Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It was as optimistic and as upbeat as Nicola can be, however in reality who wants to go for a drive with the family/ other half to end up somewhere that is closed apart from having a takeaway coffee. I suppose it legitimises folk who might have been travelling to see family and friends but it’s no real change tbh. 

Just now, Lyle Lanley said:

Great news the travel ban is lifted earlier than expected. Don’t see why they can’t open shops and hospitality at the same time. 

Surely it's a bit much to give 3 days notice for opening from a 4 month shut down stuff like fresh produce wouldn't be in yet and staff may still be on furlough or away from the town of employment etc.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

She was visibly smiling at one point.

The biggest part for me was 'legally obliged', I'm choosing to view that as we might get something extra before the election. 

Just now, TheScarf said:

Johnson had basically written of the vaccine here. 

Is he chatting shit somewhere? Why is he competing with an announcement from one of the other nations.

Surely hes not going to reverse anything.

It was as optimistic and as upbeat as Nicola can be, however in reality who wants to go for a drive with the family/ other half to end up somewhere that is closed apart from having a takeaway coffee. I suppose it legitimises folk who might have been travelling to see family and friends but it’s no real change tbh. 
Thousands of folk I expect. Wait to see the roads this weekend with folk "out for a run" in their cars. Coast here will be mobbed and cafes, chippies etc will be delighted to see them.

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Travel ban lifted on Friday. Great news

Yep, visiting my son and his family on Sunday will no longer be a crime. 

About time the outdoor and travel restrictions were lifted. The threat posed by a couple of folk bouncing up Ben Inthemiddleoffuckingnowhere is non existent.

Edited by RiG

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah, you are picking and choosing data to suit your own agenda here.

For a start, vaccinations had barely begun in January so you're not giving a fair comparison. You need to compare with probably mid-February onwards and ideally you want to compare pretty much exactly the same month periods. Specifically, comparing last July with this April is a fatal flaw in your analysis.

Worldometer statistics clearly show that the rate of drop in infections this last few months has been significantly faster than at any other time. It's the same picture for deaths.  Also, we are seeing declining cases, hospitalisatiuons and deaths at a time where most European countries appear to be seeing exponential rises. That rules out lockdown as being the main driver, leaving vaccines as the only possible other reason.

Anyone suggesting the vaccine hasn't been the prime changer in this has a duty to explain the data and I've not heard anyone doing that right now.

Finally, Boris is a grade A fucking idiot. You can't trust a single syllable which comes from his mouth.

I think you are misunderstanding the point I am making.  I carried out a rudimentary comparison of a 3 month period roughly coinciding with the imposition of a lock down with and without vaccines.  Im not claiming to be a statistician, merely pointing out that, at first glance, the rate of reduction of hospitalisations is similar but with other variables that suggest the vaccines are playing a role, albeit their full benefit is yet to be seen.  Its just not black and white that one or the other is the main driver.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Is he chatting shit somewhere? Why is he competing with an announcement from one of the other nations.

Surely hes not going to reverse anything.

Was breaking news on Sky about half an hour ago. He said the lockdown was the main reason for the drop in cases, hospitalisation and deaths. Not the vaccines.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Was breaking news on Sky about half an hour ago. He said the lockdown was the main reason for the drop in cases, hospitalisation and deaths. Not the vaccines.

Take no notice of the think blonde thunder shagging c**t.

That is fucking ridiculous from Johnson. If he truly believed that the improving picture was solely down to lockdown and vaccines were not doing as expected why the f**k has he just significantly lifted the only measures he seems to think were effective ? The mans a total loonball.
I suspect he has seen pictures of last night in big cities which showed mostly under 40s out partying ie mostly unvaccinated and is covering his arse here for any rise in cases that should be roundly ignored but clearly are not going to be. It suggests to me new cases are still going to be the key measure going forward unfortunately.