2.19% to 1517, infectivety down again to 1.4%  & infections down to 28.4 per 100K .  Contrast with some of our European friends below. No "Green lights" coming for Turkey, Cyprus, Croatia, France or Greece anytime soon.  I suspect Portugal will be the only country deemed safe for the sun seekers.

We now have 8 of 32 local authorities with cases per 100K under 5.0

Loads of movement in the table which does happen when numbers are low.  However great days for Dundee, Fife, Glasgow and once again all parts of Renfrewshire.  Only Lanarkshire seems stubborn to ever come down into real level 2 numbers.

Particular mention for Stirling with only 12 cases having been top of the charts only just a few weeks ago.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Total Cases 7 days from 12th April to 18th April  were 1551 now 1517 down 2.19%. Positivity was 1.5% now 1.4%.   Cases per 100k were 28.4 now 27.8

Home Nations Daily update:  UK Average  27.2 to 26.1 down 4.04%, England 26.8 to 25.8 down 3.73%,  Wales  16.4 to 15.8 down 3.66%, Northern Ireland 44.5 to 43.7 down 1.80% 

European (Above 2 Million Population) : Sweden 415 to 413, Croatia 372 to 373, France 371 to 341, Netherlands 307, Hungary 394 to 286, Serbia 314 to 284, Poland 372 to 283  all destinations over 250 cases per 100K

Special mention for Turkey as a popular destination at 505, Cyprus even worse at 543 !!

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Under 75 could do better club

Clackmannanshire  58.2 to 62.1 they still cannot get down !!! 

Glasgow City 55.8 to 50.9  Great drop of 8.78% 

North Lanarkshire  49.2 to 50.4  Lanarkshire generally rising

South Lanarkshire 46.8 to 46.8  Carluke South now Scotland's most dangerous neighbourhood.

East Renfrewshire 44.0 to 39.8  Brilliant down 9.55%

Moray  24.0 to 33.4   Elgin upstarts put it back in with the rogues. 

Renfrewshire  38.5 to 32.9 Outstanding another 14.55% on top of huge recent drops.

East Ayrshire   25.4 to 30.3  Back in with the rogues

West Lothian   35.5 to 30.0 Brilliant down another 15.49%

Perth & Kinross    26.3 to 28.3 Back in with the rogues 

Under Scottish Average club 27.8

Dundee City  30.1 to 27.5  Brilliant 8.64% drop goes below average

Fife    31.1 to 27.0  Another 13.18% drop and goes below average, outstanding.

Falkirk  27.3 to 26.7

East Dunbartonshire  19.3 to 24.9  Put the Cigars out again   

Aberdeen City 26.2 to 24.5  

North Ayrshire   22.3 to 24.5

City Of Edinburgh  18.7 to 21.1   The Calders snuffing out the cigars   

The  🚬 Club Sub 20.0

Aberdeenshire 14.9 to 16.1

Inverclyde  12.9 to 15.4 

Highlands  17.4 to 15.3

West Dunbartonshire  13.5 to 13.5

Stirling   14.9 to 12.7  Astonishing progress from top spot to down here

South Ayrshire  8.0 to 11.5    

Angus  12.0 to 11.2

Midlothian   6.5 to 4.3 

Argyll & Bute  4.7 to 3.5 

East Lothian   3.7 to 3.5  

Dumfries & Galloway  2.7 to 2.0 

Scottish  Borders  2.6 to  2.6

Shetland Islands  0.0 to 0.0  

Western Isles   0.0 to 0.0

Orkney Island  0.0 to 0.0  

Edited by superbigal

48 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Hospital number 107 (106 yesterday).

ICU number  14  (13 yesterday).

273 new cases of COVID-19 reported

24,349 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

1.3% of these were positive

1 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

2,752,575 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 847,655 have received their second dose

The stubbornness of hospital data is riling me.