Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Only yesterday, Sky had those fringe loons Gurdasani and Pagel in an article saying it was definitely the immunity dodging super variant responsible for the rise in infections in India. Meanwhile, from an actual world-leading expert whose remit this is:

Prof Sharon Peacock, the Cambridge University microbiologist who leads the UK's gene sequencing efforts to track variants, says it is too early to say if the variant seen in India is to blame for its rising infection rate.

Prof Peacock told the BBC's World at One the "major surge" seen in India may be "simply due to human behaviour" or it may be the variant - or it might be a mix of the two.

‘Everyone visiting a hospitality setting must remain at least 1 metre apart from the next person, unless from the same household or a carer.’

That is probably the worst rule yet of these new restrictions. But you can sit in a church with 50 people or walk around a shop without any issues [emoji38] 
Would not be surprised if any venues ignore that shocking rule. The SG couldn’t give a toss about the hospitality industry. 
2m in churches.

NS hinting at July to get past 'Level 0' which you would assume is an end to social distancing etc. 
I recently contacted a works liasion at SG for a heads up re whether it was worth the time and effort to arrange an in-person training event later this year. The response was to arrange something online as social distancing will remain in place all year. This wasn't a formal request but suffice to say I haven't started pricing sausage rolls.

While I understand that shops, pubs etc do need time to prepare to open (and couldn’t necessarily risk doing so before today) I don’t see why takeaways can’t return to indoor collection straight away. 

10 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Conspiracy theorist, pants-shitting paedophile Ted Nugent has it. Good work Covid. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/news/music/ted-nugent-has-caught-covid-19-after-calling-it-not-a-real-pandemic-2924035%3famp

Nah, it's Cat Scratch Fever.

36 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Was more referring to this scramble to evade quarantine shite. If you announce it it’s got to be effective immediately Shirley?

It’s not quarantine people are trying to evade.  Everyone has to quarantine regardless.  It’s managed quarantine where you have to pay £1500 or so for the privilege instead of being at home for free.

I don’t believe for a second that everyone that is supposed to be quarantining at home is doing so and I agree managed quarantine should be effective immediately.

What I don’t get is how there are all these allegedly full flights coming back from India.  That many people have had valid reasons to travel abroad lately? 

34 minutes ago, ddfg said:
6 hours ago, Scosha said:
NS hinting at July to get past 'Level 0' which you would assume is an end to social distancing etc. 

I recently contacted a works liasion at SG for a heads up re whether it was worth the time and effort to arrange an in-person training event later this year. The response was to arrange something online as social distancing will remain in place all year. This wasn't a formal request but suffice to say I haven't started pricing sausage rolls.

I'm not going to get annoyed at this because it will more than likely play out differently, but I'll add it to the list of things that will almost certainly happen within weeks of England ditching it.

That their hand will be forced on this is good for the general public, but the impact this will have on venues who would be banking on events being allowed in Q3/Q4 in order to generate much needed revenue will be considerable.

No point suddenly going "good news, guys, you can hold events now" if that kind of advice is being given to event organisers just now, as they will plan online things instead, and the venues will be left empty later in the year.

If it wasn't as potentially catastrophic to the future of so many venues, the SG's apparant inability to think mid-long term would be amusing.

I can't believe there is anyone within the SG who actually believes that keeping SD in place until 2022 is either necessary or viable, so drop the "we just don't know" act and give these businesses a chance at surviving once the Covid Relief rug is pulled from under their feet.

5 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

“Annette from Leicester asks if the daily Covid statistics on hospitalisations and deaths will begin to detail those who have received vaccinations”

Fucking hell.

0-0

Should come with a caveat about no restrictions but covid passports. Guaranteed 
It appears from tonight that The WMG are looking at implementing mandatory testing and vaccine passports but not classing them as a "restriction" ie part of the "new normal" but being sold to us as perfectly "normal"

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
25 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Should come with a caveat about no restrictions but covid passports. Guaranteed 

It appears from tonight that The WMG are looking at implementing mandatory testing and vaccine passports but not classing them as a "restriction" ie part of the "new normal" but being sold to us as perfectly "normal"

Absolute bullshit this "new normal". Vaccine passports dont guarantee anything. Hopefully the SG will have the backbone to fire this idea in the sea